c 47 speed

Thread: c 47 speed

c 47 speed

hello everyone I'm flying the wonderful c 47 Manfred, and my problem is that I can not reach a speed higher than 144kts, is there any configuration that allows to increase this speed ?, Many thanks and happy flights

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pere View Post
    hello everyone I'm flying the wonderful c 47 Manfred, and my problem is that I can not reach a speed higher than 144kts, is there any configuration that allows to increase this speed ?, Many thanks and happy flights
    I am surprised that you got that fast. The C-47 was never known for speed.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

139kts is considered a 'typical' cruise speed for C-47 if I remember....

Am usually cruising my C-47s at 140 to 142 KIAS.

​.

According to the aircraft.cfg, the cruise speed is 140 kts.
    Max speed is listed as 224, but I bet the only way to do that would be downhill. Steeply downhill. From a good altitude. I won't say with a good tail-wind, but you get the idea.
    You're not going to do much better than 145, level, at a reasonable altitude. Bear in mind, this isn't a pressurized aircraft, so you need to stay below 10-12,000' MSL. The higher you go, though, the thinner the air is. Less for the props to push, slower airspeed. I'm sure there's an optimum altitude for the best speed.
    The plane's optimum altitude in the Aircraft.cfg file's [Piston_Engine] section is shown as critical_altitude= 100 //7000 reduced to match 1" decrease per 1000 ft still matching MAPs at critical altitudes //Altitude to which the turbocharger will provide max design manifold pressure (feet).

I don't know if that helps at all...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Thank you all for the answers, I am already clear that I must prepare my flights with MORE TIME hahahaha

The DC-3/C-47 is not really a speedy aircraft and you cannot always believe the information found on Wikipedia. 140 KTS is the real cruising speed of the DC-3/C-47.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Blog Entries
    Well, I stand corrected. I never knew they could go that fast. I flew on one once, as a pax. I remember it as slow.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

If you do want some more speed you can change the power_scalar in the aircraft.cfg. Some pilots of my airline brought it up to 1.050.
    Roy

Just remember the higher you go you would need to check true airspeed numbers and not look at the airspeed indicator. Given a standard temp lapse rate and at the upper non-pressurized cruise altitude (unless you want to sim you have O2 on), I would check if the C-47 is flying as advertised by the book numbers. At least everyone knows it's slow!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Members who have read this thread: 0