Captain Sim Stops Developing for FSX - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Captain Sim Stops Developing for FSX

isn't this about facing up to reality? 32 bit has served us well for years, but progress now dictates moving over to 64 bit.

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    isn't this about facing up to reality? 32 bit has served us well for years, but progress now dictates moving over to 64 bit.

Priller
    And that is just it. Progress. When MS released the demo of FSX, I hated it. It ran poorly on my computer, the graphics appeared to be inferior to those in my tricked out FS9, and I just did not like it. Once FSX became established and many of the bugs were fixed, software developers focused their attention on FSX and the new features that FSX brought to the flight sim world. I ended up embracing FSX and a few months ago, having not used it in ages for anything other than testing and having problems with my flight sim hard drive, I deleted FS9 when I upgraded the drive to a SSD. I see P3Dv4 and X-Plane 11 the same way I saw FSX back in 2006. My current computer won't run them, I'm holding onto FSX, but I know that in a couple of years I will end up enjoying the new, 64-bit flight sims.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Why in the world would they announce this when almost their entire fleet is still 32 bit only? At the rate they're 'upgrading' aircraft, by the time they're finished, we'll all be on P3D V6. It doesn't make sense from a business perspective to make an announcement that alienates most of your customers and offerings, without giving you some sort of competitive advantage.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Two weeks ago, I finally got a custom built rig (i7-8700k, GTX 1070 OC, 16gb RAM) to run P3Dv4. This machine is just adequate for running P3D; but with absolutely no AI, boats or car traffic.

Unless you are willing to put up with more shimmering and poor anti-aliasing (especially compare to FSX) than I am; 8XSSAA is a required setting.
    Mike Mann

Blog Entries
    I have all of my FSX CS aircraft archived on safe storage. I have my primary work/flight box that runs Win10 64bit and P3Dv4.
    I have a second box (needs a new cpu) that runs Win7 32bit. I keep a boxed version of FSX/Acceleration in my physical possession.

There should be no dilemma for those who choose to follow the technology curve, and are able to make the investments in hardware. The new 64bit CS packages will make a fine addition to the existing inventory. Just don't have any fun if you fly them in P3D. Promise...cross your heart.

A good FSX setup is still quite lovely and can offer worlds of fun...without consequences...for those who cannot, or choose not to go 64bit.

As for the developers, anyone who has undertaken to learn either scenery or aircraft development (or both in my case) realizes that the 32bit/64but curve becomes unrealistic and economically prohibitive to maintain. Keeping up with P3D is a full time commitment, and now moving towards the new engine things are going to accelerate away from FSX rapidly. The cost benefit are difficult for large teams to manage, much less developers who are restricted with resource limitations.

I think it's great that CS is moving towards 64bit and beyond. Their existing 32bit inventory has been a joy for many years and will remain magnificent for those who remain in FSX.

It's really a win/win...IMO.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

"Prepar3D is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product" Are most users ignoring this stipulation?

No comments on this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    "Prepar3D is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product" Are most users ignoring this stipulation?

No comments on this?
    That's kind of a third rail subject, and has been discussed in depth. Verboten.

For my own part, I primarily use FSX and P3D as test beds for scenery and aircraft that I create. This keeps me in honor with the P3D EULA regardless of whether or not I am entertained, which I am not...never...ever.

FSX and Prepar3D both offer SDKs for any, and everyone to explore, and could be construed as an "educational" tool by any definition. Therefore, anyone using the SDK to learn is in honor of the Prepar3D EULA and not subject to ethical violation of the letter of the contract.

The above is purely my opinion and should not be construed as legal advice, and does not necessarily represent the views or opinions of this site, their management or administration.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Personally, I really don't care if CS stops developing for FSX. Every plane I ever bought from them was filled with bugs and things that didn't work. I run FSX, FSX Steam and P3Dv3. If they are not going to build for P3dv3 that really won't do me any good.
    Last edited by mal998; October 14th, 2018 at 08:32.

No comments on this?
    The comment following SOH rules is the following: Don't mention the P3D EULA.

Priller

No comments on this?
    You can use it, just don't enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    The comment following SOH rules is the following: Don't mention the P3D EULA.

Priller
    That is like the thing, first person to make a comparison with Hitler in any argument, that person has lost the argument.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    That is like the thing, first person to make a comparison with Hitler in any argument, that person has lost the argument.
    That's just it. I don't comment on the EULA, but I use and enjoy P3Dv4.3. 64 bit is the future. And P3D currently is the superior product. XP11 doesn't even come close.

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by mmann View Post
    Two weeks ago, I finally got a custom built rig (i7-8700k, GTX 1070 OC, 16gb RAM) to run P3Dv4. This machine is just adequate for running P3D; but with absolutely no AI, boats or car traffic.

Unless you are willing to put up with more shimmering and poor anti-aliasing (especially compare to FSX) than I am; 8XSSAA is a required setting.
    Well that's a better set up than I've got and I don't have any of those problems. I'm running an i5 from about 4 years ago, a 4gb nVidia graphics card, and 8gb of RAM. No anti-aliasing problems and I have plenty of AI, including Henrik's shipping and custom routes for about 20+ airlines.

"Two weeks ago, I finally got a custom built rig (i7-8700k, GTX 1070 OC, 16gb RAM) to run P3Dv4. This machine is just adequate for running P3D; but with absolutely no AI, boats or car traffic.

Unless you are willing to put up with more shimmering and poor anti-aliasing (especially compare to FSX) than I am; 8XSSAA is a required setting. "

I'm running a 6 year old PC with an AMD 8150, and have none of the problems discussed. and was running an old 770 GTX for the longest time -- AMD isn't as good as Intel for the FSX/P3D from my experience...so if my rig can work, it sounds like you need to tune that rig into the machine it can be!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

+1 Same here. i7700k 4.2GHz non-oc, GTX1070. Frames locked at 60fps for completely smooth aerobatics and maneuvering. No cfg tweaking at all.

No comments on this?
    All I am going to say is that P3D is one of the best pieces of EDUCATIONAL software I have ever purchased.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Indeed, and not a single one of us P3D simmers are entertained at all while flying that simulator

Concerning the remarks from people who think they cannot update their computers to run P3D or any 64 bits sims, I understand that a full PC is quite a budget. I had to change my 9 years-old computer recently and that was a bug expense. But keep that in mind:
    - At some point in the past, you had to buy a computer to run what you're running now.
    - Computers are not eternal.
    - At some point in the not-so-distant future, your old computer is going to die, and you'll have to buy a new one. Or rent it (Shadow PC and such, maybe?)
    - Most of today's computers can run P3D quite well.
    - Most of 3-4 years-old hardware can run P3D quite well too, although not at max quality (but still way ahead of FSX)

Yeah, I'm running an i7-2700k with GTX980 in a system built 6 1/2 years ago and I can run FSX, P3DV3, P3DV4 and X Plane 11 quite comfortably and can use the Oculus Rift very comfortably with DCS World and Aerofly FS2.

I did add the GTX980 at a later date than the original build (about 2 years ago) because my original AMD7970 bit the dust.

I have seen users with the i7-8700k and GTX1080 get triple digit frames with ease.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

As 000Rick000 stated in an earlier response, it seems that you have not properly optimized your P3D settings. There are many, many tips available for proper settings (likely because there are many settings that potentially affect sim performance). I run AMD, and a graphics card that is less capable than yours, and have been very pleased with the performance of P3D. I found that Dynamic 3D Autogen really impacts performance, so that needs to be turned off.

Like I said, lots of tips and tweaks comments around. For example, take a look at this - https://www.nmgsimulations.co.za/pre.../#.W8SXgGhKjic . Good luck.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Forget about P3Dv4; I just installed X-Plane 11 on my new system and I'm blown away by how great it looks and runs now.

On the old computer I didn't have the video card to handle 8x SSAA+FXAA in X-Plane 11, so the anti-aliasing was horrendous; but the new system can, and it shows!

Thanks, anyway, for the comments on fixing P3D. I did look at some of the settings guides, but most were written by people running 4k monitors so they didn't need SSAA at all (only MSAA).

The 4k crowd also have monitors that can run at 30hz, so synchronizing at 30 fps is easy!
    Mike Mann

For what it's worth, when it was clear that V4 was about to be released and my system did not meet the 'recommended' specs I ordered a new system, but V4 was released before it arrived and I installed it on the old machine that at least meet the minimum specs. On the old machine V4 ran better than V3 did, so don't be afraid.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Pfft! It is a non event. Buzz ...

JMC

Forget about P3Dv4; I just installed X-Plane 11 on my new system and I'm blown away by how great it looks and runs now.
    Ah, now your previous post/'observation' makes sense. LOL
    Last edited by bbrz; October 15th, 2018 at 19:57.

Quote Originally Posted by gastonj View Post
    Pfft! It is a non event. Buzz ...

JMC
    Totally. Now, if they cut the prices on their FSX models, gave them away for free or removed them from the store all together, it MIGHT be significant.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

SOH-CM-2018
    Quote Originally Posted by odourboy View Post
    Totally. Now, if they cut the prices on their FSX models, gave them away for free or removed them from the store all together, it MIGHT be significant.
    Some of their FSX models are on sale. I am thinking of buying a C130.

Go here: https://www.captainsim.com/store/

Members who have read this thread: 0