First "Legitimate" Kill

Thread: First "Legitimate" Kill

First "Legitimate" Kill

I have had DCS loaded on my computer for some time now, but was never quite able to get it to run properly due to all the adjustments that needed to be made. For example, setting up the flight controls...buttons, axises (or is it AX I), TDS (whatever that is...I now know), etc., etc. For those of you that have not yet gotten into DCS, it is a whole different (and intriguing) world from P3D / FSX. The AI shoots back with lethal accuracy!

I've spent a number of hours over the past week (retirement has its benies) setting up the F-18, learning some (really just scratched the surface) of the controls / commands, and practicing flying and runway landings. After doing all that, I thought I would take a stab at the first short "mission" in the F-18 selection list. First 10 times, killed at some point during the mission. Each time you learn some new control you need to program or some other thing you need to do to survive. Finally, after much toil and sweat, I got a Mig-29 kill with an AIM-7.

Following the kill, I returned to the carrier, did one approach and boltered! Back to the drawing board...I need to practice my carrier landings now.

This sim makes you work!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    I have had DCS loaded on my computer for some time now, but was never quite able to get it to run properly due to all the adjustments that needed to be made. For example, setting up the flight controls...buttons, axises (or is it AX I), TDS (whatever that is...I now know), etc., etc. For those of you that have not yet gotten into DCS, it is a whole different (and intriguing) world from P3D / FSX. The AI shoots back with lethal accuracy!

I've spent a number of hours over the past week (retirement has its benies) setting up the F-18, learning some (really just scratched the surface) of the controls / commands, and practicing flying and runway landings. After doing all that, I thought I would take a stab at the first short "mission" in the F-18 selection list. First 10 times, killed at some point during the mission. Each time you learn some new control you need to program or some other thing you need to do to survive. Finally, after much toil and sweat, I got a Mig-29 kill with an AIM-7.

Following the kill, I returned to the carrier, did one approach and boltered! Back to the drawing board...I need to practice my carrier landings now.

This sim makes you work!

Back in the 1990s the combatsim genre was huge. Falcon 3.0, the Microprose sims, Tornado (my favorite of ALL TIME...still is.). DCS is pretty much the best thing out there now. However, I havent had the time to go really learn it. Even just learning to taxi that damn F86 is a trick. However, to really enjoy it, you need a first rate HOTAS. I have a Saitek X-55 set up, which sucks compared to my old thrustmaster set up, which basically went the way of the dodo once the old 15 pin D connectors went out of style. I had done digital upgrades to that thing and it still rocked. Next time I buy a news rig, Im going back and spending the real money necessary to get a thrusty set up again. I hate this friggin Saitek junk.

Ejoiner - I have been using (putting up with) a Logitech G940 for many years now. It certainly is not ideal, but until I start my SS next year it will have to do. TM HOTAS for me and, maybe, Crosswind pedals. I can dream.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Considering a new j/s? Well I have had my VKB Gladiator II for 18 months now and it is very good. Compares to a Warthog in feel and accuracy but not at those prices. It doesn't have the HOTAS yet unfortunately but I use my Saitek X52 Throttle (almost 15 years old now!) for that.
    It's Russian btw and built like a T52 tank - you could murder someone with its heft.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product_cat=vkb-controllers
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Thrustmaster is getting closer to releasing an F/A-18 group for the Warthog. I've also heard that a throttle is in the works also
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Members who have read this thread: 0