P-47 Progress Thread - Page 10
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: P-47 Progress Thread

3. I have done experiments in the past with this. I was never able to get CFS3 to do anything consistent with AI aircraft.

4. It depends on the mos file if it degrades the texture. If it was initially made for a 1024x1024 texture, using a higher resolution texture will still display at the lower resolution. But a mos can be created for a 2048x2048 texture just fine. There are also some options on the mos editor that have an effect on quality, but I don't recall them right now. In the latest SJ Spitfire packages, I cannot tell any difference in quality when a mos file is used vs when it is removed. Of course in terms of mapping the textures, the only real purpose of having the whole main texture on one sheet is so you can use a mos file so you can apply bullet decals. Anything that wouldn't look good with a bullet decal on it has no specific need to be on the main sheet.

On a somewhat related note, it may be possible to add multiple regular layers to a mos file, so that finer details (small stencils and such) can be applied at a much higher resolution than if they had to be painted onto the main texture. I've not experimented with this, but I do think there may be some unexplored potential in mos files.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    On a somewhat related note, it may be possible to add multiple regular layers to a mos file, so that finer details (small stencils and such) can be applied at a much higher resolution than if they had to be painted onto the main texture. I've not experimented with this, but I do think there may be some unexplored potential in mos files.
    What you're describing is indeed possible but it's done in the main model, not the mos file. See the old GC Bf 110G-4 night fighters for an example on this, they have separate stencil textures that are mapped on top of the main texture at a very high resolution. The downside is that if the modeler gets the placement/size/whatever wrong, correcting it is impossible.

Joost, regards question 1. I don't think they were disabled, they are all there in my install?

Question 2. Yes I'm getting the same result, so I don't think you have anything wrong there.

Question 3. Yep correct, pretty rubbish isn't it?

Dan has already answered question 4.

I've never liked the nose art thingy, especially when it comes to the RAF nose art, wtf is that all about? lol

They had this aircraft ID working in MAW I did a set of numbers for the Bf 109E, but having just tried the nose art after many years, (the stock nose art does work) it doesn't seem to want to work anymore for the 109? I have no idea on the mechanics of it though, and can certainly live without it!

Good luck!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

3) seems all aircraft in player's flight have the same code letters. I think MS meant for AI wingmen to have different letters as it is fairly easy to change with an external program like the spitfire module.

Thanks for all your input, guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by greycap.raf View Post
    What you're describing is indeed possible but it's done in the main model, not the mos file. See the old GC Bf 110G-4 night fighters for an example on this, they have separate stencil textures that are mapped on top of the main texture at a very high resolution. The downside is that if the modeler gets the placement/size/whatever wrong, correcting it is impossible.
    Would this be a bit like how they did the engine instruments on the engine nacelles? Or maybe a bit like the placards in the stock cockpits? Those placards seem to be planes with a higher res. texture from a gauge texture sheet so the instrument panel itself can be textured with a lower resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo/4 View Post
    Joost, regards question 1. I don't think they were disabled, they are all there in my install? ...
    They are in my install too but they are all black (both texture and alpha). Maybe something went wrong with the installation. Anyway, I copied them over and now they work.

... 4. It depends on the mos file if it degrades the texture. If it was initially made for a 1024x1024 texture, using a higher resolution texture will still display at the lower resolution. But a mos can be created for a 2048x2048 texture just fine. There are also some options on the mos editor that have an effect on quality, but I don't recall them right now. In the latest SJ Spitfire packages, I cannot tell any difference in quality when a mos file is used vs when it is removed. Of course in terms of mapping the textures, the only real purpose of having the whole main texture on one sheet is so you can use a mos file so you can apply bullet decals. Anything that wouldn't look good with a bullet decal on it has no specific need to be on the main sheet.

OK, I'll try and create my own .mos. I now copied one from stock and just altered the file names to get the letters and digits to work.

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Regards the high res gauge textures, yes Joost, it's same as Rene explained, they also used it on the He 111 for nose art and stencils, works very well in that model btw

The Maw Bf 109 id letters/numbers used to work flawlessly, did it for the Hurricanes too, no idea what has changed but they no longer work, strange?
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Some WIP models. I tried not to choose the most obvious skins but ones that posed some painting challenge or AC with appealing nose art (who doesn't like scantily clad girls?) So no, 'Hun Hunter XVI' isn't one of them... Bonus points for those who can identify any of the ships!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaser39.jpg  

Looking good Joost! Fijne kerst!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Excellent Joost ! Love the Checkered Tail and Blue nose P-47's, Heck, i like them all ! Thanks for your hard work ! Regards, Scott

Looking good! Is the blue one Bloom's Tomb?

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Excellent Joost ! Love the Checkered Tail and Blue nose P-47's, Heck, i like them all ! Thanks for your hard work ! Regards, Scott
    Yeah, I like the checkered one because the checkers are aligned along the leading edges of the fin and stabilizers; not so easy to get those checkers to match on the rudder and elevators, but I think I did a fair job.

Looking good! Is the blue one Bloom's Tomb?
    Almost! It is a kite from the same FS (514th) but not 'Bloom's Tomb'. It's a rather dull, generic looking one, without any nose art. Your P-47 was on my list, though. In my search for interesting profiles I found that there were actually nine P-47s called 'Bloom's Tomb', but unfortunately I haven't been able to find a usable image of the nose art.

Blog Entries
    By the looks of your screenshots ,these are going to be sweet. Have you contacted Rene about the flight modeling yet ? Can't wait for these wonderful P-47's ! Regards, Scott

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing. A good read of my favorite WW II aircraft.

Still busy unwrapping the VC!
    Here's a gmax screenie of the throttle quadrant as it was at the start and how it looks 90% unwrapped and painted (but still sans weathering):

What a little paint can do!! There will also be a normal map to simulate cast iron, knurling, engraved or embossed text, rivets and screws etc. (And the animation of the WEP switch has to be corrected, I know )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaser40.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Looking good ! Nice to see progress being made. Hopefully will be done this year. Keeping my fingers crossed ! Regards,Scott

About a month or so ago MS tried to euthanize my PC through an update. This resulted in having to reinstall Windows and losing about 2 years worth of email, diary contents and some other stuff - despite having a backup system. Fortunately I have back-ups of the P-47 model and all related files on 3-4 different HDDs, USB sticks etc. so no losses there. But it also meant reinstalling ETO and somehow my settings have changed: My carefully tweaked textures now appear much more reflective. I attribute this to a setting in Ankor's files which differs from my previous setup but I can't remember/find the original one. This is a slight inconvenience, as it requires adjusting the _s and _r files again but it can be done.

In the months since the last post, I have found some blueprints which helped me to remodel the mechanical linkages between the throttle quadrant and the engine (the parts visible in the VC anyway, up to frame 132 which you can partially see, as well as the duct leading from the intercooler to the engine). See the low quality gmax screenie below (at high quality gmax crashes):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teaser41.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	87949

And I worked hard at unwrapping most of the VC objects and giving them a basic coat of paint. This makes them look a little flat in the screenies below but after riveting, detailing, weathering and adding a bump file, the surfaces will have much more depth and definition:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teaser43.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	362.2 KB 
ID:	87950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teaser42.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	386.4 KB 
ID:	87951

The VC still requires some additional modelling but we're getting there, slowly and steadily (mostly slowly )

Oh wow! The detail is unbelievable Where did you get the blueprints for all the cockpit fixtures?

Blog Entries
    Sounds exciting ! Can't wait till they see the light of day ! Thanks for all your work. Hope all goes well and you get the help needed. Regards,Scott

A bummer re your lost stuff Joost! Looks like you are doing a really detailed job there. Will it be quite an active 'pit similar to Daniels Spitfires?

Quote Originally Posted by lythronax View Post
    Oh wow! The detail is unbelievable Where did you get the blueprints for all the cockpit fixtures?
    https://aircorpslibrary.com/, membership required but well worth the money if one wants to build one of the aircraft they have in the library! They don't have blueprints for all aircraft in the library (for some just manuals) but for the main US WW2 fighters, they are present.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    A bummer re your lost stuff Joost! Looks like you are doing a really detailed job there. Will it be quite an active 'pit similar to Daniels Spitfires?
    @1; Yes, it's annoying and at some point I'll probably discover I am missing something important but life goes on...
    @2; I hope so, but that requires Daniel's input because I don't now how to do his magic . Right now the cockpit is clickable to the extent that ETO and Ankor's work allow but I hope Daniel can add additional animations like he did for the Spit. There are a few I would really like to see, such as the trim wheels, parking brake, fuel cocks and tail wheel lock.

In the months since the last post, I have found some blueprints which helped me to remodel the mechanical linkages between the throttle quadrant and the engine (the parts visible in the VC anyway, up to frame 132 which you can partially see, as well as the duct leading from the intercooler to the engine).
    wow, very good . Curious how you are you animating the linkages in gmax ?

Quote Originally Posted by sdsbolt View Post
    ... Curious how you are you animating the linkages in gmax ?
    By using the same naming convention for all animated linkages as the orginal object with the addition of a underscore and number, eg. "lever_throttle", "lever_throttle_1", "lever_throttle_2". To me, this seemed different from the SDK instruction of "lever_throttle#" (like "lever_throttle1" and "lever_throttle2" for a two-engined model). Using this system for a multi-engined model, the parts names would be "throttle1_1", "throttle1_2" and "throttle2_1", "throttle2_2" etc. It also seems to work without the addition of a number but then you'll get a "duplicate object name" export warning. Both solutions seem to function, though.

So in this P-47, the throttle lever object is designated "lever_throttle" as per the SDK. The rod connected to the throttle lever is "lever_throttle_1, the bellcrank is named "lever_throttle_2 and the second rod leading to the engine is called "lever_throttle_3". Any other objects such as nuts, bolts etc. are simply linked to their animated parent part. The 4 parts are animated individually to have their pivots points coincide for all key frames, so they move as if connected to each other (not different than, say, scissors links in an undercarriage animation).

Hey, more than a 100,00 views for this thread, lol

thanks Joost,
    You've detailed everything so well i was not sure if you were maybe using animation constraints or inverse kinimetics to get all the links to move together. Maybe some other method?

congrats on 100k views

Members who have read this thread: 73