Damn, Damn, Damn

Thread: Damn, Damn, Damn

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Damn, Damn, Damn

I have more and more problems with V4 probably caused by excess tweaking.

P3D goes to the welcome screen and stays there loading. Any suggestions before I have to delete this.

thanks
    Bob

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the sim and starting fresh due to having significant performance issues and slow loading. I uninstalled and reinstalled the sim with most things and settings backed up and oddly ended up having the same issue as you. To clear the hung welcome screen, I ended up deleting the Scenery config file (located in C/Users/user name/AppData/Roaming/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v4) and then going into my main P3Dv4 folder and clicking (not removing) the Delete Generated Files file. After that, my sim starts normally and loads up very fast. Since re-install, my P3Dv4 is running better than ever. I am being careful to measure the loadup speed degradation after each new addon to make sure it stays within reasonable performance specs. Also, I would avoid doing much tweaking directly to P3Dv4 that is not done via the UI controls and vetted addon programs.
    Last edited by StormILM; October 16th, 2018 at 08:44.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In FSX that was usually a sign that the logbook file was corrupted but I'v never heard of it happening in P3D.
    But just in case you could try deleting the logbook.bin found in "C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4"
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Storm has it. Do the "Delete Generated Files" thing. It usually works.

Yes, deleting the "generated files" (through the P3D menu in the Windows Start menu, if I'm not mistaken) is the first thing to do.
    It will delete all of your CFG files.
    If this is not enough, you might want to uninstall and reinstall just the CLIENT part of P3D. That worked for me.
    Ensure you also remove the modules that start with the sim. Sometimes, some of them can cause problems for the startup.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Well, thanks guys.

i went to delete the scenery config file and it wasn’t there. That may have been the problem. Then clicked on the delete data thing then rebooted. P3D then loaded. I then loaded my aircraft and my favorites were gone. Fixed those and flew ok. The noticed orbx was not working. I used the file check and everything reloaded.

went to fly then and the loading scenery started and hung up at 6%. I think this has something to do with orbx. I have set the order so that my add ons are above the orbx stuff. Is there an insertion point I’m missing?

thanks.

Yes, I would recommend uninstalling/reinstalling the addons because the program is looking for them in the order you set them and there may be minor to moderate corruption after the changes made. I keep a backup mirror and screen shots of my settings and order of addons and scenery to make any restoration as fast as possible.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have also had this problem with P3DV4, and so have many others. It is most likely caused by a corruption somewhere in the scenery config files. The issue with P3DV4 is that now we have a mixture of how addons are added to the sim - the scenery.cfg and the addon.xml method.

I use two tools to help out with any issues and general housekeeping of my addons - SceneryConfigEditor and Lorby Si's P3DV4AddonOrganizer.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

http://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html

P3DV4 became more sensitive and will refuse to load if there is any corruption or any mistakes in the scenery.cfg or any of the addon.xml files. P3DV4 Addon Organizer is good as it will show any corrupted entries in red, and they can then be fixed. As for the scenery.cfg, you can delete that and a new one will be generated upon restarting the sim.

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Just by coincidence, I managed to corrupt my V4 installation yesterday. It had been stuttering and loading slower and slower. I finally threw in the towel, and an starting fresh, .....again. sigh.

NC

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    It must be close to Halloween!

tried it once more and on bootup gave me a problem in the scenery and asked to fix it which I did. Now works fine.

good luck to us all having this thing run correctly. It’s probable that my tweaking caused the problems.

Bob

"The issue with P3DV4 is that now we have a mixture of how addons are added to the sim".

I agree, this is the root of the problem and the one thing I do not like about P3Dv4. It seems that there is some disparity between the developers & software development of P3D and the Addon Developers in how the addons and scenery implementation are fine tuned. My guess is that the installation process is not being properly tested and cross checked for errors thus the reason we're seeing these sorts of problems being so widespread. That and I thing some addons are simply not fully compatible with the base sim program which in many cases causes things to get muddled up. I thing the above tools are a big help in sorting some of this which I will be using more and more in my adding new oaddons.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0