RAF Jurby

Thread: RAF Jurby

RAF Jurby

RAF Jurby,one of 3 airfields on the Isle of Man, was a pleasant and quiet posting during WW2,not trouble'd by the attention of the Luftwaffe. The airfield was nevertheless a busy one, spending most of the war years engaged in training bomber crews in bombing, gunnery and navigation, mostly using medium bomber's like Wellington's, Blenheim's and Anson's. Jurby was also responsible for salvaging crashed aircraft on the island and hosted many stray and lost RAF and USAAF aircraft from NE England and Northern Ireland.

Once again,ive plunder'd and used IanP's excellent RAF building and vehicle library's, which you can
    find here---

http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/ye-...nloade-filess/

Thanks Ian!

Didn't quite escape.
    /me deletes his partially complete Jurby...

I actually stopped doing Jurby when a friend who lives over there sent me a link to photos of the place... it's almost entirely built out of timber and looks like a collection of garden sheds! Even the AMW bombing tutor was made out of timber planks!

Ian P.

Hi, i thought it was just Andreas on your list, i'll have to pay closer attention next time

On reflection, i should have used Teds small building lib, he did a collection of wooden huts which probably fits better ( but only type and size ), i just prefer the variety in your collection, and most of the technical buildings were more permanent construction

cheers ian

Didn't quite escape.
    I have wooden huts (and more to come) too - plus I'm not even sure my Jurby was on the list to be fair. I don't think it got any further than doing the operating surfaces, after I started doing more research and got the Earth Sims IoM.

Paul Francis's Airfield Buildings book has a couple of corkers for the place in the "Huts" section... Like the 285/39 Decontamination Centre (unwounded)... which is timber. The MT section was timber, the bombing trainer was timber, the free gunnery trainer was timber... This is why I never finished Jurby, it was all site-unique buildings, made to standard drawings, but out of oversized matchsticks!

Cheers,

Ian P.

Members who have read this thread: 0