Zeebrugge Naval Air Station Flanders 1
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Zeebrugge Naval Air Station Flanders 1

Zeebrugge Naval Air Station Flanders 1

I'm about half way through placing infrastructure for the WW1 German Naval air base at Zeebrugge. Photographs and drawings show the base to be quite different to the Zeebrugge of WW2, so GSL scenery needs to reflect that fact. At the heart of the Zeebrugge base was the mole, a large curving concrete structure which jutted out into the sea.

I am looking for someone interested in making a model of the mole. It would need to either support existing railway tracks or have rail lines simulated along the "deck". It would also have to support several small hangars and warehouses already in the library, as well as a few cranes.

There are a number of excellent piers in the library, but none really capture the look of this structure which was at the heart of such an important base. We already have one float plane ready to take up residence.

Anyone interested please PM me.

Thanks,

Ravenna

Pics, blueprint would he helpfull...
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Yep, I can put those together.

some sketches and pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mole2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	64336Attachment 64335

I have no idea how your putting a buildings on this thing. If I make it taller the building will be put inside the mole...

Gee Allen, if the PBY is an indication of the scale there would be plenty of room for a small hangar or warehouse x 4. If you look at the aerial photograph of the mole, taken from right above, the buildings look a bit crowded and not too far from the rail tracks. What I'm seeing in your pic is very pleasing. I was thinking of using one of Robert John's rail bridges to span the distance from the land to the mole. If you put a narrow concrete section on the end it only needs to be wide enough to take the generic lighthouse from the library.

Thanks, Michael

The mole is model using this map. http://www.naval-history.net/WW1Book-RN5-247.JPG It has scale so I was able to get it close to real would size. Height from the water is the problem. It looks to be 10 or 20 feet off of the water http://centenarynews.com/media/uploa...iaorw2sxqs.jpg but doing so would make putting GSL building on the mole impossible as the game would put them on the water under the mole.

The light house part was already there but I missed it on the top view screen shot.
    Attachment 64344

Library Staff
    Great work Allen! Xavier's inf_xb_pierwhouse is designed for placing on his concrete piers.

Great work

Allen,

Your mole is looking great. If the top was about 6 feet above the water surface would buildings be placeable? If buildings would still sink through, perhaps a work around would be small flat topped hangars and sheds/storage buildings built into the model. Being able to place buildings would be preferable. As Kevin said, Xavier's warehouses might work. I suspect they are set to match the height of Xavier's piers but that could be tested.

Would guns be placeable along the mole, either in a layout or in a mission (gun placements changed considerably from 1916 to late 1918)?

Looking again at your photo of the mole from the lighthouse. The tallest parts seem to be walls along the south facing side. The side facing the canal and anchorage looks lower. Would it be possible to make a separate model of the narrow end (from the mole deck to the lighthouse plinth)? To be a bit clearer, I think your mole model is great as it is, but an extra placeable narrow curved section would be useful at the canal mouth (see the map you posted).

Well, Allen is By Far one of the Best:

be sure to check out more of his great work here:
    http://thefreeflightsite.com/Allen.htm
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Wall the wall that faces the sea is there. I think it is 8 feet tall from the mole deck. Dose look like I messed up the light house part so back to Blender... As for objects on top. I really don't want make any my self. If you know of objects made that I can add the on that would be good.

As for height from water. I need a number or link to Xavier objects if they are going to be use and the objects your using to link the mole back to land.

Hi Guys,

If the buildings you want to use are single BGL's I don't think it would be too difficult to create new ones that were of the correct height.

Let me know if I can help.

Regards,

B24Guy

Allen, here is a suggestion: If you copy the narrow section between the mole and the lighthouse and make it into a new object it could be used as the pier jutting out from the coastline. That would be 1761 feet long. Between the pier and the mole there is a rail viaduct 984 feet long, like a jetty on stilts. That would have a height the same as the mole you have made.

This would mean 3 objects: 1) the mole and lighthouse section 2) the copy of the lighthouse pier (without the lighthouse) and 3) the viaduct joining the first 2 objects.

The more I look at your concrete mole the more impressed I am.

Quote Originally Posted by The B24 Guy View Post
    Hi Guys,

If the buildings you want to use are single BGL's I don't think it would be too difficult to create new ones that were of the correct height.

Let me know if I can help.

Regards,
    B24Guy
    Recycling already made WWI buildings would work fine as I work in gMax and can import buildings.

Wonderful work, Guys. Here is some period footage of Friedrichshafen FF.33s operating from off the Mole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rqxwEbWUk0

"Don't just stand there... get one up!"

AER_DaddyO

Library Staff
    Allen,

Xavier's pier warehouse is found in "CFS2 Piers and Breakwaters v. 1.1 - 2016.zip" on page 2 of the Scenery section.

Great footage AER_DaddyO.

Kevin

The pack only has one building. It looks to be a CFS1 warehouse moved up to sit on his docks... I think I'm going to just stick some buildings on the dock and call it good....

Thanks for the link Aer Daddyo.

Allen, some of Wolfi's infrastructure is usable on piers and docks. Would you like to post what you have already so that we can place objects on the mole.

Did my earlier suggestion make sense?

Looking at that footage of the mole and the ship alongside it is clear that the mole deck comes about half way up the ship's mast....perhaps a little more. It would be useful to see how Xavier's pier warehouse sits at this height.

Just had a look at Xavier's warehouse siting on one of his piers. I think you are right Kevin. It is certainly worth trying. Wolfi's cranes work on Xavier's piers so they should be useful here. The only ??? is whether guns would be placeable along the mole closer to the lighthouse. Would they have to be altered to sit on top of the mole?

Thanks Allen. Off to try it now.

Put some infrastructure on the deck. No particular arrangement, just to see what would sit correctly to simulate the building/structure types present during 1914-1918.

Quite a few buildings look good. Xavier's pier warehouse, hangar type b, small, several of Cees Donker's small buildings, cranes a and b, the generic lighthouse and two of Xavier's hangars.all sit well. The mole as I placed it is connected to the land via Xavier's wooden piers and one of his concrete piers, all lining up well. The only downside is the placement of naval guns, which should sit along the seawall closer to the lighthouse. At the moment the AF guns are able to sit in the mole deck i.e. slightly sunken. To point out to sea they would need to be worked on, or the seawall would need some gaps/gun ports to allow them to face the right way.

Great work Allan. Many thanks!

Glad things are working.

Members who have read this thread: 0