Boeing Wins T-X Competition!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boeing Wins T-X Competition!

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Now that is one pretty airplane!

Priller

Wow! Beautiful indeed. Looks like a cross between an Starfighter and a Raptor love child. Will love seeing someone make this for simulation, payware or otherwise.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

That's who I was hoping would win! I can't wait to see it in aggressor colors; they, the USAF, plans on using some of them as aggressor aircraft. Also, don't forget the Swedes will also be flying these as they helped design and build it.

I always liked the T-X. It sort of reminds me of a T-38, F/A-18, and F-16 mashed together.

beef up the gear and throw a tailhook under there and the Navy might like it too..
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Just an FYI, for anyone who doesn't already know, the landing gear is from an F-16. JIC you thought it looked familiar.

I like this bird.... nice lines!
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Sweet! Who's started modeling this?

So glad that this one won.

Though it would have been amusing if the Leonardo, basically a variant of the YAK-130, had won, for obvious reasons.

Lobbying scores again.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Note this is not only Boeing, SAAB plays also major part in this design (psssttt don't tell the big bosssssss).

Marcel

...actually SAAB designed (and manufactured) almost half of the aircraft.
    Anyway, I thought about making a T-X for FSX/P3D, but drawings and information are still scarce.

The selection of the Boeing-SAAB design was not a big surprire IMHO: I thought that the Lockheed Martin was a better, less risky and potentially cheaper proposal but Lockmart has to deliver the F-35 and I guess that considerations about industrial plans, work share and occupation had a part in the decision.
    The Leonardo T-100 has never been a serious contender: although it seems a great trainer, the twin engines made it much more expensive than competitors - which seems to be one of the reasons why Raytheon abandoned the project...leaving Leonardo (a non-american company) to bid on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    Wow! Beautiful indeed. Looks like a cross between an Starfighter and a Raptor love child. Will love seeing someone make this for simulation, payware or otherwise.
    It's definitely a love child . I was thinking Alpha Jet and Hornet.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    It's definitely a love child . I was thinking Alpha Jet and Hornet.
    I was thinking T-38 and Hornet!

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Twin tail with a single engine...urgh!
    I think its to reduce radar signature, the F-35 is the same.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Lobbying scores again.
    Clear and simple. The outcome was written long long ago. I predict another KC-46.
    Luca

Can't say I'd been following the competition too closely, though I did have my money on the KAI/Lockheed T-50 given that it is still largely of US origin, has comparable performance and an established track record.
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

For the record, I invested some money on a commercial mesh and had a close look at all the cockpit videos and photos... there is not enough material to create a reasonable simulation, but there is enough to start a project...and hopefully we will have more details on the MFD and other stuff soon enough... will post some screens once I have it the sim!

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Very cool, Dino. I would happily buy a "best guess" approximation of the prototype with an eventual upgrade to the production version, if you went that route.

Here's a cool shot showing the relative size compared to a T-38.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zMG_1367.jpg  

I wonder if this plane will end up being the T-54 (next in line) or T-7 (since the T-6 was out of numeric order) or something random (like the F-35 due to a screwup at a Pentagon press conference).

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    I think its to reduce radar signature, the F-35 is the same.
    I would think it's to keep the tailplane surfaces outside the 'shadow' of that big twin cabin cockpit [and high mount wing] on high angle approaches/landings...

@0000rick0000

That was precisely the one I purchased... it is very well done externally, but needed a massive polygon reduction to be practically usable in our simulations. Also textures are way too high in resolution, and some need to be redone and many details are untextured....and then the interiors are very basic and imprecise. So it requires some more work than I thought to look decent in the sim, but looks promising after the first tests. On the good side there are already several cockpit videos so modeling the interiors is definitely doable and does not seem particularly difficuly. The big unknown at the moment is still the MFD: some pages of the MFDs are well shown in the (short) cockpit interface video released by Boeing some weeks ago... but some important information are still missing.
    Anyway, given my love for jet trainers it seems a good "long term" project to do in small bits...

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cattaneo View Post
    @0000rick0000

That was precisely the one I purchased... it is very well done externally, but needed a massive polygon reduction to be practically usable in our simulations. Also textures are way too high in resolution, and some need to be redone and many details are untextured....and then the interiors are very basic and imprecise. So it requires some more work than I thought to look decent in the sim, but looks promising after the first tests. On the good side there are already several cockpit videos so modeling the interiors is definitely doable and does not seem particularly difficuly. The big unknown at the moment is still the MFD: some pages of the MFDs are well shown in the (short) cockpit interface video released by Boeing some weeks ago... but some important information are still missing.
    Anyway, given my love for jet trainers it seems a good "long term" project to do in small bits...
    I am FULLY supportive of this effort Dino, with the expectation - that there is NO EXPECTATION! Very cool man. This would be a really neat airplane. Especially considering the eventual roles outside of trainer that it will likely play - such as replacement aggressor for the USAF, and probably Navy too, since they fly the F-5N.

With PBR textures, this aircraft could actually look just like this in the sim eventually. Especially with self reflective properties enabled.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Members who have read this thread: 0