Where to add weight to an AI fighter?

Thread: Where to add weight to an AI fighter?

Where to add weight to an AI fighter?

So a few of us are discussing where to add weight to an AI Bf109 (and others). Nigel uses null pylon weights, which I have done in the past.
    David (Daiwilletti) thinks we could do this in the aircraft.cfg file IF we are putting all the Ai's into one folder away from the flyable aircraft, and then there have only the one AI cfg file. We still would need separate air files with ?increased weight?
    My question is; would there be any difference from adding weight through a null pylon or adding it to the AI aircraft and air files?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

An air file with increased weight - it doesn't work like that, the weight comes from the Aircraft.cfg but in any case you'd still need separate air files for every aircraft. The only possible benefit would be getting to set the weight more accurately, otherwise it doesn't make a difference as CFS3 doesn't understand payloads positioned longitudinally anywhere else than the CoG. Not sure about the vertical axis but I doubt it.

Perhaps, and this is a big perhaps, it might affect the handling if the weight is distributed evenly throughout the airframe (Aircraft.cfg) instead of being a single lump of lead (a null pylon) but I'm not sure if the physics engine is sophisticated enough to take that into account.

Thanks. OK so no extra weight in the (separate) air files.

Now as for weight distribution, I suppose one has to consider what is the issue with AI ac in terms of where the weight or less weight effect is coming from. I assume not bomb loads and such like? I seem to recall fuel? In any case maybe having the weight spread throughout might be more accurate?

The next thing would be to gauge how much extra weight. IIRC, Nigel uses 750 Kgs.?

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Icon9 weight

If you are flying say a german bomber, take the do 217 E% with two hs 293 attached. Fire one and the plane instantly rolls to the heavy side. So, while I get the AI and weight discussion, are you saying that in AI mode flight characteristics are not effected by payload release? Not that is matters all that much just a point of discussion really....

Hi Ted! Nice to see you here again!

I am assuming that, in the case of the null pylons for single engine fighters and twin engine fighter bombers, that they are never released. But your point makes sense if weight not at CoG. What Daiwilletti and I are thinking is that adding weight to the aircraft.cfg might be better and greycap.raf was suggesting it also would be distributed over the whole aircraft; more like adding armour. he also said that the air file wasn't relevant to this which would be good to know.

I am not sure any of this wou9ld be necessary for twin or four engine bombers; that can be dealt with by the gunners settings.

Members who have read this thread: 0