Black_Pond_Airfield
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black_Pond_Airfield

Black_Pond_Airfield

My next project is this unique airport built on Black Pond near Farmers Mills, NY., and about 5nm SSW of Stormville Airport. Although the lake and the landmass that makes up the airport are depicted in FSX (see image below), the airport itself is not. Apparently a local Banker had the lake drained, the airport surface built up to serve as the land area for the runway and then the lake refilled.

It would be a great fixer upper for anyone who wants to build an airport since the land area in the Sim is already in place, just needs a flatten to knock out vegetation and give a level, surface for the runway, add a few houses, a dock or two along the lake and a hangar with a parking spot and it's yours, lol
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Knowing you it will be another gem.

Looking forward to it.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    Knowing you it will be another gem.
    Looking forward to it.
    Well, it was going to be a quick turnaround since there wasn't much to it. . .One hangar, a runway, a few cars, some grass and "boom baby". . .on to the next one. Instead I spotted something in the grove of trees along the water across the runway from the hangar. . . .A deck and hot tub, lol. I've spent more time on the object below than I planned on spending on the entire project. . . .oh well.

Current System Specs:

Some WIP shots. . .just about got it.

Current System Specs:

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Outstanding as usual. What a unique airport.

Looking great Ed!

Cees

Blog Entries
    Outstanding Ed!
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Ed:

I definitely don't want to take up much of your time that could be better used with creating ever better scenery. But, I just have to say how much I like the White Birch airfield. It is stunning. Please don't get burned out and keep up the fantastic work. I would enjoy you paying another visit to the WWII training bases it that ever strikes your fancy again.

That is outstanding work Ed! In the Google image I note that there are at least 3 C90 Kingairs parked at that airfield.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    That is outstanding work Ed! In the Google image I note that there are at least 3 C90 Kingairs parked at that airfield.
    That's correct Mark. Doesn't seem like there's much known about the airfield, no FAA ID number, nothing to speak of when "googled". Here is where I found it, an interesting story on how it came to be;

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NY/Airfields_NY_SE.htm

Current System Specs:

Hi Ed. This has the makings of a very nice scenery (love the boulders).

Just a few initial observations on first run:

1. The runway flashes on and off depending on viewing angle - although I do get this in a few other sceneries, could be my setup:

2. The road (to me) seems way too bright - particularly noticeable where it rises almost vertically to the house on the hill (although I have no idea how this road looks in reality):

Also, this house has a fence that is floating off the hill.

3. Are we missing a floor texture in the gazebo? :

Otherwise, everything else seems okay - no apparent elevation problems.

Hope this is of some help,

Regards,

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.runwayA.jpg   2.runwayB.jpg   3.road-house.jpg   4.gazebo floor.jpg  

I get the runway flashing as well in P3D v3.4 and 4.3.
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark62 View Post
    Hi Ed. This has the makings of a very nice scenery (love the boulders).

Just a few initial observations on first run:
    1. The runway flashes on and off depending on viewing angle - although I do get this in a few other sceneries, could be my setup:

2. The road (to me) seems way too bright - particularly noticeable where it rises almost vertically to the house on the hill (although I have no idea how this road looks in reality):

Also, this house has a fence that is floating off the hill.

3. Are we missing a floor texture in the gazebo? :

Otherwise, everything else seems okay - no apparent elevation problems.

Hope this is of some help,

Regards,

Gary
    1. Mine does also, I've raised the rwy elevation just enough to counteract whatever is causing it. It doesn't display that way in FSX
    2. I'll see if I can tone down the road. . .the actual area (elevation-wise) looks nothing like this but I'm not messing with it. . .especially after White Birch. I'll move the house.
    3. Most likely. . .I'll check the textures attached to that object.

Thanks

Current System Specs:

For the runway disappearing issue, I had a similar problem back in P3D v3 days, when I upgraded an old FSX scenery of mine. A user emailed me that the solution he found was to move the scenery down in the library, just below the ORBX libraries entry. I still can not explain why this worked but it did. I think it is an ORBX issue. In mine, it was not only the runway but a few objects as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    For the runway disappearing issue, I had a similar problem back in P3D v3 days, when I upgraded an old FSX scenery of mine. A user emailed me that the solution he found was to move the scenery down in the library, just below the ORBX libraries entry. I still can not explain why this worked but it did. I think it is an ORBX issue. In mine, it was not only the runway but a few objects as well.
    Curious, but unfortunately doesn't work (for me) in this instance.

Will try this when I come across this problem with other sceneries though.

Gary

I've tried several fixes in P3D, including the one Dimus mentions. None of them fix the problem. I have a friend testing in P3D now who does not run any Orbx products just to see if it shows there as well. We'll see.

Current System Specs:

Pity the solution did not work for you. Here is the thread at FSDeveloper from when I had the issue. There is another link in there to another thread with a similar problem and solutions that did not work for me. Maybe they will work for you:
    https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...3/#post-748622

Actually a custom GP for the runway surface would permanently solve this.

ALL of the ORBX scenery has to be top priority (listed above all other scenery) and there is even a requisite order to the individual items..I have global mesh at the top, followed by the NA packages, Nor Cal, Central Cal, So Cal, PNW, Alaska, etc..followed by the individual ORBX airports then any other ORBX files - followed by all other add-on scenery files, then the default stuff. Not doing this creates elevation problems, missing items, all manner of falderal
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

. . . . .Actually a custom GP for the runway surface would permanently solve this.
    The one thing I have always thought would be great to know how to do. . .yes, it would definitely solve the problem.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    ALL of the ORBX scenery has to be top priority (listed above all other scenery) and there is even a requisite order to the individual items..I have global mesh at the top, followed by the NA packages, Nor Cal, Central Cal, So Cal, PNW, Alaska, etc..followed by the individual ORBX airports then any other ORBX files - followed by all other add-on scenery files, then the default stuff. Not doing this creates elevation problems, missing items, all manner of falderal
    Interesting, I have always had all of my addon sceneries placed above Orbx.. .seemed logical to me to have those above everything that makes up my base scenery. Even FTX Central gives you the ability to set an entry point below which all Orbx is installed. Seems like that wouldn't be needed if Orbx was required to be first above everything.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    The one thing I have always thought would be great to know how to do. . .yes, it would definitely solve the problem.
    I was like you until a few months ago, until I decided to teach myself. It's easier than you think and with your creative talent, you would make wonders. I'll send you some hints and tips when I manage. P3D also presents some amazing capabilities with the specs and bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Interesting, I have always had all of my addon sceneries placed above Orbx.. .seemed logical to me to have those above everything that makes up my base scenery. Even FTX Central gives you the ability to set an entry point below which all Orbx is installed. Seems like that wouldn't be needed if Orbx was required to be first above everything.
    I'm also confused now, because all the advice I have seen has been to put add-on airports at the top above ORBX stuff.
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Quote Originally Posted by thefrog View Post
    I'm also confused now, because all the advice I have seen has been to put add-on airports at the top above ORBX stuff.
    Problem solved:
    This per Nick Cooper at Orbx Direct:

If you have no other Addon scenery (which would be rare indeed) then Orbx would be at the very top of the Scenery Library Priority list.
    If you have additional Addon Scenery then Orbx would be set below the lowest Addon Scenery.

That last statement shows the reason for the "Library Insertion Point" Option. It allows you to browse to the lowest addon scenery location and set that point as where the Orbx products should be installed.

Current System Specs:

I was like you until a few months ago, until I decided to teach myself. It's easier than you think and with your creative talent, you would make wonders. I'll send you some hints and tips when I manage. P3D also presents some amazing capabilities with the specs and bumps.
    I did give it a go on a scenery several months ago and thought I had it figured out. I used MCX to place the ground poly, but when I loaded the sim it showed up 200yds away and 180 degrees out. I stopped there and have never done anything else. I don't even remember the steps I used so I'd have to start over from the beginning.

Current System Specs:

After many attempts to correct the issue of the disappearing runway, it seems to happen more often in P3D/Orbx than in FSX, although I do have one individual who says it happens to him in that Sim as well. Moving the scenery down in the priority list does not seem to be an "all encompassing" fix as it works for some but not others. Changing the elevation in small increments does not help so I'm out of ideas at this point. I can make the scenery "as is" and let each individual decide if it's worth keeping or I can shelve it for the time being and maybe somewhere down the road someone will hit on the answer.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 0