P-47 Progress Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: P-47 Progress Thread

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Coming along nicely.Not to worry i know you will get it right. Regards,Scott

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    ... that and the bubble canopy (with their framing) are demanding to build.
    Getting there, but not quite yet...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaser11.jpg  

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Would it be possible to map the external textures to match the stock P-47's?

Also, once upon a time Jon "DANCAT" Pratt started a P-47 pit. I have his GMAX files and his permission to use them. Would these be of any help?

Quote Originally Posted by FOO FIGHTER View Post
    Would it be possible to map the external textures to match the stock P-47's? ...
    Hi!

Hmm, I don't think so, as they are quite different models. The stock P-47D is off in so many ways that I think you have to forget about the existing skins - unfortunately. But maybe I can do something about a paint kit of some sort. No promises here, just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by FOO FIGHTER View Post
    ... Also, once upon a time Jon "DANCAT" Pratt started a P-47 pit. I have his GMAX files and his permission to use them. Would these be of any help?
    About your offer; I have already modelled all of the parts in your VC screenie... But thanks anyway!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaser12.jpg   Teaser13.jpg  

NOW you're talking! Details, details, lovely details, but I hope you're mapping as you go along 'cos that's a heap of mapping to do if you leave it until all is modelled. Just sayin' – don't make the mistake I did with the Tempest!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Wow, stuff sticking out of everywhere! Looks really good!

Very nice Joost, love the detail
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

That's the story of my life: a day late and a dollar short!

Excellent work on that pit!

Blog Entries
    Starting to look Fantastic ! Love the Jug !

Gorgeous looking work mate!..

After a few months of RL, helping Mongoose out a bit, and a long summer vacation, I finally found some time to pick up the P-47 again. I am completely rebuilding the wing, again a complicated shape - I need to pick an easier aircraft the next time . Anyway, here's a small teaser to let you know the project isn't dead:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaser14.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Thanks.Glad to see you are still at it ! Regards,Scott

John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

I need to pick an easier aircraft the next time
    Nice, but they are all hard when you get that detailed

Quote Originally Posted by sdsbolt View Post
    That they are! Doesn’t mean we’re not enjoying what details you’re putting in, mind you...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by sdsbolt View Post
    I blame my access to blueprints .

And I was thinking along the lines of the Wright Flyer or some flying, boxy thing like Snoopy's doghouse. The exterior is not that detailed, is it? (The hinges are there to check the correct shape/position of the aileron. I am not even sure I'll retain them for the final release). But seriously, what's the use of doing this if it doesn't surpass the stock P-47? The cockpit isn't that hard (and that will be the most detailed part, as I hope you'll spend most of your time there); it's these compound curves and shapes that give me headaches at times - especially if the blueprints aren't very clear.

Anyway, even though I consider myself a fairly patient person, I sometimes need to gripe a bit. Regard my occasional 'complaining' as an electronic, virtual sigh. So thank you all for your encouragement. I need it at times to bring this project to an end .

Blog Entries
    Keep going ! You are doing a fine job. Good things take time.Just hang in there. I know i'll be around as long as there is a SOH ! Regards,Scott

That is really looking super Joost. You were always not letting go of one of your models until it met your high expectations. It wasn't finished until it was just right by you!
    Cheers
    Bob
    Game Rig(Nalu): AMD 4800+ 64x2, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Silverstone 560W, 1Gx4 Corsair Twin2048, 2x Asus EN7900GTX SLI, 4xWD 74G 10Krpm Sata II RAID0, Audigy 4, Trackir4, ch pedals & yoke, db XPPro x64/Vista
    HTPC(BossHog): Intel P3.0GHz Prescott E, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, Toughpower 700W, 1Gx2 Samsung DDR, AOpen 6600GT AGP, 2x80G IDESeagate Cavier RAID1, HighPoint Rocket Raid 2220, 6x 400G Sata Seagate Baracuda Raid5, 2x500g Seagate JBOD, XP Media Center 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    But maybe I can do something about a paint kit of some sort. No promises here, just a thought.
    Really the best thing you can do - from a painter's point of view - is to map as much of it in the same scale as possible, with as little distortion as possible, and provide the largest wireframe (pointing out the less obvious parts, if there are any, is a big bonus) possible.

Not like a model I've been painting lately that has the nose made up of seven parts, of which a maximum of two are in the same scale, and three of which are mirrored.

Quote Originally Posted by greycap.raf View Post
    Really the best thing you can do - from a painter's point of view - is to map as much of it in the same scale as possible, with as little distortion as possible, and provide the largest wireframe (pointing out the less obvious parts, if there are any, is a big bonus) possible.

Not like a model I've been painting lately that has the nose made up of seven parts, of which a maximum of two are in the same scale, and three of which are mirrored.
    Yes, I can see that would pose a problem for painters (I painted most of my previous stuff myself).
    I went through multiple forums, tutorials, tips, video's etc. before I took the step to model an AC (and I still search the web if I can't find a solution to a particular problem), so consider that part covered!

Joost,
    By all means, put all the details you want in there. The mesh looks great.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

question

Any joy in getting the turbosupercharger to work?

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    Any joy in getting the turbosupercharger to work?
    I haven't tried, sorry.

And I don't think I will. I'll stick to modeling only because at the present that is what I do best. With the aid of Daniel I'm sure I can get the additional animation parts working (clickable cockpit) but doing the airfile etc. is way beyond my capabilities. Perhaps someone knowledgeable is willing to bring the P-47 airfile up to current standards (for a P-47D-30 and -40, to be exact. I'm considering doing the -30 both with and without the fin fillet. The -40 came with the fillet factory installed).

I am still hoping to be able to write code for realistic operation of multiple speed superchargers and turbochargers. So far it has proven elusive, but I have a few ideas that I haven't had time to try yet.

Members who have read this thread: 76