Best WWII Heavy Metal currently available

Thread: Best WWII Heavy Metal currently available

Best WWII Heavy Metal currently available

All,

As a fan of A2As wonderful Accusim B-17, I am missing it greatly in P3Dv4. Does anyone have an opinion about what WW II heavy bomber is currently available would be a “next best” alternative?

I am seriously considering the Aeroplane Heaven B-17...but really miss the “heavy” feel of the A2A bird. Also, from the screenshots I’ve seen, it appears that the AH B-17 does not have the ability to have highly reflective bare metal schemes.

Does anyone have experience with the AH B-17? If so, I’d welcome your feedback.

Kent

The Accusim B-17 is unmatched.
    That being said, if you need "good" heavy classic metal, I would have three main models in mind:
    - The AH B-17: it's not Accusim, but it looks good, and I read a few good critics of it when it came out, so it might be good to help you wait for a PD3v4 Accusim B-17
    - The Aerosoft Catalina, which is said to be very immersive and realistic, including engine behavior
    - The freeware B-50, by Manfred Jahn and his team, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the inputs. The good news is I have the Aerosoft Catalina...so I could roll that back out, and I LOVE Manfred’s B-50. I may just bite the bullet and get the AH B-17.

Kent

I have both B-17’s mentioned and am also patiently awaiting the release of the P3Dv4 version from A2A.
    Visually the AH version is very nice but doesn’t come close to the A2A Fortress as far as systems and flight model. She has been relegated to the hangar whilst I wait.

My recommendations in no particular order:

Aerosoft PBY Catalina.
    MJ C-47 (freeware but one of the best simulations bar none).
    Flight Replicas Halifax and DC-4/C-54 are nice but system modelling is minimal.
    PMDG DC-6.

The A2A WoP2 B-17 seems to port over to P3Dv4 ok, but I don't think there's any way to directly install, you'll have to copy and paste
    all the bits over. I haven't spent much time with it yet. Accusim seems to work ok, but I haven't checked all systems yet, like the load
    manager. I think other people here have reported that they've been able to successfully port it over.

In any case, it may be enough to tide you over until a proper P3Dv4 installer is released.

The only native P3Dv4 WWII heavy metal I know of is AH's recently released Lancaster. I don't have it yet, but it's definitely on my wish
    list, and while there's a few little niggles, it's been getting a lot of good comments.

Other FSX WWII heavy metal that seems to port over reasonably well to P3Dv4 not already mentioned above are all of Virtavia's planes,
    including the B-29, B-24, and even their old Heinkel HEIII, although that last one is definitely showing it's age (AH said they're is working
    on a new HEIII release).

-RobM

The AH/Justflight B-17 comes with the early and late model G's and and the F-10 model. It also has bare metal paints in the package.
    I have a few Coastal Command paints here in the library. If you look in the release thread there are a few pics of my personal
    ride that is a bare metal scheme.

Here is the thread: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ustflight+b-17

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

I forgot to mention the A2A Connie, military version did fly at the end of WW2.
    Nicely detailed with systems to manage and crew to assist.

personally, I do like the Halifax by Flight Replicas (new paint coming this weekend), and I haven't tried the Lancaster by Aeroplane Heaven yet, but that looks nice too.
    I also agree on the Catalina, I love that plane, and it is roughly the size of a B-17, although a bit slower.
    I did buy the AH B-17F, but was disappointed by that, especially visually, the A2A B-17 was much better overall. I do run the A2A in P3D4, although I usually switch off the accusim, to prevent problems.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Everyone— thanks for the tips/advice!

The good news is that I already own nearly every suggestion (exceptions: Halifax, AH B-17, AH Lancaster).

And Butcherbird/Joe, YOUR Coastal Command repaints are what got me to thinking about the AH B-17! Both are great looking.

I’m either going to a.) buy the AH B-17, or b.) I’m going to try and port the non-accusimed A2A B-17 into P3Dv4.

I’ll keep you all posted on what I do. Again, thank you for the suggestions!

Kent

Members who have read this thread: 0