GAS Super Stearman - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GAS Super Stearman

Did Stearmen ever have canopies in military service, maybe in cold climates, like the Tiger Moth in Canada?
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    Did Stearmen ever have canopies in military service, maybe in cold climates, like the Tiger Moth in Canada?
    yes is the short answer -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E68-1.png  
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    Is the spinner to counteract the weight of the spray solution in the tank behind the pilot?
    T43
    my understanding is that the chem hopper is in front of the pilot position, in what would otherwise be the front or forward cockpit. Behind the pilot would be too far aft for the CG. The weight
    of the pesticide/weed killer is significant...

The spinner is probably typical of and part of the prop assembly... Lot's of variables available on the market from what I know of.
    enter..the Sandman

Thank you. I never knew that. Actually, the canopy looks very similar to the Tiger Moth's. Is it a version we can hope for sometime?

Spinner

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    my understanding is that the chem hopper is in front of the pilot position, in what would otherwise be the front or forward cockpit. Behind the pilot would be too far aft for the CG. The weight
    of the pesticide/weed killer is significant...

The spinner is probably typical of and part of the prop assembly... Lot's of variables available on the market from what I know of.
    Is there much weight in it? I am wondering if its there for streamlining or CG balance?

The NZ Fletcher's have a rear hopper location for top dressing.

T43

US NAVY Ambulance 1942

Another one with floats...

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Here is the AG version in the clean configuration which is the default upon loading. Working on whether or not I can provide the option for stock wings in the config manager. I think so. Stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    Thank you. I never knew that. Actually, the canopy looks very similar to the Tiger Moth's. Is it a version we can hope for sometime?
    Was not planned but......................

Here's hoping for the stock wing on the duster

[QUOTE=Spad54;1167561]Here is the AG version in the clean configuration which is the default upon loading. Working on whether or not I can provide the option for stock wings in the config manager. I think so. Stand by.

I would definitely appreciate a sprayer/duster with the stock wings.

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    US NAVY Ambulance 1942

Another one with floats...
    More here:
    https://nbstearmans.com/canadian-ste...cf-fxx-series/

https://vintagebiplane.com/project/1...plane-dusters/

Looks like modification of Duster version .

Quote Originally Posted by Spad54 View Post
    Working on whether or not I can provide the option for stock wings in the config manager. I think so. Stand by.
    !!!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Working on whether or not I can provide the option for stock wings in the config manager. I think so. Stand by.
    Awesome! Stearmans was a workhorse... training, barnstorming, crop dusting, and forest service.

Well looky here... a model of Bradley's floater.

Sometimes modelers have good resources for painting.

What a beauty, why I painted one like this... love the red and gold!

Beautiful Stearman... All of them!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3. STEARMAN.jpg  

Bunch of Stearmans in this movie. The Aviator with Christopher Reeve. Now I just have to find my copy and watch again!
    Painted up one of these movie planes also.

Btw.
    please to add external 3D model of pilot in cockpit from beginning (not like with PT-17 package) and in configurator "remove pilot" as option (so opposite from now).
    I take off always without the pilot (when I dont open external views).

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

lol - I've done this a few times too...when trying to stay 'in the cockpit' for immersion sake
    enter..the Sandman

Duster update

It is now fully configurable. Its default is clean open cockpit with stock wings

Other configurations as the user wishes

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Btw.
    please to add external 3D model of pilot in cockpit from beginning (not like with PT-17 package) and in configurator "remove pilot" as option (so opposite from now).
    I take off always without the pilot (when I dont open external views).
    Easy enough to do. Will consider it for all models in the final release. Thanks However one should always do an exterior walk around before entering the cockpit, then one would not forget the properly configure the aircraft for flight (including the pilot)

Great job!

Easy enough to do. Will consider it for all models in the final release. Thanks However one should always do an exterior walk around before entering the cockpit, then one would not forget the properly configure the aircraft for flight (including the pilot)
    oh - Snap! got me there...lol - what's a checklist ??
    enter..the Sandman

Got my eye on painting this one...

...plus the Red&Gold and US Mail!

What's a checklist ?
    (i) Kick tyre
    (ii) Light fire
    (iii) Smash off

Merry Christmas

Top Dressers?

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Got my eye on painting this one...

...plus the Red&Gold and US Mail!
    Is your pic a sprayer with the booms removed?

Were any Stearman's used to top dress super phosphate?

T43

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    Is your pic a sprayer with the booms removed?
    Retired Stearman Duster with it's spraying equipment removed and sometime later converted back to two seater.

Were any Stearman's used to top dress super phosphate?

T43
    Far as I know it was the Tiger Moth's in NZ if that's what you are asking.

Bi-Plane Phosphate Top Dressers

I think the Tiger Moth looks like a sprayer.

I was thinking more along the lines of powdered superphosphate distribution from a hopper, such as carried out by these Deane Baunton Fletchers, but from a Stearman.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...24-950-series/

However, here is a Wikipedia extract about aerial top dressing - its genesis appears to have been by way of dropping seed into a swamp from a tethered hot air balloon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_topdressing

T43

Members who have read this thread: 1