New Gotha bombers series thread - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Gotha bombers series thread

Gotha G.V Bomber uploaded.

Hello Folks,
    The first of the Gotha G.V bomber trio is ready, and Iīve just uploaded it.
    It will be available as soon as it has been accepted by the library.

Here is the link. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=124&id=25654

Martin Klein has added new custom fuel gauges for the wing tank and main tanks, as well as another of his texture-gems, unit 670/16 in night livery with a golden snake on the fuselage side, so now there are 4 liveries available for the G.V:
    G.V 915/16 "Cassiopeia" in dark irregular night-lozenge pattern, with the constellation on the fuselage side.
    G.V 901/16 in irregular daytime lozenge pattern, at a time before the addition of "fuselage art".
    G.V 670/16 in white, with a green snake, a symbol frequently used on Gotha "G" aircraft, painted on the fuselage sides.
    G.V 670/16 in dark night-bomber irregular lozenge, with a golden snake painted on the fuselage sides.

I hope you enjoy it!
    Do Let me know if anything is amiss.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G.V Fuel Gauges.jpg   Screenshot Cassiopeia.jpg   Screenshot Day-lozenge.jpg   Screenshot-Dark-Snake1.jpg   Screenshot-Dark-Snake2.jpg   Screenshot-Snake.jpg  

CFS2 Gotha G.V Bomber 1917 - 4 liveries.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - World War I

Description: CFS2 Gotha G.V Grossflugzeug, 1917
    ----------------------------------
    German WW1 strategic bomber Built by the Gothaer Waggonfabrik A.G., with improvements over previous Gotha G.IV, with improved avionics, more aerodynamic engine nacelles and inboard fuel tanks for safety reasons, which blocked off the open walkway to the rear gunner-well behind the pilotīs cockpit.

It was powered by 2 high-compression, throttle gated, 6-cyl Mercedes D.IVa engines, altitude rated at 267 Hp at 1300 metres.

Maximum speed was 140 kph,and it could carry a bomb load of 500 kg.

Upgrade for CFS2, with several texture-mapping correction and 4 new historical liveries created by Martin Klein.

G.V 915/16 "Cassiopeia" in dark irregular night-lozenge pattern, with the constellation on the fuselage side.

G.V 901/16 in irregular daytime lozenge pattern, at a time before the addition of "fuselage art."

G.V 670/16 in white, with a green snake, a symbol frequently used on Gotha "G" aircraft, painted on the fuselage sides.

G.V 670/16 in dark night-bomber irregular lozenge, with a golden snake painted on the fuselage sides.

Thread related to the development of this model: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...euge?p=1191466

Custom photo-realistic panel by Kdriver, with authentic custom gauges by Martin Klein. Dp Files with help from Ravenna.

By Stephan Scholz.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS2 Gotha G.V Bomber 1917 - 4 liveries.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

The only way to fly from Flanders to London (and hopefully back again)

Fuel Management and Checklists.

Hello Folks,

I thought the fuel system worked automatically, so I didnīt mention any details on how it should be in the Gotha G.V.

Just in case it doesnīt for some of you, to make the fuel system work properly, do the following:

In Settings / Realism Settings, in the Stores section, enable Auto Fuel Management.

Then, in the Control Assignments, you can define the "į" key for auto transfer,
    the "ī" key to the left of it for fuel transfer aft, (these two are usually free) and
    the "L" key for fuel transfer forward (this key was for instrument lights).

When you are low on fuel you will see how the tank gauges respond to the keystrokes.

Additional Note: A slight bug: The Checklists wonīt show. Please Change the name of the checklist file from "KB_GothaG5_CHECK.txt" to "GothaG5_CHECK.txt". Sorry!

Soon to come, will be the Gotha G.Va and Gotha G.Vb!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    "Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

65 hits and 0 comments.......

Icon22 Reply...

Aleatorylamp,

Thank you for yet another beautiful bomber in this series!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Ravenna

An apt comment. I've gotten used to the small number of responses on everything I upload. Lots of views but little feedback or appreciation for the hours and sweat that goes into making something for the community seems to be the norm and it's frustrating.

C'mon guys, if you view it and especially if you download it, give the developer(s) some kudos in return.

This is a nice looking addition. Well done, fellas!
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Teamwork

Hello Rami,
    Thank you! Glad you like it! ...we do what we can.
    I must emphasize, however, that Martin Klein is really throwing his weight with his historically very well researched and beautifully created textures, i.e. the irregular lozenge patch patterns for the daylight and night-time liveries, and also the plain white livery. All these immensely enhance the models. Also, he created almost all of the custom authentic gauges used on the panel.
    Then, Kdriver made the authentic panel, adapting it from a b/w photograph, and Ravenna ironed out the Dp files which I was having so much trouble with. They are both the main test pilots as well!

Here are some evening screenshots of the G.V. on the way back from London.
    I took advantage of capturing all four liveries, as changing planes wonīt alter fuel-load.
    I was testing fuel-consumption from Gontrode to London and back, but I mistakenly flew at 1300 ft.
    Probably that didnīt do much for the range... so Iīll be lucky if I make it to the Belgian coast again.
    It seems that the best speed is around 5000 ft, as the Mercedes D.IVa were altitude-rated at 4265 ft. with 267 hp.

Well, now weīre finishing the other two, the G.Va and G.Vb.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gotha G.V - 1.jpg   Gotha G.V - 2.jpg   Gotha G.V - 3.jpg   Gotha G.V - 4.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; August 9th, 2019 at 10:24.

Thank you! Thank you!! Is it just me, or do others get an error 404 on the link in message 101 at the top of this page. The first link in message 102 also results in the same error, while the second link in message 102 works.

Also, it seems this download doesn't show in the Warbirds Library thread. Or is it my poor eyes?
    Matt

Thank you, sir, for a wonderful plane! I look forward to both flying her and shooting her down!

Very kind regards,

TW
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca1 View Post
    Thank you! Thank you!! Is it just me, or do others get an error 404 on the link in message 101 at the top of this page. The first link in message 102 also results in the same error, while the second link in message 102 works.

Also, it seems this download doesn't show in the Warbirds Library thread. Or is it my poor eyes?
    The message link does not work because admin moved the thread to consolidate it with the release announcement here. The Warbirds link does work, or you can go here to the actual address:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=124&id=25654
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

G.Va and G.Vb soon to be uploaded.

Hello Folks,

Thank you Capt. Kurt for clarifying the message link thing!
    Iīm glad you like the Gotha G.V, Typhoon Willy, and thanks for everyoneīs motivating comments.
    The Gotha G.V is to be found in the CFS2 Warbirds Library in the WW1 Aircraft section.

Iīve been a bit ill, and also very busy as the rest of our team, preparing a bomb-aimerīs panel for the Gotha G.V Series.
    Martin Klein and Kdriver have been of great assistance to me, and Ravenna has been busy testing and counselling.
    Martin set up the panel windows with buttons, and Iīve finally figured out how these windows work in CFS2.

The Bomb-aimerīs oblique down-view (outside, where the bombsight was in reality placed) includes the 3D outside view of
    fuselage-nose and wheels, and incorporates a calibrated scale with crosshairs for the different altitudes of a bombing run.

A vintage autopilot gauge (that Smilo of SOH CFS1 Forum let me have - Hello Smilo, thanks!), will do the work of your pilot,
    and in effect, functions in a very realistic way, like an engine telegraph, as if the bomber/commander were instructing the
    pilot to hold heading and altitude for the bombing run.

The different altitudes for Gotha G.V series daylight and night raids are catered for.

Martin has also continued providing necessary custom instruments, which will also be included in the upcoming uploads.
    The fuel selector now is not only decorative, but works for to select the auxiliary wing tank (set as default for engine
    start-up, and then to switch to main tanks.

Also, a couple of minor things have been fixed - something always crops up, doesnīt it?... but I think Iīve got them all.

Attached to this post is an explanatory 6-picture tutorial on how the bomb aimerīs panel can be put to work (in this case I used the Gotha G.Va - you can see the right front-wheel), including a very basic beginning related to the flight-plan, which probably everyone knows about anyway... but pictures 4 to 6 will be of help, Iīm sure.
    If anyone should were to have any questions, donīt hesitate to ask.

I will very soon be uploading the Gotha G.Va "Dragon" and G.Vb, which will have several different liveries.

Iīm also planning to update the already uploaded G.V, which will now get the new bomb aimerīs panel as well, including
    the upgraded gauges. This time the bombsight is under the nose, in the position of the original "Goerz" one.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Off on a raid 1 - Flight Plan.jpg   Off on a Raid 2 - Ready to start.jpg   Off on a raid 3 -Climb.jpg   Off on a raid 4 Bomb Aimerīs panel view.jpg   Off on a raid 5 Release bombs!.jpg   Off on a raid 6 - Bopmb hit!.jpg  

Gotha G.Va and G.Vb uploaded.

Hello All,
    Iīve just uploaded the two new Gotha G.V variants with Boxtails, or "Kastensteuerung", as the Germans called them, the G.Va with its twin-wheeled nose-gear, and the G.Vb. with its "Stossfahrgestell" or shock landing gear, i.e. twin wheels mounted infront of the regular landing gear.

The two models will be available at the Warbirds library as soon as they are approved.

Gotha G.Va: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=124&id=25711

Gotha G.Vb: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=124&id=25712

I hope you enjoy them, and do let me know if thereīs anything amiss!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_GVb.jpg   Screenshot Blue Dragon.jpg  

G.V updated/upgraded with bomb aimerīs panel.

Hello folks,

The G.V uploaded a few days ago has now also been given a bomb aimerīs panel.
    This one has a dark circle/frame around it because the sight was mounted under the nose,
    beneath the front gunner/commander/navigator/bomber.

It seems he was the one with most jobs!

Enjoy!
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GV bomb aimer panel.jpg  

The one with the most jobs..

As long as he had a pay grade to match!

The bombsight is very user-friendly. Great work.

Hello Ravenna,
    I bet he did!
    Iīm glad itīs user friendly. On the explanatory screenshots it could perhaps look a bit more complicated than it really is.

On the G.V and G.Va, at lower heights, the bomb run has to be done at 90% throttle, otherwise itīs too fast and youīll
    overshoot the mark.

I love the vintage autopilot! I was looking to see if I could find the gauge (AP1.gau) anywhere, but it seems itīs no longer
    available. It was lucky Smilo still had a copy. It is very simple, and you canīt program it for climbing to a certain height,
    but it is nevertheless extremely handy: You can do altitude + heading hold, or altidude + level hold, or heading + speed hold,
    which could possibly be useful for climbs if properly trimmed, but of course the plane would have to be levelled out by manually
    clicking the altitude hold switch, which then overrides the speed hold switch.

Now, it would be correct to have a bomb aimerīs panel on the G.IVīs too, for the Goerz bombsight. The thing is, this one
    would really have to have a scale going up to 5100 metres (16700 ft), including a crosshairs for 4900 m (16000 ft), which
    were the max. and min. heights of the first G.IV daylight raids.

The existing one only goes up to 4100 m (13400 ft), the height of the second G.IV raids, where G.Vīs were also included in.

Iīll see if it stays accurate if I slant the view point a bit more verticallly (now itīs at 61 degrees) to make space for another
    1000 m (3000 + ft) height at the bottom.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Members +
    Stunning looking planes indeed.
    Is there any way the Gotha's will work in FS2004?

Hello zswobbie1,

Thanks for your good words!

Regarding your question about using the models in FS2004, Iīm afraid the answer is disappointing.
    After CFS2, Microsoft Flight Simulators discontinued support for Abacus Aircraft Animator animations,
    although the basic Abacus Aircraft Factory 99 model will actually work in FS2004.

Modifying a model in AF99 for FS2004 would be simple, but pointless, and I doubt there could be any
    interest for such models. No animations: Propellers are either stopped or transparent discs.
    Flaps, Spoilers and Langing Gear are only in or out. Ailerons, Rudders and Elevators donīt move.
    Thus, CFS2 and FS2002, apart from FS98 and CFS1, seem to be the only simulators for AF99 models.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Members +
    Thanks for your quick response.
    Such a pity, I really enjoy the older & 'different' aircraft. In fact, I have several unique FS2004 installs, including Golden Wings, a Vintage install, & a WWI install (I also have 3 other themed installs as well), where the Gotha's could have fitted in perfectly.

Many thanks again.

Regards,
    Robin
    (Cape Town, South Africa)

Thank you again! I have always likes the Gotha G.V series ever since I spent many 100's of hours building and "accurizing" the old Aurora 1/48 plastic model kit all those years ago. In retrospect, my time might have been better spent scratch building one.
    Matt

Small plastic Gotha

Hello aeronca1,

Itīs admirable that you could cope with something that small.
    Shortly after I did my first AF99 FS98 Gotha models in 2002, I saw a white 1/48 scale plastic Gotha G.IV in a hobby
    shop, and bought it. However, when I opened the box, it seemed tiny! Itīs still sitting in its box, Iīm afraid.
    I remember the decals were already frial and cracked, so it will call for a decent paint job.
    Anyway, I may give it a go someday! Weīll see...

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

CFS2 Gotha G.Va Grossflugzeug Night Raider 1917.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - World War I

Description: CFS2 Gotha G.Va Grossflugzeug night-raider, 1917.

Variant of the Gotha G.V built by the Gothaer Waggonfabrik A.G. The new twin-wheeled nose gear prevented nose-overs on difficult landings, and the new "Box-tail" allowed single-engined flight in a straight line, even making slow turns in the opposite direction possible. It was powered by 2 high-compression, throttle gated, 6-cyl Mercedes D.IVa engines, altitude rated at 267 Hp at 1300 metres.

Maximum speed was 140 kph,and it could carry a bomb load of 500 kg.

Textures are by Martin Klein, and two choices of Night-raider, dark and very dark irregular patch lozenge textures provided for Unit 723/17 "White Dragon".

Custom photo-realistic panel by Kdriver, with authentic custom Gotha G.V gauge set by Martin Klein, as well as other custom gauges by others. A bomb aimerīs panel is also included, with instructions in the Readme text and screenshots.

Dp files with 5 different flight plans with help from Ravenna.

Model by Stephan Scholz.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS2 Gotha G.Va Grossflugzeug Night Raider 1917.zip

CFS2 Gotha G.Vb Grossflugzeug night-bomber, 1918.zip

Description: CFS2 Gotha G.Vb Grossflugzeug night-bomber, 1918.

The ultimate development Gotha G.V series built by the Gothaer Waggonfabrik A.G. The new "Stossfahgestell" twin-wheels fitted ahead of the main wheels prevented nose-overs on difficult landings, and the new biplane tail allowed single-engined flight in a straight line, even making slow turns in the opposite direction possible.

It was powered by 2 high-compression, throttle gated, 6-cyl Mercedes D.IVa engines, altitude rated at 267 Hp at 1300 metres. Maximum speed was 135 kph, with a payload of 500 kg, although its improved structure allowed overloads.

Textures are by Martin Klein, and five liveries are provided: Go.G.Vb unit 935/18 in dark irregular night-lozenge , as worn by the AEG at the Canadian Aircraft Museum.

Go.G.Vb unit 917/18 in dark irregular daytime-lozenge pattern, plus an alternative with grey under surfaces.

Go.G.Vb unit 733/17 in conspicuous irregular daytime irregular, plus an alternative with grey under surfaces.

Custom photo-realistic panel by Kdriver, authentic custom Gotha G.V gauge set by Martin Klein, as well as other custom gauges by others. A bomb aimerīs panel is also included, with instructions in the Readme text and screenshots. Dp files with 5 different flight plans with help from Ravenna.

Model by Stephan Scholz.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS2 Gotha G.Vb Grossflugzeug night-bomber, 1918.zip

Reply...

Aleatorylamp,

Very nice bomber models, many thanks to all involved!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Hi Rami!
    Glad you like them! Letīs see whatīs next on the list...

Members who have read this thread: 0