P-47 Progress Thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: P-47 Progress Thread

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Ok

The reason I ask is that there are both ally and axis planes that use turobosuperchargers and such that would make the air file so much more realistic. Just j hope we can do that and I would love to go back to some of the planes I made and make all that work..... The absence of the turbosupercharger is the main reason I stopped making the P47 N. I have the entire exterior model done, but lost interest since I could not model the airfile correctly.....

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar
    Looking great Joost, a proper P-47 being so long overdo...
    So, question: what is that box (#7) w/ the 200 to 400 selectable increments and the 'phones' jack?
    (Mostly mentioning it 'cause I thought the paint, prolly 'wrinkle' paint, came out just fine.)
    Of course it'll be bump-mapped...

Quote Originally Posted by popsaka View Post
    ... So, question: what is that box (#7) w/ the 200 to 400 selectable increments and the 'phones' jack?
    (Mostly mentioning it 'cause I thought the paint, prolly 'wrinkle' paint, came out just fine.)
    Of course it'll be bump-mapped...
    This one? (See below)
    It's a BC-1206 Detrola beam receiver, a navigation aid. See for example https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/detrol...model_438.html, or https://aeroantique.com/products/bc-...=6452198965278 (model with a different face plate and tuner). Although most often removed for combat flights, it is mentioned in the P-47 manuals. And yes, the model has bump-mapped screws, face plate and wrinkle paint! (Is that what it is called? )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaser7.jpg  

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    The reason I ask is that there are both ally and axis planes that use turobosuperchargers and such that would make the air file so much more realistic. Just j hope we can do that and I would love to go back to some of the planes I made and make all that work..... The absence of the turbosupercharger is the main reason I stopped making the P47 N. I have the entire exterior model done, but lost interest since I could not model the airfile correctly.....
    I understand!
    But still, a less-than-100%-realistic P-47N model is better than no -N model at all! Look at the developments made in the past years. Maybe someday a very clever person will find a way to model the turbosupercharger. I hope you will reconsider and finish your model.

Anway, as I promised earlier, when I have finished the VC (modeling, mapping and painting), I'll send it over to you.

A little work on the wheelwell and landing gear:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaser15.jpg  

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Coming along nicely. Thanks for the update on the Jug .

Very cool, Joost!

John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Figuring out the geometry of the flap deployment:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaser16.jpg  

This is going to be one hell of a model Joost!
    John

Keep it coming!

One of the recurring issues we deal with when delivering modern aircraft is re-rigging the flaps to eliminate a rub condition discovered during the acceptance flights. Getting a uniform tight fit between the flap and the wing without making contact when it deploys appears to be more of an art than a science. Unlike our 3D models, real aircraft tend to bend and twist when you fly them for the first time.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Looking really good. Keep up the great work !

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

feedback

oh my... great detail

Great stuff Joost.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

(Thanks )

A short question regarding reading blueprints: Does anyone know what the abbreviation "RRL" means?
    It has to do with reference lines, like "JRL" being "Jig Reference Line" and "WL" being "Water Line". So the last two letters probably are "Reference Line" but what could the first "R" possibly stand for? This particular line can be found forward of Spar#3 (but is not Spar#1, the main spar, or Spar#2).

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    (Thanks )

A short question regarding reading blueprints: Does anyone know what the abbreviation "RRL" means?
    It has to do with reference lines, like "JRL" being "Jig Reference Line" and "WL" being "Water Line". So the last two letters probably are "Reference Line" but what could the first "R" possibly stand for? This particular line can be found forward of Spar#3 (but is not Spar#1, the main spar, or Spar#2).
    Rudder Reference Line?

Quote Originally Posted by swpierce View Post
    Rudder Reference Line?
    Thanks, good try!
    But considering the location and orientation of the line (forward of the trailing edge and probably perpendicular to the fuselage) it seems unlikely. The trouble is that the line itself isn't shown on the blueprint. It is referenced to as being x inches forward of a certain point near the trailing edge of the wing... (actually, it's the other way around, of course: the point I am trying to locate is x inches aft the "RRL". But to find and place parts correctly I need to know what "RRL" means). If anyone wants to have a look, I could upload the drawing or PM it...

Since it's defined as an offset from a known feature I'd guess Relative Reference Line.

The other option is a Radius Reference Line related to the trailing edge Ellipse Curve.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

The only person I can think of who might know is Bomber_12th whose knowledge of blueprints is much better than mine. Drop him a PM.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thanks to both of you, guys!

Hi all,

The flap mechanism is coming along reasonably well: Due to the complexity of the system I have used key frame animations instead of the stock rotation ones, using 0-100 key frames (fully up to fully down). It really shows how intricate the system was because I had to use 7 keyframes to make the system follow the mechanics dictated by the geometry of the system.

To try and see if it is any life-like, I have temporarily textured the flap with a stencil that apparently could be found on some P-47s. It's one with black lines and numbers indicating 0, 10, 20, 30 and 40 degrees of flap - you may have seen it on plastic modeling decal sheets. As the P-47 didn't have a 'flap gauge', the pilot was supposed to determine the amount of flap by looking at the lines becoming visible from under the trailing edge of the wing.

According to the SDK, flap entries are giving in degrees of flap. Currently, the flap section in the stock .cfg has 5 entries: 0, 10, 20, 30 and 40 degrees of flap. However, this does not coincide with the stencil or the geometry of the system. So, as part of this experiment, I entered the key frame numbers that give 10, 20, 30 and 40 degrees of flap in the .cfg (flap deployment measured as a rotational angle of the actual flap mesh in gmax). To my surprise things work out perfectly! Key frame 68, 93, 97 and 100 give 10, 20, 30 and 40 degrees of flap. The snag seems to be the flight behaviour: it is markedly different from the original entries in degrees, giving rise to the idea that my key frame entries are still read as degrees.

My question is: how does animating with key frames relate to the flap section entries in the aircraft.cfg? Or put differently: How can I get my 10, 20, 30 and 40 degrees of flap in the aircraft.cfg using key frame animations?
    I have used these tags for the all the mesh parts involved:
    l_flap_key_1
    l_flap_key_2 etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaser19.jpg   Teaser17.jpg  

Wow! What detail!

For the FM to work out right I think you could use the scalers in the flap section of the cfg.

lift_scalar = 1
    drag_scalar = 1
    pitch_scalar = 1

are what they normally are. However, since 100 using keyframe needs to give the same effect as 40 did with simple rotation, you just scale the aerodynamic effects down. 40 / 100 = 0.4 so your scaler values should all be 0.4 and all should be back to normal. That is, if I've understood your problem correctly.

EDIT: Oh wait, this won't work. I didn't look at the lower values. If they were a percentage of degree rotation they would work, but they clearly aren't. I don't know if there is a straightforward way of doing this with stock CFS3 capability, maybe on of the gmax experts can weigh in. It would be a simple matter with an RS module script though.

Detail is fantastic!
    John

Keep it coming!

i suspect the SDK is not correct. I think frame 100 is use for full flap which is 40 degrees in your case.

beautiful detail.

Members who have read this thread: 76