Hello, introduction, and here's a few repaints! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello, introduction, and here's a few repaints!

Again...great repaints!

Downloading as I type.

The early war scheme for the RealAir Spit reminds me of the film 'Battle of Britain', where you see many later mark Spits wearing the early war schemes.

Many thanks..!
    It's like Christmas came early...

Thank you so much for these again, and I'm looking forward to all of the repaints you've shown!

It's so wonderful to finally have PL344 in FSX and to team it up with RN201 (though RealAir's depiction of RN201 lacks the serial). Both have been owned and operated (on a limited basis) by Tom Blair for more than the past decade. In recent years, both have been based at the Easton, Maryland airport in the US, where Tom has his private hangar, though over the years both could sometimes be seen in Florida when spending time at Stallion 51 at Kissimmee as well. (ORBX freeware airports includes a very nice rendition of Easton, by the way!)

Within the past week, however, both of these aircraft are now for sale (over the past couple years, Tom Blair also sold his Mustang and P-40). My personal wish is that whoever purchases RN201 will keep it in the silver/red scheme, and my other personal wish is that one of two Minnesota warbird owners would purchase PL344 (like Fagen Fighters) - I'd love to see it remain in the US and be operated more than it has been (and please, for heaven's sake, whoever purchases it, let it remain a single-seater!).

http://www.platinumfighters.com/spitfirepl344
    http://www.platinumfighters.com/spitfirern201

The price difference between the Mk.IX and the Mk.XIV illustrates the difference in demand/desirability between Spitfire types.

Wow, great shots again.
    I've actually done a quick "fix" for the default RN201 to make it represent the real example in 2018 too. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to upload it though as it's not entirely my own work?

I've also corrected the upload for PL344 to add the US rego under the tail. New version will replace the old in the library.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post

This is one fantastic shot!!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

BTW, have also found the files another RealAir spitfire paint for "RR232" I did about a year back. Can upload if any are interested.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by avi8tor4321 View Post
    I've actually done a quick "fix" for the default RN201 to make it represent the real example in 2018 too. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to upload it though as it's not entirely my own work?
    This has always been a very complicated subject. As we are an international forum, law concerning copyright or how copyright can be claimed might be different. And next to that we often have a personal opinion thoughts on this topic.

My personal experience is that most developers don't have a problem with using parts of their original textures. And in general when you ask permission you will automatically receive it. In the case of RealAir that might a bit more complicated as they went out of business.

In repaints often parts of the original paint work is included. Only rarely textures like the pilot, tires, wheel wells, inside of the flaps, etc. are redone in a repaint.

I do not say this is just, or allowed in general, but I have nether seen a developer making an issue about partly using their original textures. Especially when you give them credits for the base of the repaint. (Its of course a good thing to give credits to those who contributed in general).

As an alternative you could set up an dropbox or something similar. You can invite those who are interested to send you a PM and provide a link to the repaint. This will help you to avoid public upload.

Cheers,
    Huub

Oh and I surely would be interested like I am in the 'RR232'

Yes, I'm very interested in your repaint of RR232 as well! Like PL344, it's another on my list of restored Mk.IX's that I've been hopeful to see done for the RealAir Spitfire. I would love to see what someone like yourself could do in depicting those such as MJ730, MK959, and TE294 as well (a few more personal favorites). The new/current desert scheme on the BBMF Mk.IX MK356 is really stunning as well.

I'm very grateful for every repaint you've uploaded, thank you!

BTW, have also found the files another RealAir spitfire paint for "RR232" I did about a year back. Can upload if any are interested.

Cheers
    Very much interested, thank you Sir.

More modern warbirdsMore modern warbirds

Agreed! More modern warbirds

The BBMFs Mk XIXs would be ok on the RealAir Mk XIV too....I'd love to see a paint of PS915 in its current silver scheme, and as mentioned, MK356 looks good too.

Thank all so much much for the words of encouragement, feels good to have these paints enjoyed.
    Re: copyright issues for RN201 paint- maybe it's just better to upload it, give credit where it's due then ask for forgiveness later if required!?

RR232's now in the library, along with this new one; TD314.

Liking all the repaint ideas too thanks, will definitely look into it when I have time.

Also I have just uploaded my paint of "Miss Velma" to the library. It was intended for the WOP3/ Accu-sim civilian version, but I see no reason it should not work for the military one too.

More great repaints, reminded me of some Spits that I had forgotten about.

I have to say that apart from beautiful repaints, you also make great screenshots!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

These are really super; absolutely first rate! I especially like your treatment of MH434.

if i could make a suggestion for a future repaint of a Spitfire that is - or was - quite well known here in Canada and the US - actor Cliff Robertson's Mk.IX MK923 (5J*Z/N512R).

The aircraft is a WW2 combat veteran with two kills (Bf-109's) to its credit and had been initially test flown by the legendary Alex Henshaw at Castle Bromwich. It served in combat operations in the Dutch Air Force in the then Dutch East Indies in the postwar years and then in the Belgian Air Force. In the 1960's it went on to appear in the movie "The Longest Day". After its movie stint it was bought by Robertson and shipped to the States where it went on to make numerous appearances at literally dozens of airshows all over North America, being flown there most often by veteran RCAF Spitfire pilot Jerry Billing (who had served in the Battle of Malta, flew more that 250 combat sorties in Spits, and remained current on Spitfires for some 52-1/2 years..

I can't tell you how many times I saw Jerry perform with the Spitfire over a period of several years from the early 1970's to the mid-1990's at airshows from Ontario to Prince Edward Island. I finally had the privilege to meet Jerry on the day that the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum's Avro Lancaster had its first post restoration test flight. He was a terrific chap, very easy to talk to.

The paint scheme for MK923/5J*Z was unique but not unusual for many warbirds of the 1970's and 80's; of high quality but not necessarily spot-on accurate. While MK923 had the standard RAF camouflage scheme of Dark Green and Ocean Grey, its underneath was a distinct light blue similar to that seen on WW2-era Soviet fighters. It sported a bright yellow prop spinner and the squadron ID codes were done in white. To finish it off, the aircraft was given a gloss or semi-gloss top coat instead of the usual matte finish seen today (Robert Swaddling has a superb article on Hyperscale about building up the Tamiya 1/32 scale Spitfire Mk.IX as MK923 and discusses the paint scheme in depth. Mr. Swaddling was a member of the airplan's maintenance team).

Both Cliff Robertson and Jerry Billing are gone now, and MK923 resides permanently at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, Washington. For those of us old enough to remember her and the magnificent way Jerry used to show her off, I can only say she was a stunning example of the beauty that is the Spitfire.

Jerry Billing - at left - with Spitfire MK923

N
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spitfire-mk923-07-800x.jpg  

I forgot to mention that there is an excellent biography of Jerry Billing that tells of his flying career in the military and with MK923. It's available through Amazon or his son, Erik. I can provide anyone interested with Erik's e-mail address. Fell free to PM me...

N.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails images.jpg  

Thanks again everyone.
    In fact I've actually done MK923 a while ago. Have uploaded to the library now. Enjoy!

Seriously, what other repaints you hidding ? :-D

Thanks again everyone.
    In fact I've actually done MK923 a while ago. Have uploaded to the library now. Enjoy!

Fantastic! Thank you VERY much!

N.

You're very welcome ThinkingManNeil.
    Yeah there's a few more paints I've got hanging about, though I'll need to update and tidy them up a little before they're ready for uploading.
    Like a lot of you have been saying, modern warbirds seem definitely more fitting for the "modern" feel of FSX/P3D. The older, rusty and worn paints seemed more appropriate in the IL2 games etc...

Anyway, a few more screenshots of the repaints!

A phenomenal collection of repaints...

Members who have read this thread: 1