Hardware for P3D

Thread: Hardware for P3D

Hardware for P3D

Hi!

This is more of a hardware question but related to P3D.

My old rig won´t start anymore. I have had symptoms with it before which makes me believe it is time to move on. It is always hard process, my wallet hates it and there is so much of installing and tuning ahead.. But anyhow, I would love to read your comments on hardware. My budget is limited (as it is always) but would like to have system that would be good enough to run the P3D without problems without to many compromises. I use a lot of ORBX sceneries and would love to keep the details high up and I hate the blurries.

So, dear hard ware gurus: what processor and videocard I should consider? How much of memory should I have? What else should I keep in mind. This PC is not just for the Prepar3d, but it is a priority for me to make it run smooth. But not at any cost. Money is an issue also.

You'll find the system requirements here.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. Well, yes I know the minimum and recommended requirements. I am more interested to know which processor and videocards might be the best choices in todays markets.

Hard to give you a precise reply, sine:
    1- we don't know your budget
    2- some new hardware is appearing on the market

One thing easy to say though: P3D has the same needs as FSX. It wants a CPU with as much GHz as possible.
    For the amount of cores, 4 physical cores is already very good. I went for a i7 8700k recently. It can be overclocked (3,7 GHz per default) and the price is not too high.
    P3Dv4 is 64 bits. 16 Gb of RAM is a comfortable start.
    You want SSDs, not the ridiculous spinning things from the previous century.
    Concerning the video card, it will depend on how many screens you plan to use, or if you plan to use a VR helmet.
    The GeForce GTX 1070ti is very good for single screen.
    The GeForce GTX 1080 is not bad for multi-screen or current VR helmets.
    The new generation of GeForce, the RTX 2080, will most likely be needed for the next generation VR helmets (Pimax 5K+ or 8K), but the price is quite steep...

A word of caution.
    This will be very difficult but I'd suggest you hang off committing to any rash purchases at the moment.
    I gather there will be new cards and chips hitting the retailers around the end of this year or early next year.
    If you have budgetry restraints then maybe hold of until the inevitable sales of present generation kit appear in anticipation of newer and more expensive hardware arrives.
    Other than that the only hard and fast rules I'd be suggesting is to go with Intel and Nvidia.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Thank you, already this information helps me and might save me money. What a great community this is!

BTW. I was able to start my computer. This will give me some time to make up mind.

Members who have read this thread: 0