Captain Sim Stops Developing for FSX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Captain Sim Stops Developing for FSX

Captain Sim Stops Developing for FSX

https://www.captainsim.org/forum/csf.pl?num=1539357669

P.S. P3Dv1-3 is also on Captain Sim's cut list! No more 32 bit development.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

One of many developers that have already or are planning to drop development / support for FSX. I think FSX real nail in the coffin was that its graphics engine was always CPU limited, never making good use of the on-going GPU improvements over the years. Sad to say, I will not be moving on to P3D. I might end up going back to DCS.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

I actually think this is great news, as that means they'll be able to full take advantage of the new capabilities of P3D V4+.

FSX did it's time. It's horribly designed for modern hardware. I for one welcome our new 64-bit overlords.

The nice thing is that people can still develop less demanding freeware, etc. that will work on both sims, so FSX can still be supported while also supporting the new sims, bridging the past and the future. As opposed to the folks who still develop for FS9, which been a dead-end since the DX10 beta was released last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    I for one welcome our new 64-bit overlords. .
    made me chuckle.
    I hope they will port their 707 over soon. I really liked flying that one.
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Makes sense, just as long as they get the B707/727/737 into 64bit format sooner rather than later.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Still, there are a lot of people flying FS8 and FS9. Along with Windows 98. ;-)
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
    One of many developers that have already or are planning to drop development / support for FSX. I think FSX real nail in the coffin was that its graphics engine was always CPU limited, never making good use of the on-going GPU improvements over the years. Sad to say, I will not be moving on to P3D. I might end up going back to DCS.

Tommy
    Might?

Here's 5 reasons:

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Dammit Rick! I was trying to resist the Tomcat. Now what am I gonna do?!
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

For years we have pleaded for a 64-bit version of FSX. MicroSoft ceased all further development of their flight sim (other than Flight, which did not last very long), now Lockheed-Martin has taken FSX to the 64-bit world. FSX and FSX-Steam will go the way of FS9, far fewer additional payware scenery and aircraft, but I expect the freeware to continue for quite some time. Is this the final nail in the coffin of FSX? Not really, but FSX died years ago and with no alternatives, we did not notice. Today, there are alternatives and they are 64-bit and they do make better use of the video card. My next computer build will be with the 64-bit future in mind.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

FSX will dead only when the operating system no longer supports fsx, at that point I will stick with FSX

Also looking to these graphics of 64 make me stick more and more! Knowing that my system not supot all these graphics

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanimichal View Post
    Also looking to these graphics of 64 make me stick more and more! Knowing that my system not supot all these graphics
    I also said this when running fs9 when fsx was released. The feedback from sim users was violent because hardly anyone could run it. I had a real slide show going and put it away. Three years later I upgraded by computer and now I could enjoy it. I think most people upgrade their computers over time.

I have fsx on my system and hardly never use it. Gone to P3D and X-plane 11 but do like to keep up with the fsx news as it also impacts P3D.

I’m sorry also to say that in the old days when logging on to the outhouse, there would be a full page and a half to two pages of threads. Now only 1/3 to 1/2 page of comments and the P3D forum less than that. We need something to get the x boxers back to simming.

Such a shame the two-seat Starfighter was never developed for FSX or indeed P2Dv4. IMHO one of the most beautiful planes ever built. Just goes to show the old adage 'if it looks great it is great' is not always right....!

My interpretation of a UK Starfighter. Sindwinders by SSW, Mk.82 by roger-wilco-66.

Sadly just an MCX mash-up

DaveQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot.jpg  
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    .....My next computer build will be with the 64-bit future in mind.
    My next computer will be another 10" tablet as the one I have is getting long in the tooth. The reality is that I can no longer justify the cost of a dedicated computer just for my flight simming. Everything else I do I can do just fine on a tablet or even a smart phone. I see this as a growing trend among the older crowd (my crowd), as I rarely see desktop computers at any of my friends or family homes anymore. I'm one of the last that has a desktop computer, and once this one breaks, I'm done with dedicated desktops.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

That's Great But

For those who do not have the money to buy a new computer to run P3DV4 that's a bummer. I'll just continue to fly the 200+GB of FSX aircraft and scenery I have saved and just won't buy any new ones. As long as AVSIM, SIMVIATION, FLIGHTSIM AND FLYAWAY SIM are around there's downloads for free and I have more than enough to have fun 24/7 not to have to spend any more money on flightsim and still have fun until they batten down the lid on me. LOL. iFly is doing the same thing. They're in this for the money as a commercial supplier. Hope that not all the rest follow suit anytime soon but support all the platforms for all the stuff I HAVE gotten payware.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Such a shame the two-seat Starfighter was never developed for FSX or indeed P2Dv4. IMHO one of the most beautiful planes ever built. Just goes to show the old adage 'if it looks great it is great' is not always right....!

My interpretation of a UK Starfighter. Sindwinders by SSW, Mk.82 by roger-wilco-66.

Sadly just an MCX mash-up

DaveQ
    Love it. Care to share the repaint Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    For those who do not have the money to buy a new computer to run P3DV4 that's a bummer. I'll just continue to fly the 200+GB of FSX aircraft and scenery I have saved and just won't buy any new ones. As long as AVSIM, SIMVIATION, FLIGHTSIM AND FLYAWAY SIM are around there's downloads for free and I have more than enough to have fun 24/7 not to have to spend any more money on flightsim and still have fun until they batten down the lid on me. LOL. iFly is doing the same thing. They're in this for the money as a commercial supplier. Hope that not all the rest follow suit anytime soon but support all the platforms for all the stuff I HAVE gotten payware.
    I fully agree.

I looked on the L-M site tonight and saw this. "Prepar3D is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product" Are most users ignoring this stipulation?

I bought FSX and nobody tells me I can't use it.

The young ones and young adults in our family and extended family could care less about desktop computers or tablets for that matter. They just want the most expensive up-to-date cell phones (with the best built-in cameras) that money can buy. Children have a knack for losing or breaking cell phones too on a regular basis, so we have to factor that in too. That's where most of my "computer" budget goes now days. Hence, no new desktop computer for me in the future. Times and priorities have changed for many of us.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Tommieboy, just do as I do - you want a phone? Go to work! When you have enough money to pay for it, you can have it. Until then, no phone. They'll survive -- We all did, without them (cell phones). They have everything and appreciate nothing nowadays.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

From Captain Sims point of view, those of you (and me) who can't afford the newest rigs to run P3D, also can't afford the latest add-ons. They are purely catering for the majority of their market, those who have interest and income.

fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Tommieboy, just do as I do - you want a phone? Go to work! When you have enough money to pay for it, you can have it. Until then, no phone. They'll survive -- We all did, without them (cell phones). They have everything and appreciate nothing nowadays.
    I'm with you on that, but more schools are now requiring tablets (and some now require cell phones too) as mandatory school supplies. More schools are switching from hardcopy books to Internet based e-book lessons.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

High schools? Or Universities? My kids middle schools have Chrome books. But those are paid for via Public schrool funds. Interesting. Well you can always get the cheapest free phones! Would hate to see you have to give your hobby because of this sensationalist cell phone addicted cry-baby, self-induced pandemic... You deserve better!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    High schools? Or Universities? My kids middle schools have Chrome books. But those are paid for via Public schrool funds. Interesting. Well you can always get the cheapest free phones! Would hate to see you have to give your hobby because of this sensationalist cell phone addicted cry-baby, self-induced pandemic... You deserve better!
    Elementary School.

In any case, it was mentioned earlier in this thread that FSX still has a huge following. So, as long as I can keep my current rig patched together, I can still keep my foot in the flight sim world. As far as P3D goes, I can't deny that I'm really envious of the developments that I coming down the pipeline and wish all the P3D converts all the best.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Personally I am really glad they are going to focus on V4, since I upgraded to it myself I really miss there 707 and 727, and been disappointed on how slow they were going, I just hope this means they are going to speed up there releases.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

I keep P3D3 running just so I can fly my CS tubes.
    What really annoys me is their delay in upgrading when an operation like Just Flight makes a point of keeping up to date.
    OT: The latest batch of 'phones' aren't marketed as such, now they're promoted as 'cameras'........which any serious photographer finds hilarious.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I will waiting if P3D implement PBR or similar for more realistic 3D world, then I'll thinking for new rig and considering for new development focus
    as developer, maintaining widespread of sim version, neither easy, neither hard, it just need more time.
    upgrading complex aircraft system from 32bit to 64bit could be hard, or the worse things is the code can't upgrade-able to 64bit which is need to do rewrite everything from scratch.
    Maryadi

Members who have read this thread: 0