GAS Super Stearman
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: GAS Super Stearman

GAS Super Stearman

We are hard at work developing the follow on package for our Stearman project. The A75L300 is the first to be completed. Our artist Paul G has been hard at work developing schemes that will be used for this model and the 450 Pratt when developed. The versions will allow the cowl and wheel pants to be toggled on or off and an animated wing walker can be added all via the configuration manager. Here are some shots of the completed 300 Lycoming version

Didn't quite escape.
    It might take a bit of research as to exact models used, but would the "Utterly Butterly" aircraft that were operated in this country a few years ago be a good match for this pack?

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/ph...an-all-models/

Cheers,

Ian P.

Nice job, Paul and crew! These are looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    It might take a bit of research as to exact models used, but would the "Utterly Butterly" aircraft that were operated in this country a few years ago be a good match for this pack?

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/ph...an-all-models/

Cheers,

Ian P.
    We could do that Paul G loves a challenge. We'll see

Take a peek at the Wonderful 450hp Airshow Stearman known as "General Smoke" that was campaigned for years by Earl & Paula Cherry. "General Smoke," and the Hughes Super Stearman in the EAA Museum, N121R (N5051V) are probably the quintessential Airshow versions of the type in my opinion. The most widely seen has to have been the Red Baron Squadron airplanes.

Looking great!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Will this be a stand alone package ?
    If it is I'm in.

Virtigo did an Utterly Butterly for their
    Stinson.

Regards...Anthin.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthin View Post
    If it is I'm in.

Stinson.

Regards...Anthin.
    Again nice work from GAS!
    Id like to know also, will it separate product or payware extension for owners of earlier version of GAS Stearman (like me )?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Anthin View Post
    If it is I'm in.

Stinson.

Regards...Anthin.
    It will be a stand alone package. No prior purchase required. We envision that Lycoming 300, the 450 Pratt, a float plane and Agcat duster all included died in the package

Thanks for the reply.Definite buy for me.
    I really like that cockpit.

Regards...Anthin.

I love the new Stearman. will Crunchie be another possible for this one?
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Project Update

Its been a while since we updated the thread with where we are with the Super Stearman Project, so here goes. Three models of the 4 planned are completed with additional textures in the loop. Some of the ones you have seen in the previous post reallocated to the IB75N but a new one added to the A75L300. Here it is

The 450 Pratt and Whitney powered model is now complete awaiting additional textures. As with all models there is a unique configuration manager that allows the users to define how their aircraft will appear adding or subtracting parts

More

Here is the cockpit for the IB75N, the GPS may be added with the configuration manager

Stearman Float Plane

We finally found historical archival footage from the Boeing archives that allowed for an accurate modeling of the aircraft on factory installed floats. While we could not find evidence that the US Military had any Model 75s configured as float planes apparently Boeing developed the Model 76 as an export trainer / fighter variant and mounted floats on that version designating it the S76D1. It was Pratt and Whitney powered with either the Wright Junior at 320 hp or the Wright at 420 hp. We've provided for the latter. The configuration manager allows for the cowl to be removed. Replacing the land plane tie downs is a mooring float. While we can not know with certainly what the factory paint scheme was we assumed silver dope on the fabric and gray painted metal. The video we used is at the website below

https://secure.boeingimages.com/CS.a...D=2JRSXLJB0TI2

Here is the model in the sim

The final model will be a crop duster. If all goes well we'll be releasing the package around Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Spad54 View Post

The final model will be a crop duster. If all goes well we'll be releasing the package around Christmas
    Looking GREAT! First day buy for me!

Some Of the BEST Models I Ever had or Flew..its attention to Extreme detail Makes it Museum quality...For The Serous Simmer these are a must..A Historical statement....The boys At GAS Are to Be Proud with this..Long hours lots Of Work Great Attention to Authenticity ....a Joy To look at and To Fly!

Looking forward to this plane, my first ride in an plane was a Stearman and this flight was flown by my Uncle who was a Navy aviator who flew the F9F. Uncle Bob sure in the hell miss you!

Comment and a few Stearman pics

As many others I'm looking forward to purchasing the super Stearman as soon as it is available. The Stearman has a special place in my heart. I grew up on a farm in Eastern Arkansas. We farmed a little bit, did custom combine work, and owned what we called a "crop dusting" business. My father flew "crop dusters" for over 20 years. My little brother took over the business after returning from the Marine Corps. Although I left home for college and never really returned, some of the strongest memories of my misspent youth are of those spent sitting on the top wing loading and refueling Stearmans getting them ready for the next trip to the field. We also bought a 7AC Champ when I was 16 and had access to it any time we weren't working. The photos were made in the early 70's (I was a school teacher by then). The photos are interesting, at least to me! The first shows my father giving last minute instructions to my younger brother before he takes off. The second is interesting because it shows my dad working 40 acre cotton field which had about ten fully grown pecan trees in it. He's doing a flat turn around a tree about five feet off the ground. The third shows what a crop dusting field in the Arkansas Delta looked like before the EPA required better handling of chemicals. That orange and silver Stearman was my dad's last. When these photots were taken we already owned a Pawnee, primarily for my brother to learn ag flying with. My dad loved Stearmans........but ultimately they shifted over to AgCats and ultimately Turbine AgCats. Sadly the business and both my father and brother are gone.....except for my memories. I apologize for the trip down memory lane but if I recall correctly a crop duster is to be included in the super Stearman package. I can't expect one to have the aluminum clad fuselage covering as the one in the photos, but at least I hope I can paint it orange and silver.

Barry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Last minute instruction.jpg   stearman on run 2.jpg   stearman idling 2.jpg  

The best part of simming

Flying both civilian and military aircraft in FSX (FS9 before that) the best part of flight simming is the memories that our virtual worlds inspire us to remember. There are no apologies necessary to any of us for remembering happy times with your Dad and your brother especially with them gone now. The scenery I have created and the repaints I have done that were memories for others here are my joy when all the hard work is over to have made someone else happy. I know that is true of all the creators here with a little experience like me and a lot of experience who were my mentors. A "little bird" told me the crop duster is in the works.

Keep the blue side up even 5 feet off the ground LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ...................... I apologize for the trip down memory lane but if I recall correctly a crop duster is to be included in the super Stearman package. I can't expect one to have the aluminum clad fuselage covering as the one in the photos, but at least I hope I can paint it orange and silver.

Barry

[IMG
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65047&stc=1[/IMG]

The Crop Duster will have an aluminum clad fuselage

I'm looking forward to the release of the Super Stearman even more now. It just keeps getting better and better.

Thanks for all the Golden Age aircraft GAS has produced and for those yet to come.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by binarkansas View Post
    I'm looking forward to the release of the Super Stearman even more now. It just keeps getting better and better.

Thanks for all the Golden Age aircraft GAS has produced and for those yet to come.

Barry
    Barry,i enjoyed your story about your dad and brother (you too )..lol..anyway,thanks for sharing that,i love to read things like this.

Barry, as Dave said, thanks for sharing your story regarding the Stearman Crop Duster and your family and the pictures you posted as well. I think there are a lot of us looking forward to this release.

This is Robert Sanderson FS9 Boeing 75 Crop duster R985 450hp model without the sprayers. If possible to have this model? The solo cockpit makes it unique.

Repaint I did for my personal use.

This repaint was from the movie "The Aviator" (1985) with Christopher Reeves.

Notice the canvas cover (no front cockpit) for mail storage.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Members who have read this thread: 2