Screenshot format

Thread: Screenshot format

Screenshot format

I've a vague idea that there's a way to change the default screenshot format from bmp to jpg. Is that right, and, if so, could someone tell me how, please?

Thanks,

David
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

I wasn't aware that there was a "default" format David. I just upload jpegs.

I believe this is only possible in P3D, not in FSX. FSX will only save BPM format for screenshots.
    You can however use an external program to capture screenshots. These programs might offer you the choice of formats for the pictures.
    I don't remember the program names though, as I never used them (I have always been using the default screenshot feature via the V key, then converting the picture to JPEG through an image edition program)

Convert Bmp to Jpg

The easiest way to convert the bmp you get with FSX 'V' key is to get IrFanview. FSX saves the screenshot to 'C\Users\Your Name\My Pictures\Flight Simulator X Files' folder as a BMP. You then simply Dbl Click the bmp FILENAME and it will open in IrFanview. You resize, crop, etc and then pick 'Save As' and it should offer to save as jpg to wherever you want (ie: browse). Or enter the filename and add '.jpg' and it's ''converted'' just like that. Too easy! Then you go delete the bmp (9 mb) and keep the jpg (143 kb). Ha!

About IrFanview. It is the least complicated graphic editor out there. It comes in 64 bit (3.4 mb) or 32 bit (2.4 mb). Got to 'http://www.irfranview.com' and pick the one that matches your OS. Current (2018) version is 4.51. It is FREE. It works perfect. It has 'plug-ins' galore, but are not required (it is seperate download). You can't go wrong with IrFanview. After you use it a few times you will no doubt LOVE IT (I do). It was made by Irfan Skiljan and developed by hundreds of people over the years. The 32 bit version has had 8 Million downloads. The 64 bit has had 4 Million downloads. GET IT!
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Thank you. I must have been thinking of P3D. I'll just go on as always, pressing V and converting. I agree about IrFanview - it's a very useful program. GrabClipSave is another which will let you set the format and destination folder.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

There's always 'fraps', of course. Does exactly what you want.

Dave

Hello,

Take a look at Snapper (needs FSUIPC for display of nearest airport option ...). Works like a charm ! No need to convert. Does exactly what you want and more

http://www.michielovertoom.com/software/snapper/

Gérard

Members who have read this thread: 0