Left and right moving center Gear animation in CFS2

Thread: Left and right moving center Gear animation in CFS2

Left and right moving center Gear animation in CFS2

For a request about the center gear animation
    The tail Wheel (or Center Gear) moves left or right when the aircraft turns and is on ground, but in the air the center gear is fixed, for CFS2 I use two “rudder” parts for moving left or right they will move together and the tailwheel angle is dabbled. To stop this movement you have to turn one “rudder” element 180° so the Rudder’s work against each other. Therefore I use 2 c_gear, one that turns the second rudder around 180° to the other rudder and a second c_gear that keeps the lower tail wheel part at place while turning also 180°. Hu this is hard to explain for a not native English speaking person . I think an example very simple aircraft will help, the yellow and orange triangles are the two “rudder” parts, the green and blue triangles are c_gear part’s that move the rudder and the lower center gear part back into position. I also added a FSDS2 file with the full animation.
    wolfi

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Center Gear Down.jpg   Center Gear Up.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

Icon5

Hi Wolfi From my understanding.... you'd like the centre wheel to disabled from rudder when in flight??? If that's the case can you .... make it so it's disabled when landing gear is up??? Cheers mav

Threemore pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Center Gear Ani Frame 00.jpg   Center Gear Ani Frame 10.jpg   Center Gear Ani Frame 11.jpg  

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

Quote Originally Posted by mav View Post
    Hi Wolfi From my understanding.... you'd like the centre wheel to disabled from rudder when in flight??? If that's the case can you .... make it so it's disabled when landing gear is up??? Cheers mav
    Yes, you are right

wolfi

So... is it possible to also add l_gear keyframe to disable rudder when up???

Dose FSDS2 have c_wheelwell like gMax? Objects c_wheelwell disappear when gear is retracted. Also I'm not sure that this works in CFS2 as this is found in the FS2002 gMax docs...
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

which animation You use doesn't mater but it must be a Keyframe animation, if you like to lock / unlock the center gear manually you can use the "concord_nose" keyframes or "tailhook" if not used

sorry but I don't know how it works in G-max, I was to lazy to learn it

Don't think he wants it to disappear.

Would make sense to use l_gear keyframe to center the wheel when flight automatically...with a centered rotation table.... if that makes sense?

it doesn't mater which gear animation you use, it only maters which animation frame you use, for this example I use frame 10 as locked, and Frame 11 as unlocked, in FSDS2 you start with landing gear up, so if I make a aircraft I will normally use frame 99 and Frame 100. As I said it before you can use all keyframe animations like wingfold, canopy, tailhook, r_gear, l_gear,c_gear...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi View Post
    sorry but I don't know how it works in G-max, I was to lazy to learn it
    That's fine but gMax and FSDS2 have to code to CFS2. So I was thinking both may have a key that work the same way.

I looking at the FSDS2 VarTable I see c_wheel is listed and has FLOAT32 so I'm guessing this is user animated just like with gMax. If I remember right c_wheel will lock at neutral when the gear is up in CFS2.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

c_wheel is not a key frame animation, to animate the "center landing gear" you must use "c_gear" and it doesn't automatically rotate like the rudder, so I added the rudder function to the c_gear, if there is an option to rotate the center gear I missed it.

OK, I just saw, you can toggle the visibility in the Pre process window, like landing gear down (visible) and landing gear up (invisible), that would work when the landing gear is fully covered in fight

Icon26

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi View Post
    OK, I just saw, you can toggle the visibility in the Pre process window, like landing gear down (visible) and landing gear up (invisible), that would work when the landing gear is fully covered in fight
    That's correct

Icon5

Hi Wolfi,
    Ahh I see now, yes you can use c_wheel WITH c_gear, and you make the castoring/swivel limit in the aircraft.cfg file. Or you can make it free castoring and use the lock/unlock command.

I was getting confused why you would want to go about it in that complicated way..ha ha!

Cheers

Shessi

Never mind.... Shessi changed answer...

Sometimes things are too simple!

Oh my god,

I worked so much years with FSDS2 and I completely missed that! -I compared c_wheel and c_tire
    wolfi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Hi Wolfi,
    Ahh I see now, yes you can use c_wheel WITH c_gear, and you make the castoring/swivel limit in the aircraft.cfg file. Or you can make it free castoring and use the lock/unlock command.

I was getting confused why you would want to go about it in that complicated way..ha ha!

Cheers

Shessi

Ha ha ha...entschuldigung Wolfi, ein Hauch von Schadenfreude......

No worry as it hasn't stopped you making some superb models!

Shessi

Vielen Dank...

A very helpful thread. Thanks for this!

Paul

Members who have read this thread: 0