New Gotha bombers series thread - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Gotha bombers series thread

Panel Update for the Gotha G.IV

Next I believe would come a with-bombsight-panel update for the G.IV.
    Changing the viewing angle to 70 degrees, a 16700 ft height can be incorporated into the scale.
    Note the close proximity of the 2 high-altitude crosshairs! They work very well, though.

For the lower night-raid heights, 90% throttle has to be used. This also applies to the G.V and G.Va.
    (Not to the G.Vb, as this aircraftīs specified max. speed was 5 Kph lower).

Max. speed for these aircraft (except G.Vb) was 140 kph, but due to the small + 8 kph distortion in the
    engine-power curve in the sim, there is a small unwanted power-peak at mid-altitudes, caused by the
    way the sim handles superchargers.

Superchargers are ON in the flight model because of the Gothaīs high-compression Mercedes D.IVa engines.
    Corrections for this unwanted mid-altitude power-peak would involve lowering power, but comes at the price
    of a considerable loss in power at low and high altitudes.

This is out of the question, especially because as at low altitudes, these high-compression engines are limited
    to only 70% of their power, which is emmulated in the.air file, and would thus cause an even greater loss power
    loss that would make climbing unrealistically sluggish.

Anyway, the crosshairs (and also the engines, of course) seem to work very well!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G.IV Bombsight.jpg  
    "Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

New Gotha WD7 Wasserdoppeldecker.

Hello Folks,

There will be another Gotha, hopefully not the last, in this series of model upgrades for CFS2.

It is the Gotha WD7, the first twin-engined seaplane to be built in quantity (8 units) by Gothaer Waggonfabrik A.G., 1915, powered by 6-cyl 120 hp Mercedes D.II engines. It was used for marine reconnaissance and later mainly as trainer for the larger WD-14 torpedo bombers which operated in the North Sea and Baltic.

This one is actually scheduled next on the production line, as it ties in nicely with the upcoming Flanders Scenery currently being prepared by Kdriver and Ravenna.

Iīve just finished adapting the model for CFS2, with Dp files and a provisional huge scary-looking black English torpedo.

The .air file, aircraft.cfg, and panel all need to be done properly as yet, but for the moment it flies, sits on the water rocking slowly with the waves, but wonīt take off!

Here is some eye-candy for the time being!

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot.jpg   Screenshot7.jpg   Screenshot2.jpg   Screenshot3.jpg   Screenshot4.jpg   Screenshot5.jpg  

Screenshot6.jpg  

Novelties on the WD7

Hello Folks,
    Slowly Iīm getting there...
    This floatplane was used for marine reconnaissance and also for torpedo training, for which it carried a dummy torpedo to train pilots for the larger twin-engined torpedo bombers like the Gotha WD11 and WD14, which were used in the Baltic.

Real German aerial torpedos at the time weighed over 1500 lb, and the WD7 couldnīt handle the weight. The maximum it was able to carry was a 400 lb dummy. As this was not a weapon, I decided to keep out of the Dp files, and build it with the aircraft, to have it enabled and disabled (visible or invisible) with the spoiler key.

Using the spoiler parameter for carrying the torpedo also allowed convenient lift and drag alterations in the .air file for when the torpedo is "carried". I found it works very well: Without the torpedo, top speed is at the specified 137 kph / 85 mph, and with it, speed goes down to 127 kph / 79 mph, also lowering rate of climb. I had tested performance previously it by putting a black, lighter English torpedo in the DP files, to establish plausible changes in performance.

Ravenna also kindly supplied me with the water FX for some spectacular spray when taking off or touching down on water, which can be seen in the screenshots attached.

BUT: Iīm still having a problem, which is delaying the upload. I want to adapt the sound.cfg of some convenient aircraft sounds, with water touch-down sounds. At first I took the water-sounds from one of my FS98 floatplanes, but they wonīt sound in CFS2.
    Then I tried to adapt some other CFS2 sounds changing the touchdown sounds for water-sounds in the general CFS2 Sounds library, but it isnīt working either...

I wonder if anyone could have a suggestion to this respect. Thanks in advance for any help!

Meanwhile, here are some screenshots as eye-candy!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WD7 take-off at the Mole.jpg   WD7 take-off at the Mole-2.jpg   WD7 with dummy torpedo.jpg  

Thank you! More and more WW1 stuff for CFS2, that's amazing!

Water-sounds issue

Hello Roxanne-21,

Thanks for your post!
    The only pending issue to upload this one is the water sounds, and Iīm not getting anywhere.

Either my computer is water-sound-deaf or thereīs something of a problem here.
    Other floatplanes donīt seem to have any water sounds either, unless of course they do...

Then, apparently some older-sim-sounds donīt work on CFS2, but I canīt even get the
    water-sounds in the general CFS2 sounds directory to sound either.

It has a few splash and water sounds to be that called from the sound.cfg, so I substituted
    the landing roll and touchdown sounds called from there, but it doesnīt seem to work.

Note:
    I get the feeling that the CFS2 sound.cfg differentiates between land and water touchdowns
    to activate corresponding sounds, so the headings for water-touchdowns or water-roll sections in
    the Sound.cfg must be different. That must be why itīs not working.
    However, I donīt know the syntax required, and any SDK Iīve been able to get my hands on
    for CFS2 doesnīt mention the Sound.cfg.

I wonder if anyone knows the secrets of the CFS2 Sound.cfg...

Otherwise, rather than further delaying the upload, I should maybe just alias the A6m2 Zero sounds
    and let simmers put in the ones they want.

What would you say?

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Sounds

Hello Folks,
    It seems a difficult issue, this water-sound business.
    I tracked down a Microsoft document related to the FS config files, and the sounds appear to have a flag parameter
    for the kind of surface that CFS2 supposedly detects, to activate a certain sound.

For water itīs Flags=8, and Iīve put it into the Ground_Roll and Touchdown sections of the Sound.cfg, but it all still remains silent.
    Well...
    Cheers anyway,
    Aleatorylamp

Water sounds

Hello Folks,
    Thanks to input from Shessi and Kdriver I have had a certain degree of success for this seaplane.

It appears that neither Flags=18, nor Left/Right/Centre make Touchdown sounds on water audible in CFS2, even using Viewpoint=1 or Viewpoint=2 to "force" the sound to be heard from outside or inside. Even the Landing Roll section is not audible, whichever Flags or Viewpoints were to be defined.

The only thing that CFS2 seems to recognize is assigning values 7 and 8 for Aux1 and Aux2 scrape point sounds in Aircraft.cfg Contact-Point entry Nš 13, which allows CFS2 Sound.cfg to play selected water-sounds, albeit for interior sounds only.
    No combination whatsoever could make water-sounds audible from outside.

Nevertheless, one could say this has been reasonably successful. There are more details on the Water-Sound specific thread.

Any further suggestions or ideas will of course be very welcome!

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Gotha WD-7 Wasserdoppeldecker recon/torpedo-trainer uploaded

Hello Folks,
    After checking everything, I had uploaded the 1915 twin-engined Gotha WD-7 twin-engined marine reconnaissance and torpedo trainer.
    I hope thereīs nothing wrong... If there is, do let me know and Iīll put it right.
    It will be available as soon as it is approved at the Warbirds library.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=124&id=25814

There are audibly working water-sounds from the 2D Instrument panel and Virtual Cockpit views. A How-to text is included for those who are interested how water-sounds can be made to work in CFS2.

As the torpedo is a dummy, it is not in the Dp files, but appears by pressing the Spoiler key or with the Torpedo (spoiler) lever on right of the 2D instrument panel. Carrying the dummy training torpedo noticeably alters aircraft behaviour, but it isnīt unpleasant.

I did some texturing improvements, and now the exhausts, radiators and tanks behind them are also textured.

I hope you like the model.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WD7 Screenshot.jpg  

A double thank you from me!! Not only for the great aircraft, but also after looking at your Aircraft cfg, I now have water effects for all float planes. So much better than what I had (nothing at all)!

Thanks again .... Rick

Hello Rickyo, hello Ravenna,

Thanks for your motivating posts!
    Letīs see if we can discover some more niceties related to the subject...

If I find any more things like using the splash sounds that normally work for planes
    crashing into the water as per Lastvika, or activating disaster sounds for slide-landings
    as per Shessi, Iīll mention it on the watersounds thread:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...uchdown-sounds

The show must go on!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Two more Wasserdoppeldecker Torpedo Bombers

Hello Folks,
    Dressed with Martin Kleinīs wonderful textures, there will be two liveries of the Gotha WD-14 Water Biplane Torpedo bomber. The aircraft model is now finished, and Iīll be uploading it in a few days.

It was a large, heavy floatplane, slightly larger than the Gotha G.IV and G.Vīs, and was powered by two Benz BZ.IV tractors, which gave the aircraft a top speed of 80 mph, and could carry a 1598 lb Whitehead torpedo. 69 units were built.

An attack run was conducted at 30 metresīheight above the water and the torpedo was released at a distance of about 600 metres from the target. Success was only limited, because quite soon ship-board defensive artillery improved and the aircraft became very vulnerable, so it was used for long distance marine reconnaissance, the torpedo being bustituted for a long-range fuel tank.

Its predecessor, the Gotha WD-11 Torpedo bomber, of which about 12 units were built, was a slightly smaller pusher biplane, powered by two Mercedes D.III pushers. An upload of this model is also being prepared.

Four screenshots of the WD-14 are attached, showing the two liveries provided, as well as two screenshots of the WD-11, but the latter as yet with provisional textures.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WD-14-4.jpg   WD-14-3.jpg   WD-14-1.jpg   WD-14-2.jpg   WD-11-1jpg.jpg   WD-11-2.jpg  

Nerves of Steel...

...would have been needed on a torpedo run, given that the torpedoes used needed a lower speed for effective release. I am looking for evidence of any successful torpedoing by a W-14. A very handsome member of the Zeebrugge flock.
    Thanks Stephan!

Gotha WD-14 torpedo bomber uploaded

Hello Folks,
    Iīve just uploaded the Gotha WD-14 torpedo bomber at the Warbirds library,
    where it will be available as soon as it is approved:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=124&id=25874

It is offered in two liveries - with wonderful textures by Martin Klein.
    Let me know of any flaws, and I will put them right!

Good luck with torpedo launching!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WD-14 Screenshot.jpg   WD-14 Screenshot2.jpg  

CFS2 Gotha WD-14 Torpedo and reconnaissance seaplane 1916.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - World War I

Description: Large twin-engined torpedo bomber seaplane, built by Gothaer Waggonfabrik A.G. in 1916, powered by two 6-cyl 230 hp Benz Bz IV engines.

Max. speed was 80 mph, and it could carry a 1598 lb Whitehead torpedo or depth charges. It saw service in the North Sea and Baltic, and was later used for long distance marine reconnaissance and as minelayer. 69 units were built.

Textures and panel instruments by Martin Klein.

Custom panel and implementation of water-touchdown sounds included.

By Stephan Scholz.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS2 Gotha WD-14 Torpedo and reconnaissance seaplane 1916.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Another to come

Glad you like it!
    Itīs doing rather well with the downloads too, thanks very much!
    As soon as the final textures for the WD-11 are done Iīll be uploading that one too.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Anyone else with a problem?

I have a small problem with getting the plane. When I click the download button I get a response, that this page doen't work. Anyone else with this?
    Finn

Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I have a small problem with getting the plane. When I click the download button I get a response, that this page doen't work. Anyone else with this?
    Finn
    Finn,

Yeup,

Google Chrome didn't like the link because the file name had a comma in it. I renamed the download so that it is comma-free. It works just fine now. Thanks for the heads-up!

A-lamp,

Very nice job, I love how you have taken the lead on World War I, adding another dimension to the sim!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Hello Rami,

Thanks for fixing the file name without the comma! Iīll take note for future uploads.

Glad you like my WW1 uploads - their quality is very much enhanced thanks to the efforts and good teamwork from Martin Klein, Kdriver and Ravenna.

Cheers,

Aleatorylamp

Hi Aleatorylamp
    Thanks for another great WW1 addition.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Hello Stuart,
    Thanks for your motivating message. Iīm glad you like our models.
    There will be more to come!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello Folks,
    My apologies for some omissions on my part, which Kdriver kindly pointed out to me.

In the WD-14 upload, I had not only omitted Water Sounds, which were only aliased to the WD-7, but
    also the Water Effects and the Torpedo and Depth Charge textures were missing, but are now included.

Additionally, two of the included gauge sets were superfluous, and another two sets were not the updated
    ones, which will not, however, affect the present aircraft, but will be needed for future uploads.

Anyway, Iīve just corrected that, so it should be fine now.
    Sorry about that! ...better late than never!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Members who have read this thread: 0