Captain Sim Stops Developing for FSX

Thread: Captain Sim Stops Developing for FSX

Hybrid View

Captain Sim Stops Developing for FSX

https://www.captainsim.org/forum/csf.pl?num=1539357669

P.S. P3Dv1-3 is also on Captain Sim's cut list! No more 32 bit development.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

One of many developers that have already or are planning to drop development / support for FSX. I think FSX real nail in the coffin was that its graphics engine was always CPU limited, never making good use of the on-going GPU improvements over the years. Sad to say, I will not be moving on to P3D. I might end up going back to DCS.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

I actually think this is great news, as that means they'll be able to full take advantage of the new capabilities of P3D V4+.

FSX did it's time. It's horribly designed for modern hardware. I for one welcome our new 64-bit overlords.

The nice thing is that people can still develop less demanding freeware, etc. that will work on both sims, so FSX can still be supported while also supporting the new sims, bridging the past and the future. As opposed to the folks who still develop for FS9, which been a dead-end since the DX10 beta was released last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    I for one welcome our new 64-bit overlords. .
    made me chuckle.
    I hope they will port their 707 over soon. I really liked flying that one.
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Makes sense, just as long as they get the B707/727/737 into 64bit format sooner rather than later.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Still, there are a lot of people flying FS8 and FS9. Along with Windows 98. ;-)
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
    One of many developers that have already or are planning to drop development / support for FSX. I think FSX real nail in the coffin was that its graphics engine was always CPU limited, never making good use of the on-going GPU improvements over the years. Sad to say, I will not be moving on to P3D. I might end up going back to DCS.

Tommy
    Might?

Here's 5 reasons:

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Dammit Rick! I was trying to resist the Tomcat. Now what am I gonna do?!
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

For years we have pleaded for a 64-bit version of FSX. MicroSoft ceased all further development of their flight sim (other than Flight, which did not last very long), now Lockheed-Martin has taken FSX to the 64-bit world. FSX and FSX-Steam will go the way of FS9, far fewer additional payware scenery and aircraft, but I expect the freeware to continue for quite some time. Is this the final nail in the coffin of FSX? Not really, but FSX died years ago and with no alternatives, we did not notice. Today, there are alternatives and they are 64-bit and they do make better use of the video card. My next computer build will be with the 64-bit future in mind.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

FSX will dead only when the operating system no longer supports fsx, at that point I will stick with FSX

Also looking to these graphics of 64 make me stick more and more! Knowing that my system not supot all these graphics

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    .....My next computer build will be with the 64-bit future in mind.
    My next computer will be another 10" tablet as the one I have is getting long in the tooth. The reality is that I can no longer justify the cost of a dedicated computer just for my flight simming. Everything else I do I can do just fine on a tablet or even a smart phone. I see this as a growing trend among the older crowd (my crowd), as I rarely see desktop computers at any of my friends or family homes anymore. I'm one of the last that has a desktop computer, and once this one breaks, I'm done with dedicated desktops.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Members who have read this thread: 0