P-47 Progress Thread - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011

Thread: P-47 Progress Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Hey, more than a 100,00 views for this thread, lol

Pity that you can't monetize it as per YouTube!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    Pity that you can't monetize it as per YouTube!
    I am not sure that would be a good thing: To make more money it would be better to protract the development of the model nearly indefinitely and have you came back over and over again...

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Quote Originally Posted by sdsbolt View Post
    ... You've detailed everything so well i was not sure if you were maybe using animation constraints or inverse kinimetics to get all the links to move together. Maybe some other method? ...
    I already had some much to learn for this model, I hope no-one would notice the occasional short-cut (Okay, then I shouldn't have told you how I did it - but you asked... )

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Congrats on the views . I know a 1,000 must be mine ! Lol !

[QUOTE=sixstrings5859;1294588]Congrats on the views . I know a 1,000 must be mine ! Lol ! [/QUOT

Haha, LOL - Yes, the 100,000 must be the result of only a handful of people that are actively following this thread . Anyway, bump-mapping the VC tub now. I'll keep you posted!

Blog Entries
    Just checking on the progress. Any wonderful screenshots ? Excited about this ! Regards,Scott

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    ... Any wonderful screenshots ? ...
    Not yet, Scott!

The past 3-4 weeks I had some PC issues again. I installed Win10 a second time last weekend (so that's three times in the past 3-4 months - sigh). Hopefully everything is OK now. Anyway, I must say the system seems to run smoother than before the first crash in June.

During my summer holiday I worked on the instrumentation; I created new, more accurate texture sheets for the instruments, hopefully better needles, some (partial) 3D instruments (gyro horizon, turn & bank indicator, gyro compass and standard compass - CFS3 uses the same textures for the two compasses but in reality they were different). I am also differentiating between the D-25/27/28 and D-30/40 instrument panels: they differ in shape/dimensions and the 3D instruments require that I cut holes in them, just like the real thing. Lastly, I am playing around with the instruction & warning decals that adorned the panels. Originally, I used an amateurishly picked unwrap scale that allowed me to paint them on the instrument panel texture, whereas CFS3 uses decals instead. Now I am thinking that the latter does give reasonably decent results. So that is still somewhat undecided.

All this started because I want the operation limits painted on the instruments glass as per the blueprints/manuals. And with the thought that I might add more models to the originally planned D-25, D30 and D-40, I would have organized my texture sheets differently. Oh well, one lives and learns...

Screenies when we're there!

Blog Entries
    Sorry for all your problems. Hope it works out ok. Great news on the progress ! Glad to hear of so many models to choose from. Ever think about doing a P-47M model or a proper N model ? That would be very interesting for us late war fans and '46 buffs. A impressive amount of detail in your aircraft. Good luck ,and Best wishes . Regards,Scott

Thanks Scott!

Yeah, it's a bummer! Installing Win10 a 4th time this weekend () and running all the CHKDSK, scannow and DISM stuff I can find but the 'puter is having a hard time. I think after 11 years the HDD is on the verge of dying. Considering the PC's age, I need to replace it but I really don't know what to buy; mid-range or high-end? And where? There are no reliable PC shops anymore where I live, which means that I am condemned to the online cowboys. Most of them have no experience with sims and will happily sell you any gaming rig. Makes me feel like buying a car: Being too unfamiliar with the technicalities, you know you are being screwed but you need one.

The little info I could dig up on simming says that CPU power is more important than GPU power. Buy a pre-built system and pay more or find all the parts myself and save some cash? I never built a complete PC myself but I did replace parts, including a CPU cooler and smearing some paste. As I also would like to try DCS, the new PC should be able to handle that and I mean handle well: No minimal settings but preferably maxed out (which probably means high-end). And let's not forget the current prices of PC parts and, with the current energy crisis, the electricity bill; A high-end system most likely demands a more powerful PSU than my current 650W.

So, a lot of considerations that slow my work considerably down. I have an old laptop with an aging battery that allows me to do some simple work in the meantime but the smaller display is such an annoyance. Not a happy camper right now! Please don't mind the above complaining too much but you'd better not expect any P-47 revelations any time soon!

Can you make your own?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Building your own PC is no harder than plugging bits together, Iíve done it twice now and for a 4 or 5 year old rig it still motors along. The biggest improvement over older machines is swapping an hdd for a solid state drive - a machine which previously took nearly a minute to boot is ready in 12s and other disk-intensive things are much, much faster than before. Thatís the biggest reduction in bottleneck these days, not processor speed or motherboard/gpu fanciness.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members who have read this thread: 47