Tupolev TU-70

Thread: Tupolev TU-70

Members +

Tupolev TU-70

We all know the story of the Russians cloning B-29's to manufacture the identical (mostly) TU-4.
    What is probably less known is that they also made the Tupolev Tu-70 (NATO reporting name: Cart) , a Soviet passenger variant of the Tu-4 bomber (which was a reverse-engineered copy of the American-made Boeing B-29 Superfortress) designed immediately after the end of World War II. It used a number of components from Boeing B-29s that had made emergency landings in the Soviet Union after running out of fuel after bombing Japan.
    It had the first pressurized fuselage in the Soviet Union and first flew on 27 November 1946. Yes, the TU-70 did have a modified nose.

This could be a great add-on for FS2004, in Russian or fictional USA paint.

Many takers to make one?
    Shessi?

Blog Entries
    I would certainly like to see a Tu-70 for FS9.
    Yosef Čepek (Pepekcepek) has been working on an exciting Tu-85 project. I am not sure of it's current status.

Video;
    http://www.avsim.su/f/raznoe-video-9...ion=viewonline

Yosef's site;
    https://dcn44dt-okb-eee.webnode.cz/

Members +
    Phew, Russian speak is not my best, But I'm looking forward to it, or anything similar.

Some of the parts of the intenred US B-29's were used in the manufacture of the Tu-70! I have always thought that was an irony all to itself....

Also the Soviets didn't have the industrial base at the time to produce the wheels and tires for the Tu-4 bombers, so they had agents actually purchase them in the US by going to scrapyards where the B-29s were being turn down!!!!
    "Thats some of the best flying I have ever seen, upto the point that your dead, Never ever leave your wingman!"......Jester, Top Gun

Members +
    It is a great story, & there is a documentary on Youtube.

Members +
    I really enjoy the 'unusual' planes, hence my query for the TU-70 (or Tu-80 & Tu-85), & I have also found interesting planes at https://www.avsimrus.com/f/fs2004-aircrafts-40/
    Such as the Myasishev M-55 & the M-17

Interesting stuff about these aircraft: (from Wikipedia)
    M-17 Stratosphera[edit]

The design of the Chaika was adapted as a reconnaissance aircraft and emerged as the Myasishchev M-17 Stratosphera with a revised airframe, including straight tapered wings with 2° 30' anhedral (0° at 1g), shorter fuselage pod and unreheated Kolesov RD-36-51 turbojet engine. Flown for the first time on 26 May 1982, the M-17 prototype (regn CCCP 17401) was soon allocated the NATO reporting name Mystic-A[2] and was used for investigating the Ozone layer over Antarctica in 1992.The M-17 also set a total of 12 FAI world records, 5 of which still stand.[4] On 28 March 1990, M-17 CCCP 17401 piloted by Vladimir V. Arkhipenko[5] set an altitude record of 21,830 m (71,620 ft) in class C-1i (Landplanes: take-off weight 16 000 to 20 000 kg).[6]
    M-55 Geophysica[edit]

The M-17 balloon-interceptor-based model was terminated in 1987 and replaced by the M-17RN, later known as the M-55 Geophysica, which was dubbed by NATO Mystic-B.[2] First flown on 16 Aug 1988, the M-55 airframe was revised further with a longer fuselage pod, housing two Soloviev D-30-10V un-reheated turbofan engines, shorter-span wings and comprehensive sensor payload.The M-55 set a total of 15 FAI world records, all of which still stand today:[7] On 21 September 1993, an M-55 piloted by Victor Vasenkov from the 8th State R&D Institute of the Air Force named after V. P. Chkalov at Akhtubinsk reached a class record altitude of 21,360 m (70,080 ft) in class C-1j (Landplanes: take-off weight 20,000 to 25,000 kg (44,000 to 55,000 lb)).[8]A dual-control version, the M-55UTS, was developed by adding a second cockpit behind the original, displacing some avionics and/or sensor payload.[1]A number of M-55 Geophysica remain in service, performing in research roles; one M-55 took part in a study of the Arctic stratosphere in 1996–1997,[2] with similar experiments performed in Antarctica during 1999.[9]An Irish-headquartered company Qucomhaps, with a focus on South East Asia, has entered a 1-billion USD deal to use the M-55 as a high-altitude platform station for digital communications.[10]

It's also great to know that FS2004 IS still supported, with new add-ons still being released!
    Not too bad for a 15 year old sim!

of course they were only doing atmospheric research

Ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 0