GAS Super Stearman - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GAS Super Stearman

SOH-CM-2020
    As far as I know we didn't have any Stearman doing ag work in NZ. A lot of Tiger Moths (prior to the introduction of the Fletcher) were converted for topdressing super etc with a hopper in place of the front cockpit.

I know Stearmans were used for ag work in the US, so I would guess that would cover liquids and solids.

Pete.

Did the Repaint of the "The Aviator" Mail Stearman ever get release in some form??

Well, I have this WIP version for the GAS freeware model I could work on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GAS M.jpg  

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

That scheme is great for many reasons.....

I had read "The Aviator" novel by the Late, Great, Ernest K. Gann in 1982 while I was in High School. ( bought it at Woolworth ) I had discovered Gann's books and spent about a year really devouring them one by one. When the Motion Picture staring Christopher Reeves hit the theatres, I went and saw it right away and thought it quite interesting the way the story came to life on the Big-Screen. Always a Lover of the Stearman...and Superman - The scenes in that movie were always great although this was not the same model Stearman that would have been flying the mail (if you squinted your eyes real tight....you could kinda see an M2 and it was believable!) As this new GAS Stearman package was discussed and the Post Military versions of the Stearman were discussed. I saw your postings of the repaint...got excited! Broke out the DVD and watched it again. Remebered that Christopher Reeves supposedly did his own Flying in the Movie. I was under the impression that it was going to be a part of the release, and then sort of forgotten about it until "The Aviator" and Air Mail Pilots came up in a conversation I was having the other day. This reminded me of your work and I started looking to see what happened to it! That and the Stearman I pinned into this thread on Dec 22nd, of N4734C when it was painted in 1960's Frontier Airlines paint are two of my favorite post War schemes on a saved sprayer/banner towing Stearman airframe.

Here's a really quick workup of the Mail aircraft with bumped ribs on the fuselage as seen in the movie. I'll spend more time on it this weekend to add more detail.

Whooooosh!!! That looks terrific!!

Canvas cover, some dirt, and beveling those lines is all that's needed.

Very Nice.... Those Colors go so well with each other. Kind of reminds me of "Old School" National Parks Service colors.

Actually, #8 has metal skin fuse since it was a crop duster, but I've done it in canvas. Need to add the snaps on the black canvas.

you've done a remarkable job here, man - just an outstanding effort on texturing this excellent GAS duster(/airmail) model
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Availability

Will this repaint be available for download here in the Warbirds Library?

I'm upgrading the details on the two repaints "Mail" and "N56059... stay tune.

Added the pigtail wire on the door hinge.

Last edited by TuFun; March 25th, 2019 at 22:07. Reason: update pic!

Progress status. Fuselage and rudder is done... lots of bump work done including the landing gear door (pigtail). Moving on to the wings and stab.

No paint...

Focus on the flatten the canvas between the ribs.

"The Aviator" one of movie bird.

Landing gear door with pigtail and hinge.

Why are Paul Grubich's paints so large surely they can be more compressed or in a different formula?

Cheers chris

Wow..... Those details look extremely realistic. The details really stand out when you see them on the silver scheme. (I'm one of the ones that prefers the Silver Stearman's over the Hap Arnold Yellow and blue to begin with) For some reason the "Hopper" modification just really stands out and makes sense when you see it like this.

Thanks Mustang... I like this particular solo bird. Possible stitching I'm working on. Took some time finding all those wing ribs.

UPDATE: Smaller stitches.

Last edited by TuFun; March 30th, 2019 at 13:37. Reason: Pics

really doing fine work on the GAS Duster there, Ted...

on another note to Stearman fans - this look, with the speed ring and wheel fairings is some kinda nice

enter..the Sandman

^ That's one classy looking bird!

NASA Stearman tow plane. Hmm... thought I throw the stencil on this one.

Real bird...

what a great photo - I would love to hear the stories behind that airplane and read its log book

PS - nice work on these textures, Ted - can't say it enough.
    enter..the Sandman

Some ownership history of that bird, altough I think the NASA photo date should be '63.

http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/Airframe...rframeSN=30866

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    what a great photo - I would love to hear the stories behind that airplane and read its log book

PS - nice work on these textures, Ted - can't say it enough.
    This looks to have metal skin where the red arrow is painted. Colors look familiar as a crop duster at one time.

Agree with you - the metal seems to extend to the rear bulkhead of the cockpit. Definitely a re-repurposed duster..
    Trainer, Duster, Tow plane - wonder if it ever blew smoke in an airshow...
    enter..the Sandman

HO train modeler had this one for his HO layout. Notice something?

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    HO train modeler had this one for his HO layout. Notice something?

he was on a five year mission to layout some stellar scenery...where no Stearman modeller has gone before
    enter..the Sandman

Members who have read this thread: 1