DX11 Demo

Thread: DX11 Demo

DX11 Demo

If anyone is interested: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvmtwF9vPtwVgZJcS32WpaLYxBkkYQ

Requires fully updated Win7 at least.
    Ignores d3d8.ini and TextureMagic.ini, but uses the same "fake driver version" as DX9 shaders - this way you can simply replace the dll without re-running the config.
    CFS3Config sometimes doesn't start saying something about "no DirectX 8 card detected", just try again (maybe several times).
    Make sure to select a resolution matching your desktop size in CFS3Config - "default resolution" doesn't work and other resolutions will show misaligned menus.
    Antialiasing settings have no effect - it is always enabled (using Temporal Antialiasing instead of multisampling).
    There are a ton of issues and missing features, even relative to the original DX8 - no clouds, no fog, no dynamic lights. No need to report anything
    I made some good progress in volumetric clouds, but they are not enabled in this build.

The reason I post it in this state is because I'm tired and I'm not really sure I'm going to complete this project.
    Whatever I can do is still ages behind the look of modern engines and CFS3 age is really getting in the way.
    There's just not much reason to continue - DX9 shaders look "good enough" and as you can see WOFF/WOTR doesn't even make full use of DX9 features like normal and specular maps.
    And finally I just want to do something new. It has been almost 5 years since I made the first DX9 wrapper for WOFF.

So if I understand you correctly, no advantage to using DX11 if it doesn't support, or have, all your great work enabled?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

The version I linked in the first post has some features which aren't present in DX9 shaders - new antialiasing, improved z-buffer precision, improved particles, high dynamic range lighting, improved text rendering. However everything there is work in progress, has bugs and lacks many vital features, and thus it is not usable for actual gameplay. It is just a tech demo.

If I wanted to re-implement all my DX9 effects in DX11 way it would have been done already, but it is not interesting.

DX11? oh, no way... the reason to (still) bother with DX8/DX9 could be gMotor2 ISI engine (GTL, GTR2, RACE, rFactor...). people would kill for the possibility to have at least one thing there from the CFS3 Ankor Shaders, the dynamic 3d shadows

hows the FS9 or CFS2, would work the DX8/DX9 Ankor Shaders addapted there?

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by AnKor View Post

If I wanted to re-implement all my DX9 effects in DX11 way it would have been done already, but it is not interesting.
    hi Ankor, in terms of my solitary vote, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your work and what you have achieved to refresh CFS3. If you need to change direction that is entirely understandable.

On my widescreen WQHD monitor, the World in CFS3 according to Ankor looks fantastic, especially the aircraft. Scenery models are often a bit numpty but perhaps WOTR will fix that.

From a purely selfish POV, I would like to chain you to a desk and force you to implement a DX11 version of your incredible achievement

Always glad to try a new offering from you. The volumetric clouds sound wonderful, the 2d ones we have are the last real eyesore left in my mind, and no grass. It's a pity OBD hasn't implemented the normal maps and speculars, we're loving them over here! It sounds like some 3rd party people may add it to WOTR though, which would be good. Even the DX9 I'd say you're giving Cliffs of Dover a run for its money.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    As a IL-2 fan CLoD is my least favorite in the series. Game play is awful but the graphics are good. Mainly play IL-2 '46 BAT and VP modpack. The graphics are good and the game play is great. The new BoX series are fantastic in graphics and the sim plays well ,just not as good as '46 and IL-2 '46 has been and continues to be modded far beyond what i thought was possible. BAT is now over 70 gigs large and continues to grow in size and scope. Love the new B-52 !!CFS3 has come a long way and hope it continues. Still love this sim after all these years ,just wish there were more Russian and Japanese aircraft to choose from. That is what got me into IL-2 to begin with. Staying with DX9 as it does all i want for now and haven't dived into the new BoX series yet.Excited about the new WOTR and all it will bring to CFS3 ! Will be getting it soon as they come out with a few more aircraft to fly. Looks promising and am glad they are sticking with DX9. Regards ,Scott Sorry to get a bit off subject !

Tried installing in my stock install, but the game will not load at all with the DX11 files in place. No splash screens or anything. Pulling up the task manager, it looks like the cfs3.exe process appears for a fraction of a second before disappearing. The config utility has the same behavior. Still running Windows 7 here.

gecko, I will check if I accidentally left any dev stuff or did something else that could have broken it.

@all,
    Thanks guys. I'm happy that you are enjoying what I did.
    It is unlikely that the same can be done for other games without rewriting 90% of my code.

I have re-uploaded the archive (same link, same file name) with corrected Win7 support.

Tried again, but still got the same result. CFS3 does not open at all. Are there any config settings to avoid? Could my DX11 be broken somehow?

Members who have read this thread: 0