question on gun muzzle velocity

Thread: question on gun muzzle velocity

question on gun muzzle velocity

gunstation.0=0,-2,1,0.10,883,2,0.01,500,2,40,4d4*14,-2.826,-0.653,0.696,0.2494260,13.010904,1.0793248,0,0,0,0, 1.60

883 = muzzle velocity (meters/second). [Machine gun and cannon only. All other weapons = 0]
    If you look at the gunstation values in the DP file, the muzzle velocity seems to be in meters/sec.

If you play IL2 or look at the actual WW2 gun camera footage, the bullets travel faster and in a much flatter trajectory than in CFS2.

Is it possible that the muzzle velocity should be input in ft/sec (the value should be 3.281 times bigger)?

Please see this video:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...e5&action=view

Icon4

Hi AC,
    What I would say is that the sim uses a formula and you would have to abide by that, as changing bullet velocity will change it's kinnetic energy and therefore give it different/more damaging characteristics. You would have to change all your ac DP's that carry that weapon. If a eg .30/7.62mm bullet etc therefore causes more damage then you would have to change the 'break'/damage values of all the ac to make it less damaged by eg this type of bullet, as if you don't then suddenly this ac or all ac with this weapon would become uber powerful. If you do change the damage values then it means all ac will be less damaged by larger calibre rounds, so would be unrealstic for that larger type of round...and you would disappear up your own doo-daa changing everyting to keep the balance of ordinance power and damage resistance capabilities of every ac!

TBH what happens in IL-2 (a very good sim) is only Oleg's interpretation of 'bullet time'. And as for gun camera footage, as interesting as it is, you can't accurately compare real world physics to CFS2.

And yes by all means, have a go and see what happens, you may be pleased with the results, BUT don't forget how that will affect all other ac and the amount of damage you do with that ac/weapon, and how realistic it is in the sim.

Cheers

Shessi

There's very little about the weapons or aero physics of this retail sim that i would consider "realistic" out of the box, especially bullet/shell damage parameters. One of my initial objections in the beginning was the low damage dice of what should be devastating .50 cal APHEI ammo used by all WWII era USAAC and USN aircraft, not to mention the lame effects displayed by 20mm damage dices and MZ's. Moreover, IMO .30 cal damage effects are also woefully shortchanged. For these reasons and others one would be hard pressed to find any true "stock" gunstations in any dp in my hangars. I say tweak it all to your heart's delight and enjoy the show!

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Members who have read this thread: 0