A few screenies of recent endeavours... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A few screenies of recent endeavours...

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    MR: Are you using the stock or Rhumba's mesh for your background scenery?
    Rhumba's

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Worthless View Post
    Love all your stuff MR. So happy to see your new updates. Especially Micronesia. Just been re-reading John Lundstrom's "The First Team" and went looking for a CFS2 Makin and found it in your original mr_micronesia. Your scenery is so much better than the MS versions. Wonder if you might might do some replacements?
    Hiya Worthless. A little follow-up to my last reply to your post.

I have started in earnest on Butaritari Atoll (Makin Island). Started with Butaritari Island itself as a separate project. I wanted to get the coastline and assorted piers and wharves looking as close as possible to the WWII Japanese set-up. Next up will be a separate project of Makin Island proper (up in the far NE corner of the atoll). Then I will do all of the lesser Islands in one project.

My project map ended up being a hodge podge combination of SRTM shuttle water-body data, Google-earth image and a nice map from the Hyperwar website.

The attached image shows progress so far. Still needs roads and proper water class and so on. but its coming along nicely. I will include a very rough runway and airfield set-up although there was actually no airfield until after the Allies occupied the island.

And, oh yeah, Shessi's Emily wreck ends up nestled snugly against the base of Kings Wharf just where it is supposed to be!

Anyhow, here how she looks so far:
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Butaritari Atoll (Makin) coming along!

Hi guys. Progress on Butaritari (Makin) Atoll. Still need to do the water-class and touch-up a few other details. Its been a fun little project!

The first shot is an overview of the entire atoll. The second two are close-ups of Butaritari Island.
    The second three, next post, show close-ups of Makin Island. The airfield on Makin is way over-done for anything that was ever actually there. But I can't resist the urge to indulge my artistic license!

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Making Island

Screenies of Makin Island

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

MaskRider,

Love your work. Your scenery really comes alive with GSL.

I am still hopelessly fixated on my father's war, and fly from Ie Shima every day.

Thanks again all your work, and for me, particulary Ie Shima.

Lookin good MR, lookin good! I'm tempted to do another PTO install, using Rhumba's mesh et al.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Impressive ...

Chris, they should have had someone with your current skill set on the original design team, just for the aesthetics. But then again, that might have turned this into a civie sim with far more tourists than combat pilots

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Icon22 Shessi's Kawanishiu Emily and its wreck

Happily, the wrecked Kawanishi Emily created by Shessi ended up almost exactly in the spot where it is supposed to be!

Cheers,
    MR

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kawanishi-emily-03.jpg   kawanishi-emily-02.jpg  
    Last edited by MaskRider; October 24th, 2018 at 13:57.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

MR, this is looking first rate.

Icon22 Gilbert Islands: Working my way around the map

A few more screenies. The latest are a couple of easier little projects: Arorae and Tamana Islands. First image is a Gilbert Islands map- with check marks next to completed locations. Then two shots each of Arorae Island and Tamana Island.

Cheers,
    MR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gilberts-map-annotated.jpg   arorae-island-00.jpg   arorae-island-01.jpg   tamana-island-00red.jpg   tamana-island-01red.jpg  

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    Hiya Worthless. A little follow-up to my last reply to your post.

I have started in earnest on Butaritari Atoll (Makin Island). Started with Butaritari Island itself as a separate project. I wanted to get the coastline and assorted piers and wharves looking as close as possible to the WWII Japanese set-up. Next up will be a separate project of Makin Island proper (up in the far NE corner of the atoll). Then I will do all of the lesser Islands in one project.

My project map ended up being a hodge podge combination of SRTM shuttle water-body data, Google-earth image and a nice map from the Hyperwar website.

The attached image shows progress so far. Still needs roads and proper water class and so on. but its coming along nicely. I will include a very rough runway and airfield set-up although there was actually no airfield until after the Allies occupied the island.

And, oh yeah, Shessi's Emily wreck ends up nestled snugly against the base of Kings Wharf just where it is supposed to be!

Anyhow, here how she looks so far:

Fantastic MR. Just what we needed. I can hardly wait.

Aye, fantastic work Chris!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon22 Reply...

Chris,

This new scenery really does look fantastic, your scenery for the Pacific (as well as those made by UncleTgt) have so radically enhanced CFS2, it's truly incredible.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Looking very good. Thanks, the old girl can really appreciate the Pacific makeover.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Icon22 Onotoa Atoll

Just about finished with this little gem: Onotoa Atoll.

Still need to build a proper airfield but otherwise she's just about done.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Onotoa Atoll 95% complte

Aside from adding a few more scenery objects at various remote locations on Onotoa, she's pretty much a done deal!

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Library Staff
    Magnificent Chris! I just want to get down there and go for a swim or a snorkel.

Icon22

Beru Island: almost finished. needs a little more water-class tweaking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beru-island-09.jpg   beru-island-10.jpg   beru-island-11.jpg   beru-island-12.jpg  

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22 Nikunau Island pretty much in the can!

Well, the southern Gilberts are almost done. Just putting final touches on Nikunau Island- a relative quick study. Then it is on to Nonouti Atoll and then north to Abaing, Marakei and lastly, Tarawa.

Hopefully this thread along with everyone else's will survive the "MOVE" which I believe is scheduled to begin early tomorrow morning? Yes?

See everybody on the other side!

Cheers,
    MR

A few pictures of Nikunau Island.

Last edited by MaskRider; November 3rd, 2018 at 09:14.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Nice work Chris ...and i can appreciate the subtle but perceptible difference in the coloration of the inland lakes in contrast to the surrounding blue sea. Seeing inland lakes the same color as the open sea or the coral shores has always been a little irritant for me in my casual touring, since its counter to reality

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    Nice work Chris ...and i can appreciate the subtle but perceptible difference in the coloration of the inland lakes in contrast to the surrounding blue sea. Seeing inland lakes the same color as the open sea or the coral shores has always been a little irritant for me in my casual touring, since its counter to reality
    Hiya BC,

Yes, that inland lake/pond coloration issue has always niggled at me too. Especially in south Pacific island locations. And what's doubly annoying is that much of the time the "water" class uncovered by those inland water masks is water class 1 which is that bright blue color that reacts like dirt instead of water when you shoot bullets into it. Very annoying. Now days what I do is after I create the lake/pond water masks in my project's land.LWM I then save that project as ponds.LWM, delete everything but the lwm lake water masks and then convert those into textured VTP1-7 polys using a texture called pondwater.bmp to texture them. I think its a much nicer effect (plus I make sure that the water class underlying the location is actually water).

Happy you noticed!

MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; November 3rd, 2018 at 16:50.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

MR: In pictures 2 and 4 in post 43 above, (Excellent shots BTW) You show some very well laid out airbases. Since my poor eyes cannot see any, I'll ask: Did you place any defensive infrastructure objects like AA gun pit positions, shore batteries etc. and port facilities, or are you leaving those to the user? Are the runways with lights, and ADF?

SW07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    MR: In pictures 2 and 4 in post 43 above, (Excellent shots BTW) You show some very well laid out airbases. Since my poor eyes cannot see any, I'll ask: Did you place any defensive infrastructure objects like AA gun pit positions, shore batteries etc. and port facilities, or are you leaving those to the user? Are the runways with lights, and ADF?

SW07
    Hiya SW07,

Some of them have port facilities- very rudimentary. Basically with the port facilities if I saw some while viewing the locations on Google Earth, I added them. If not, I didn't. But its all pretty much up to me- all of these airfields are over built in any event, compared to anything that was actually ever there- most of them anyway. But that's the way I like it! ;^) Target rich and plenty of stuff to look at.

But as of yet none of them has any AA emplacements- although they really should. I just forgot. The runways are all lit- at the dimmest level.

What are your preferences. I can always include lit and unlit runway versions- easily. Do you prefer having AA positions all set up ready to go?

MR

Not including Butaritari Island (Makin Atoll), the following locations have port facilities (any excuse to post some more screenies!)

Port facilities Abemama Atoll:

Port facilities Maiana Atoll:

Port facilities Onotoa Atoll:

Port Facilities Tabiteua Atoll North:

Port Facilities Tabiteuea South:

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Peferences? I prefer the dimly lit versions with some AA positions and a target rich environment like you have here.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Simply stunning Chris , Those look better than my older brothers first copy of Penthouse

Members who have read this thread: 0