Gremlins, Gremlins Gremlins!

Thread: Gremlins, Gremlins Gremlins!

SOH-CM-2018

Gremlins, Gremlins Gremlins!

Hi all!

All I wanted to do today was do a little flying. It was not going to happen easily.

3 months ago I purchased an Alienware Aurora with all the bells and whistles and Win 10. This is a box used exclusively for flight sim with the additional programs like AI carriers etc. Most of these were saved on the previous computer and transferred over and installed.

I have had this strange problem since I had purchased it.

Periodically when I would click on a file, it would be immediately sent to the Recycle Bin. When double clicking to open a folder, all the items in that folder and sometimes unrelated folders would prepare to be deleted. At one time I had 30 some separate pop up windows preparing to be deleted. I could frantically cancel the process and reboot.

I can usually reboot the box and the problem would disappear.

After a month of this on and off behavior, I called Microsoft support. Using remote desktop, the Microsoft tech was able to witness this bizarre behavior. He told me that I had a virus and we restored the computer to factory condition. Of course this necessitated me reinstalling everything. The problem still occurred on and off.

Today I moved some files in my FSX simobjects to try something out. My computer locked up and needed to be rebooted. Upon reboot the behavior of files being moved to the recycle bin returned. A virus scan with McAfee showed no infection. I had enough.

I called McAfee tech support and via remote desktop he witnessed the bizarre behavior. After he did all sorts of voodoo checking for viruses and malware, the computer showed clean. Since there was no virus that was all he could do. 2 hours worth and no closer to solving the problem.

So I called Dell support. Via remote desktop and witnessing the said behavior and using Dell support assist to run virus scan and showing none, he decided to check if non-window services were the cause of the problem. This resulted in those services NOT causing the problem. But in the process of doing that the machine was rebooted about six times. And the problem disappeared: For the Time Being. Over an hour on that call.

Who knows when it will resurface?

Thanks for "listening".

Joe

I drove a 1974 AMC Gremlin as a company car! That should give you a good laugh to brighten your day
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Joe, what kind of mouse are you using?

About a year after getting my current computer I purchased a wireless keyboard and mouse. They keyboard is great, but I've had some issues with the mouse. Or I should say mice.

Basically the original mouse would wear out over time, meaning the left button would get very, very, very sensitive whenever I clicked on something. I would go to make a copy of a file, and end up with multiple copies. Whenever I played a game of solitaire and click on a deck to deal, I would get two or three deals at once.

No matter what I would do to try and clean the internal components, the only solution was to replace the mouse with another. I'm now trying a different model from the same company to see how it performs over time. My original Dell USB mouse is my backup, but I just hate that wire.

Not saying it's the cause of your gremlins, but maybe something to experiment with?
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

SOH-CM-2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    I drove a 1974 AMC Gremlin as a company car! That should give you a good laugh to brighten your day
    Hi Zippy!

I can always count on you for your humor. I had a friend who had a Pacer. I much preferred its lines to that of the Gremlin's.

Cheers.

That's a weird one. Sure that your keyboard doesn't send "delete" signals constantly?

SOH-CM-2018
    Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Joe, what kind of mouse are you using?
    WarHorse,

I am currently using a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard that I have used for so long that I even forgot when I purchased it. I will take your suggestion seriously and switch the mouse and see if that makes any difference if and when the problem reoccurs.

However I used it on the machine that was replaced and I never had this problem. I guess it is possible that performance has significantly diminished over the past couple of months.

It is strange though, that those who had control of my machine, Microsoft, McAfee and Dell, not only witnessed the behavior but they also duplicated the problem using their mice and controlling my machine remotely. I don't know if that counts as their mice or mine.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will pursue your line of reasoning.

Gremlins! At least they're not out on the wing.

Joe

SOH-CM-2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zibell View Post
    That's a weird one. Sure that your keyboard doesn't send "delete" signals constantly?
    Stefano, thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes it is a weird one. I will follow Warhorses line of reason and switch out keyboard and mouse.

Joe

Yes. Logitech mice can be problematic. I've replaced several with sensitivity issues and am now trying out another model. They seem to wear out faster than other makes.
    -- WH

Ditto on what warhorse47 said , had the same problem , I have a wireless Logitech mouse and keyboard (2nd set) , the older it got the more sensitive the mouse became . I like repainting and believe me it would click and save and do things by me just moving the mouse , talk about messing up a repaint lol. Fixed it by replacing it and all works as it should , hope this helps

Bill

SOH-CM-2018
    Quote Originally Posted by flewpastu View Post
    Ditto on what warhorse47 said , had the same problem , I have a wireless Logitech mouse and keyboard (2nd set) , the older it got the more sensitive the mouse became . I like repainting and believe me it would click and save and do things by me just moving the mouse , talk about messing up a repaint lol. Fixed it by replacing it and all works as it should , hope this helps

Bill

When I got the new computer I took the keyboard and mouse (wired) that came with it and switched in the wireless.

I will switch them back and see if the wired set causes the same problem. I hope it is something as simple as that.

Otherwise.......
    Joe

Yes. Logitech mice can be problematic. I've replaced several with sensitivity issues and am now trying out another model. They seem to wear out faster than other makes.
    I've been using a Logitech MX518 mouse for many years without problems.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    I've been using a Logitech MX518 mouse for many years without problems.
    I've used three Logitech M510 and one Logitech M525. The wife has been using an M510 for years without a problem, so I finally got one for my desktop. Maybe I should blame the index finger on my right hand?
    -- WH

I've had similar problems due to a keyboard issue. (It was sending false "alt key is pressed" messages to Windows.)

If your PC game with a mouse/keyboard, I'd try swapping both of those in temporarily to see if it cures this issue.

If it doesn't, I'd start pressing Dell to swap the computer, as something is glitchy here. With the premium price you pay for Alienware, it should work.

SOH-CM-2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    I've had similar problems due to a keyboard issue. (It was sending false "alt key is pressed" messages to Windows.)

If your PC game with a mouse/keyboard, I'd try swapping both of those in temporarily to see if it cures this issue.

If it doesn't, I'd start pressing Dell to swap the computer, as something is glitchy here. With the premium price you pay for Alienware, it should work.
    DennyA,

I have switched out the wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse for new wired versions. We will see what happens.

Joe

SOH-CM-2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jmfabio View Post

I have switched out the wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse for new wired versions. We will see what happens.

Joe

I have switched out the Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard as stated above. With a couple of reboots and the wired Alienware keyboard and mouse that came with the computer, the weird behavior is back.

Microsoft says it is a virus, McAfee says they haven't found a virus or malware, Dell says they found nothing that would be causing it.

Time for Dell to give me a new Aurora 7.

I can't wait to see what kind of Charlie Foxtrot this is going to be.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jmfabio View Post

I have switched out the Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard as stated above. With a couple of reboots and the wired Alienware keyboard and mouse that came with the computer, the weird behavior is back.

Microsoft says it is a virus, McAfee says they haven't found a virus or malware, Dell says they found nothing that would be causing it.

Time for Dell to give me a new Aurora 7.

I can't wait to see what kind of Charlie Foxtrot this is going to be.

Joe
    Bummer..
    -- WH

SOH-CM-2018
    Bummer..
    Indeed!!!!!!!

Tried to do a system restore, at 3:00 PM local time Sunday. Got as far as "restoring registry". Still restoring registry at 8:00 AM local time Monday!

Technology.

Joe

Joe, do you have SupportAssist on your computer?

My Dell came with it installed. It was recently updated and I have it set to run once a month to detect any hardware issues.

My Dell is five years old, and a couple years ago the program detected a problem with the original hard drive. Rather than deal with Dell, I had the hard drive replaced by a local tech shop.

Just wondering.
    -- WH

I gave up on Dell. A couple of weeks ago I had to return the Alienware Aurora R7 I had just bought (after spending hours on the phone with tech support); the computer would just quit unexpectedly.

A few weeks before that I had to return the Dell Inspiron 5680 Gaming PC I had purchased the day before; the computer refused to boot up.

Next, I had a local computer store custom make a computer to my specs; it cost more, but I actually get to flight sim again!
    Mike Mann

Members who have read this thread: 0