RAF Benson, Charlgrove and Mount Farm scenery

Thread: RAF Benson, Charlgrove and Mount Farm scenery

RAF Benson, Charlgrove and Mount Farm scenery

This is a collection of 3 airfields in Oxfordshire, England. Associated with photographic reconnassance
    operations, both RAF and USAAF, during WW2. I originally started doing just Benson, but the default FSX Charlgrove started getting on my nerve's everytime i flew over it, so i just had to do Charlgrove as well.
    And with those two airfields done, i had to include Mount Farm

RAF Benson

An expansion era airfield opened in 1938, home to Battle and Whitley sqd's during the phoney war and battle
    of France. December 1940 saw the arrival of No1 PRU ( photographic reconnassance unit ), from then on, Benson became the centre of PRU operation through out the rest of the war providing vital arial reconnassance for the D-Day invasion, Bomber command operations over northern Europe and the Dambuster raid's plus many more operation's. A number of No1 PRU detachments operated from Wick in Scotland and St Evel in Cornwall

Chalgrove, sta 465 USAAF

Constructed in 1942 and occupied in February 44 by the 9th airforce PRU USAAF. Flying mainly the photographic variant of the P-38, the F-5, Charlgrove PR units made a massive contribution to the build-up,invasion and aftermath of the D-Day landing's before moving to Rennes/St Jacques in France in August 44

Mount Farm, sta 234 USAAF

Originally, a satellite airfield to Benson, home to Anson's and Wellington's. It was March 1943 that the USAAF
    became the new residents. Converting to Spitfire's in May 43, due to a shortage of P-38/F-5, and supported operations over the Normandy beach head until moving to the continent in August 44

Once again,ive plunder'd and used IanP's excellent RAF building and vehicle librarys, which you can
    find here---

http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/ye-...nloade-filess/

There is also a basic traffic file for Benson using John Youngs Spitfire Mk XIX AI, this can be found
    in his Ai pack found here ---

acg_ai_pack1_fsx.zip from Flightsim.com

thanks, ian

some screens of Benson---

And a few screens of Charlgrove and Mount Farm

Thank you Ian!

There is quite a plethora of photos, many in color, taken at Mount Farm of a wide range of USAAF aircraft during the war years - a real hub of activity. Many aircraft that were based there, but also a lot of aircraft that were always just passing through - photo-recon Spitfires, photo-recon Lightnings, photo-recon and pathfinder Mustangs, P-47's, B-17's, B-24's, B-25's, B-26's, A-26's, AT-6 group hacks, C-47's and other transport and liaison types all could be seen there at any given time. It was obviously used as a meeting place for many of the various 8th AF Groups, likely due to its very central nature. More than a couple hundred fantastic photos, many in color, taken of aircraft seen at Mount Farm during the USAAF years can be seen here: http://www.americanairmuseum.com/place/255

Thanks Ian!

Members who have read this thread: 0