NVIDIA Driver Update Heads Up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Driver Update Heads Up

Blog Entries

NVIDIA Driver Update Heads Up

I usually update my NVIDIA drivers as they come available. I updated to the most current on the GTX 1080 TI yesterday and FPS crashed by 60%. I rolled back the driver to my previous install and FPS recovered.

This is the second driver update that borked performance. Not sure why, but it is noteworty.

Note:
    I'm working on a squeaky clean install following a DOD level triple scrub of both spinning drives, new OS install of latest Win10 Enterprise and complete re-install of all software, simulators and add-ons. Hardware drivers were all updated and current. The system has been working at optimum levels prior to the last two NVIDIA updates.

OS is operating on the cleaned 2TB spinner, storage on the cleaned 5TB spinner and sim (current Prepar3Dv4) on the SSD.

I'd be interested to see if others are having similar results.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Thanks a lot for the warning, Gman !
    Do you happen to remember what was the problematic driver version number exactly ? I think my Windows Update will also update my video drivers without asking me, but it has never been a problem until now...

One more question: when the problematic drivers got installed, did you delete your shaders before relaunching your sim ?
    It happened to me in the past (years ago) that a new drivers was behaving quite badly, but after re-checking the P3D profile in the NVidia Control Panel and deleting the shaders, the sim started performing well again...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Thanks a lot for the warning, Gman !
    Do you happen to remember what was the problematic driver version number exactly ? I think my Windows Update will also update my video drivers without asking me, but it has never been a problem until now...

One more question: when the problematic drivers got installed, did you delete your shaders before relaunching your sim ?
    It happened to me in the past (years ago) that a new drivers was behaving quite badly, but after re-checking the P3D profile in the NVidia Control Panel and deleting the shaders, the sim started performing well again...
    The version that I installed, which killed FPS was 411.70.

The previous driver update completely broke things, so I rolled that one back as well. Currently I'm running 24.21.13.9907 (8/21/2018), which was current when I re-installed the NVIDIA drivers from my install disk, then immediately updated...two weeks ago.

I didn't run through the shaders Daube. I'm running REX Sky Force, so that would require a bunch of work. Rolling back the driver was the "go to" fix.

I spent the last 14 days or so meticulously stacking all of my programs back into the new build and lacing everything back together, so I didn't want to mess about with removing the shaders that worked fine prior to the driver update.

It would be interesting to see if it is related to shaders.

Right now I'm doing a long test flight over mixed sceneries to get a look at performance consistency. At the moment I'm solid at my previous levels of 60 -100 FPS at altitude over my KBIH HD Eastern Sierra Regional Scenery, MegaSceneryEarth Central California and ORBX NA So Cal/KSAN San Diego. Sliders are all at my usual stable settings that I use for video work and general flying.

Last edited by gman5250; September 30th, 2018 at 03:23.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

im not observing any performance problems with these drivers (in p3dv4)

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    The version that I installed, which killed FPS was 411.70.

The previous driver update completely broke things, so I rolled that one back as well.
    The 411.70's and the previous set (411.63) caused my sim (P3Dv4.3) a serious hitch in its giddy-up. What had been smooth with previous drivers (up to 397.64... didn't try any of the 39x after those) became a stutterfest with both sets of the 411's. Also, I'm done with nVidia's packaged bloatware... will roll my own with just the drivers (don't have any use for the Experience or Telemetry Service or HD Audio etc.).

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Some time ago I found that an nVidia driver update severely messed up my FS installations. I rolled back to the previous one and ever since then I have refused all further nVidia updates.

The driver updates are to adapt the video card to the latest games. Unless you are into the latest games, there's no advantage to the updated driver. And as we've seen, the updated versions might no longer support older programs like FS9 or FSX. I suspect that most FS users, at least those that hang out at SOH, are FS hobbyists who spend their hobby time on FS and don't have much time for other games. If that's how you are too, just forget about driver updates. If you do like to run the latest games, I don't know what you can do.

If Windows updates your drivers without asking, you must have it set not to ask. Just change your update settings so it will ask first. Then each time you run Windows Update (or when you respond to the prompt that updates are available) it will show you a list of the available updates. If an nVidia driver update is on the list, leave it unchecked and tell Windows Update to hide this update (with a right click on it, if I remember correctly). That way it won't keep appearing on the list.

If you don't klnow how to do that, here's how. Open Windows Update. Click on Change Settings. On the drop-down menu under Important Updates, select Check for updates but allow me to choose whether to download and install... Then below that, for Recommended Updates, check the box for Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates. At least that's how it works in Win7pro. Later windows versions might have minor differences in the process.

Now you will be able to select the updates you want instead of blindly accepting whatever some geek at Microsoft thinks you should want.

Just finished the install of 411.70, left the Nvidia settings to default and started P3D v4.3. I find the FPS about the same on my GTX 1070 Nvidia card. Running the Orbx Redding Benton scenery with default aircraft. I have the FPS locked at 30. The FPS shuffle between 20 and 29 consistently. My P3D v4.3 setting are all set to the highest.

No doubt the type of setup each of us has will make a huge difference as to what one experiences with FPS.

I am leaving the 411.70 version in place. Now to tweek the Nvidia setting and see what happens.

My .02 cents.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

The 411 driver is necessary for incoming 2080Ti .

btw. didnt notice any problem on 1080Ti, FPS are the same as it was, but I installed ONLY drivers, all rest tools are unnecessary for me.
    You can turn off nVidia Ansel also: https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...isable-ansel-/.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    The 411 driver is necessary for incoming 2080Ti .

btw. didnt notice any problem on 1080Ti, FPS are the same as it was, but I installed ONLY drivers, all rest tools are unnecessary for me.
    You can turn off nVidia Ansel also: https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...isable-ansel-/.

I'm kind of between a rock and hard place. I find Shadowplay video capture to be much superior to anything I've tried in the past. 60FPS @ 4K
    Unfortunately, the INVADIA overburden of useless junk is like the noisy neighbor next door. It's always there, even when I don't need the screen recorder.

I'd love to dump the entire suite, but good video is still a priority...so I tolerate the rest.
    Thomas Jefferson

but good video is still a priority...so I tolerate the rest.
    You can try (if You want) OBS64: https://obsproject.com/ (I use it from long time ago, many options, less impact and its free).
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I have the GTX Titan card, and just got the Nvidia up date for it like a month ago. Why are they updating so close together lately?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    You can try (if You want) OBS64: https://obsproject.com/ (I use it from long time ago, many options, less impact and its free).
    Thanks YoYo, I'll definitely look at it.
    Thomas Jefferson

My two cents - I have hardly ever updated my Nvidia drivers and often have used the ones they shipped with until I get a new fx card. Don't see how they can "wear out" over time like a lawn mower engine. If they aren't broke . .
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    My two cents - I have hardly ever updated my Nvidia drivers and often have used the ones they shipped with until I get a new fx card. Don't see how they can "wear out" over time like a lawn mower engine. If they aren't broke . .
    I agree. Especially when they release a new range of cards, beware of their drivers when you've got an "older" card...

I'm still running the 397 drivers, and am fairly happy with them.

just my two cents worth.

Priller

Blog Entries
    I'm going to assume that with the release of the RTX series cards there will be a new class of drivers dedicated to this new class of card?
    Regardless, I'm going to sit on the driver set currently installed and figure out other ways to bork my system!
    Thomas Jefferson

My Dime.FSX came Out in 2006,some 12 years ago.many do Not Have a Car For 12 year..The Tech 12 yrs Ago no where what it is today...FSX never conceived in Today's tech Therefore ,i think It could Never Respond To a Tech It Does not Have..FSX DO NOT HAVE THE BRAIN to respond to High Tech of today... Today Games Require Different drivers ....I Tend To stay with Period Drivers..My Limited experience with SUPER GAME CARDS and SUPER DRIVERS really Do Not show That real dramatic Performance..Expected!.Good For Bragging Rights ,Big money.its simply 2006 tech ITS OLD ..FSX is now maxed out with performance... and cannot reinvent its self From 12 years ago

I'm going to assume that with the release of the RTX series cards there will be a new class of drivers dedicated to this new class of card?
    Regardless, I'm going to sit on the driver set currently installed and figure out other ways to bork my system!
    Gordon,

What you say is of course what should be done. Past experience however indicates that they will release drivers optimised for the newer cards and forget about the older cards altogether.

Pretty standard practice in the IT business. Disgusting, but I think that is their business model.

Priller
    Last edited by Priller; October 1st, 2018 at 09:51. Reason: silly mistake

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Gordon,

What you say is of course what should be done. Past experience however indicates that they will release drivers optimised for the newer cards and forget about the older cards altogether.

Pretty standard practice in the IT business. Disgusting, but I think that is their business model.

Priller
    Rats....you hit a nerve.

Rant Allert!!

You mean like the gigabytes of worthless data I still have on Zip drive,
    Or the $13,000.00 Roland Printer/Signlab package (now in closet) I bought in '98 that will only run on Win98/NT parallel port, "dongle" decryption?
    Or the worthless $5,000 Production CD burner/labeler I bought in 2000 that won't print DVD's?
    Or my $1,000,000.00 Xeikon 5 Station Digital Press/Zund plotter that became junk one year after the specialized toners went out of production????

Been there...done that...

Yeah...and now my Rock Crusher GTX 1080 TI will be coerced into running on a hybrid RTX driver?

On the bright side...I can still get replacement keys for my 2001 Yamaha Motif 8...which BTW, still kicks ice.
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm kind of between a rock and hard place. I find Shadowplay video capture to be much superior to anything I've tried in the past. 60FPS @ 4K
    Unfortunately, the INVADIA overburden of useless junk is like the noisy neighbor next door. It's always there, even when I don't need the screen recorder.

I'd love to dump the entire suite, but good video is still a priority...so I tolerate the rest.
    Just roll your own! NVSlimmer is very easy to use... simply download the driver package you wish to use from nVidia's website , load it into NVSlimmer, check/uncheck whatever features you want/don't want, click on "Apply" (it will strip away all features from the OEM driver package you DID NOT check), then click "Repackage". That final stage will create 7z SFX executable that will install your drivers. and only the add-ons from nVidia you want!

NVSlimmer here: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/nvslimmer.html

It's easy... and kinda fun! Not to mention great for keeping the junk from your system.

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Rats....you hit a nerve.

Rant Allert!!

You mean like the gigabytes of worthless data I still have on Zip drive,
    Or the $13,000.00 Roland Printer/Signlab package (now in closet) I bought in '98 that will only run on Win98/NT parallel port, "dongle" decryption?
    Or the worthless $5,000 Production CD burner/labeler I bought in 2000 that won't print DVD's?
    Or my $1,000,000.00 Xeikon 5 Station Digital Press/Zund plotter that became junk one year after the specialized toners went out of production????

Been there...done that...

Yeah...and now my Rock Crusher GTX 1080 TI will be coerced into running on a hybrid RTX driver?

On the bright side...I can still get replacement keys for my 2001 Yamaha Motif 8...which BTW, still kicks ice.
    Mate,

Your Rock Crusher GTX 1080 TI will be one of the top cards for quite a bit of time.

IMHO the best thing to do would be to roll back to the previous drivers and see what they come up with for the next drivers.

That is of course just MHO...

Sorry to have hit that nerve mate. We can always take this up through email or skype, so you can really let go!!

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    I am of a similar opinion. I use the drivers that come with my card or perhaps drivers a few versions newer, if there was a known issue with the original drivers or the older drivers were found to be restricting the performance of the card. Nvidia's claims of faster performance with each new driver are usually with new games, not with an old flight simulator such as FSX.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Once again there was opened a new highway with almost no speed limit. Unfortunately my old car called Fsx can't speed up more than 70 mph.

Never had an NVIDIA driver problem so far.
    Currently my ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC reduce rocks into dust.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by PHo17 View Post
    Once again there was opened a new highway with almost no speed limit. Unfortunately my old car called Fsx can't speed up more than 70 mph.

So true. FSX is just old technology. Whatever rock disintegrating GFX card you have, performance will always be horrible (32 bit).

Priller

Just updated my GTX1070 with the new 411.70 drivers for troubleshooting in P3D. No noticeable change.

Members who have read this thread: 0