Off-topic but of interest: Fly Inside Flight Sim beta

Thread: Off-topic but of interest: Fly Inside Flight Sim beta

Off-topic but of interest: Fly Inside Flight Sim beta

The early access version of Fly Inside Flight Sim is available now. Just $32, $25 if you've purchased any version of Fly Inside. It's of interest to FSX users for a number of reasons:

• It's 64-bit, but runs dramatically better on older systems than P3D or X-Plane because it's not based on legacy code. Supports modern graphics APIs and multi-threaded operations. 90 fps with details cranked and weather!
    • It fully supports VR, but performs well on flat screens too
    • The scenery engine looks great. The buildings, etc. are currently "developer art" and look like crap, but those are just placeholders and they'll be updated, and there's a scenery SDK.
    • It's not add-on compatible with FSX per-se, but it's obviously not too hard to port stuff over given all the stock planes are payware FSX planes.
    • Third parties can sell or give away planes anywhere, so should get much better third-party support than DoveTail.
    • If you've been wanting to fly just one of the included planes in FSX, it's worth the price of admission! At full retail, all the planes combined would cost $389.90 for FSX. The beta includes:
      • Milviz Beech 55, Cessna 310, Cessna T-50 Bobcat, DHC-3, 737-200, T-38A aircraft
      • TFDi Design 717
      • Milviz Bell 407, MD-530, and CH-47D Chinook

Anyway, yes, it's a fresh start, and yet another new sim, but at the low cost of entry, it's worthwhile just to play around with the planes. (The TFDi 717 alone sells for $59.99.)

Hoping lots of folks will check it out, because it's pretty impressive for a super-early release, they're doing the right thing with the SDK, and I want to see them get enough support to keep developing.

Also, forgot to mention: There's a free demo version, so you can see how it runs on your system, etc:
    https://flyinside-fsx.com/Home/Sim

I'm also watching the new sim with great interest. Their approach to the sim community is far better than Dovetail's, as they seem to understand the end user far better. I think it could easily become a strong rival to P3D as it develops, and it seems likely that the future really is VR as once you've done it, playing on a monitor just doesn't compare. The native VR set up of FFS blows P3D and X-Plane's out of the water
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Yeah I bought this the other night. With all the aircraft included and at only $25 USD (for previous customers of FlyInside) it was a steal. It is a bit rough around the edges at the moment, and I had terrible trouble with the updater, but overall I am really impressed. The performance in VR is really good and with some complex aircraft right off the bat. Looking forward to seeing where this sim goes.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    ... it seems likely that the future really is VR as once you've done it, playing on a monitor just doesn't compare.
    Although VR is nice and definitely increases immersion, the resolution is still too low and I can't imagine flying IFR with approach charts etc. in VR.
    I'll definitely stick with my large monitor.
    Even VR still doesn't even remotely compare to real flying due to the lack of motion. Monitor, track IR, VR, nothing compares to real flying.

I will keep a close eye on that new sim as well.
    As stated above, the content is very interesting for the price, and the scenery is probably going to get better and better.
    I'm curious to see what they will be able to achieve, in terms of features.
    The supposely-easy port-over of FSX/P3D aircrafts to this sim is promising too, if true...

Personal Observation

This is my own opinion and not a bash at all of Fly Inside Flight Sim or any of the Milviz aircraft.

I downloaded this today on my other Windows 7 64 bit laptop which has nothing on it but FSX and FSRecorder. I had to do two upgrades from Microsoft before I could get it to open up but it finally did. I lost it after the 7 minute trial trying to program my controls and then restarted it in the 737-200 cockpit on a runway. IMHO with FSX Acceleration and ORBX Global, Landclass, Vector and North America I think that my FSX/A is a much better presentation and with all I have spent on payware for FSX, I'm sticking with it.

I guess from the advertising I expected it to look like P3DV4 as a 64 bit platform and was excited to be able to run it without a huge gaming kind of computer.

Maybe in a year or so I may try it again when it has improved the graphics and a lot of freeware scenery and aircraft etc are out for it. Same reason I don't have X-plane. I already have a ton of FSX and no need for more. I have over a Terrabite of stuff on Flash Drives now and that is so I don't lose it in case of anything. Hats off though to Fly Inside for developing a new sim. I do look forward to seeing where it goes.

2nd open beta already!

Members who have read this thread: 0