OT Me 262 in flight

Thread: OT Me 262 in flight

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Beautyful plane

They did a great job on the reproduction, even hid the modern engines inside a correct Jumo shell and limited power to reflect the output of the originals. Would love to see one fly in person!

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Seen one on youtube quite a while ago. Very well done and very limited in production. Thanks for sharing.

There is an air show about 25 miles from me at the beginning of November and in the list of performing aircraft is, Military Aviation Museum Me 262 along with a picture of it. I originally thought it was a misprint, didn't know one was flying in the U.S.

Thanks for the heads up, I live in Waxhaw currently, I assume this would be Warbirds over Monroe? I'll make sure I'm not doing anything else that day!

Legend Flyers at Paine Field in Everett, Washington completed the three full-scale flying reproduction Me-262's (all fitted with modern CJ610 turbojet engines) as well as a static example. Two of these are flying in the US and one of them is flying in Germany (the one seen in the video). The Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach owns/operates one (a single-seater, registered as N262MF), and the Collings Foundation owns/operates another (a two-seater, registered as N262AZ) which generally is based in Houston, Texas year-round, but also makes a few of the tour stops down south with the Collings Foundation bombers. The flying example in Germany, registered as D-IMTT, is owned/operated by the Messerschmitt Foundation/Airbus Group (previously EADS). The static Me-262 they completed is displayed at the Evergreen Aviation Museum.

However, there is a completely original Me-262 that is about to fly again early next year, owned by the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum located at Paine Field in Everett, Washington - and, unlike the reproductions, this one is powered by newly-manufactured Jumo 004 engines (matching the original design, but with improvements and use of modern materials - the expectation is that, unlike the originals, they'll actually be able to get at least a few hundred hours out of them before overhaul). The aircraft is expected to begin its taxi-tests just about any day now (the aircraft is currently located at the Arlington, WA airport). http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-rest...ss-report.html
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

You're killing me. I knew of this project, but I didn't know it was so far along and that would be doing taxi tests in front of my old workplace at Arlington airport. Now I live on the opposite side of the country.

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar
    Seems like everything that comes out of the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum is as original as possible...
    I believe the sole FW 190 with BMW 801 power lives there.
    cheers

I'm working with Boeing on the KC-46 in the buildings right next door to that Museum.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Nice! Field trip, or did you move? What kind of work is it?

Members who have read this thread: 0