New Gotha bombers series thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Gotha bombers series thread

Hello Folks,
    Things are slowly progressing, and glitches are being ironed out.

So far, the Gotha G.II and G.IV models have been run throught TEX512, and have had
    their .Xaf textures renamed as required by TEX512, even though for the moment they
    are only 256x256x256 ones.

Iīve made sure that the models display correctly in FS2002, as can be seen on the enclosed
    screenshots ( ...at Chicago Meigs ...!!?). Note that FS2002 canīt use hardware accelleration
    on my set-up.

I also found a further glitch on the G.IV to correct! This time on the rudder - Aircraft Animator
    often forgets animations, and then I forget to check them all... Sorry about these lapses.

The silly thing is, that the way the textures are required to be renamed, with the Gotha models,
    they end up with the same names, which can be confusing. The best thing to do for the next
    WIP post, is to re-run AF99, instructing it to rename textures so that they are different.

Cheers for now,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gotha-G.IV.jpg  
    "Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

Aleatorylamp,
    Thanks for thse textures. Will try them in CFS2 and see what I get. By the way, what font is used for the serials?
    Cheers,
    Ravenna

Hello Ravenna,
    Iīm afraid I drew in the fonts by hand, looking at pictures of the Gothas.

Apart from the different colour schemes and markings the models have, at this stage, it will be
    interesting to see if the superior CFS2-type texture format can now be applied to the new models
    sent, to substitute the simpler 256x256x256 bitmap textures on them at the moment.

If it all goes as expected, or hoped, the next thing Iīll do is make AF99 change the texture names,
    so that after TEX512 processing, G.II and G.IV textures donīt end up named identically! I only realized
    this after Iīd processed both models and saw what had happened.

Good luck with the testing!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello Ravena,
    Thanks for your feedback by e-mail confirming that
    a) the new TEX512-processed models display correctly in CFS2,
    b) that the Bomb .bglīs I sent donīt work in the sim, crashing it, and
    c) that the old Dp files work with the new models, so for now, the old
    bombs can be used, until I find a way of making some that work.

At the moment, after improving a few minor issues, Iīve just textured the
    G.IIīs exhausts, with the last texture that was free there, and Iīm trying get
    the same done for the G.IV, which is full-up on textures at present. Weīll see...

Another thing that crossed my mind, is a bomb-aimerīs panel, for the Goerz
    bomb sight: Maybe a bitmap with twin lobes and a scale to be used in
    downwards-looking map-view mode.

There is no hurry for this, as other things need straightening out first, but
    offhand, I would imagine scales for 110 and 130 kph, (68 and 80 mph) at 3000
    and 3500 metres (9800 and 11500 ft), but I havenīt done any research on the
    characteristics of a typical Gotha G.IV bomb run, so Iīm not sure.

Anyway, weīll see!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Gotha G.IV and G.II coming along

Hello folks,
    With Ravenna busily doing the DP and testing how the models show up under hardware accelleration in CFS2, modifications have progressed considerably.
    Given the darker shading textures have in CFS2, wings had to be re-structured completely to avoid the strange shading effects in the wing components.
    Then, because of the G.IVīs firing tunnel, there was a serious parts-count limitation, as parts-count for single parts as opposed to structure and component contained parts was considerably higher than that of the G.II.
    For the G.IV, wing sections had to be added using SCASM, as the complete model wouldnīt compile in AF99.

The aircraft.cfg was also written in CFS2 style, and there are still some contact point issues, but it seems to work. The .air file also had to be adjusted, as planes imported from CFS1, even containing CFS engine and peopeller parameters, seem to develop about twice the performance than they should have.
    Additionally, the Gotha G.IVīs Mercedes D.IVa high-compression engines have a totally different performance curve than normal engines.

These cannot be given full throttle at Sea Level, and are limited to about 225 instead of 267 Hp there, and as altitude is gained, throttle can be pushed forward until at the rated altitude of 4265 ft (1300 metres), the full 267 Hp are unleashed.

The gates that limited throttle lever travel were removed by the commander at certain altitudes, and but in the .air file it is done automatically with convenient "sculpting" of the Torque graph and Propeller Graph tables.

This art was discovered by Ivan of the CFS1 SOH forum, and I have been able to adapt the G.IV .air file parameters for CFS2 accordingly. It has also worked very well for the CFS2 Zeppelin Staaken RVI, both for the Mercedes engines as for the Maybach MbIVa engines, which incidentally are rated with 245 Hp at 2500 metres (8022 ft) - so although they have less power at low altitude, theitr ceiling is 2000 ft higher.

Anyway, while the Gothas are being finished with small details here and there, here are a couple of screenshots.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smoother_GII.jpg   Smoother_GIV.jpg  

The English "Grossflugzeug" Big Planes.

Hello Folks,
    We will also be getting CFS2 versions with hollowed-out cockpits and gunnerwells, of the Blackburn Kangaroo R.T.1 Torpedo bomber, and the two DeHavilland DH10 Amiens tactical bombers - i.e. DH10 (Mark III) and DH10A (MarkIIIA), the latter having its engines directly mounted on the wing to reduce parasitic drag. There were 32 units, I believe, built by Mann, Egerton and Co. ov Coventry, I think it was.

Ravenna has already done the DP for the Kangaroo, which can be loaded with a torpedo, or two MKVI aerial depth charges, or one 500 lb bomb. Iīm still getting headaches with contact points though, because unless loaded automatically on CFS2 startup, the airceaft is half underground, jumps up and commits suicide! Iīm figuring out the height parameter ibelow the contact points in the .air file.

The two DeHavilland Amiens bombers are in progress too, and have the windows in the nose - which I only discovered were there a week ago! Terrible... Anyway, they display well, and now Iīm fighting with the lazy mechanics because the engines take ages to start up, and they are always drunk.

So here are some screenshots of the three English "Grossflugzeuge", some eye-candy to enjoy while the planes are being completed!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-DH10Awip.jpg   s-Kangaroo.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; November 14th, 2018 at 23:59.

Down here in sunny Melbourne, so the DPs for the Amiens will have to wait for me to take the road trip home (1000+ Kms). Looking good Stephan!

Hello Ravenna,
    Thanks, glad you like the looks. Iīve just substituted the DH10A
    screenshot because it had the green livery of the DH10, it should
    be in brown - at least on the model.

Talking about colours. The Kangaroo model has some grey-blue pixels
    on the light grey reflective metallic textures. I think my Photo-retouching
    program confuses bright white, and puts in some crazy grey-blue in those
    pixels when copying from another bitmap onto the default AF99 pallete,
    so I must correct that.

Anyway, enjoy the sun, have a good time, and donīt hurry home!
    Here itīs getting colder and colder, mostly because of the humidity.
    Itīs much better in the holidaymakerīs areas in the south, though,
    as itīs drier.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Upcoming Upload, updated model: Gotha G.IV Grossflugzeug

Hello Folks,

As mentioned in prior posts, the updated model of the Gotha G.IV is ready now.
    Although I havenīt seen the exciting new textures, Ravenna has been very busy working on
    a new livery, as well as some new Dp files for different types of bombloads.

Additionally, kdriver has been busy flight-testing the model.
    The upload will expectedly take place in a couple of days.

Here are some screenshots.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GothaGIV-2.jpg   GothaGIV-1.jpg   GothaGIV-3.jpg  

Next upload on the list: Gotha G.II

Hello all!
    The updated Gotha G.II model is now also ready, and Ravenna has also been working on the new Dp files.
    Iīm not sure if my new beige textures with the brown nose will be the ones that will go on the
    soon-to-be-uploaded model, but meanwhile for eye-candy, here are a few screenshots.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gotha GII-3.jpg   GothaGII-2.jpg   GothaGII-1.jpg  

And now for some English Grossflugzeuge!

Hello Folks,
    The English also had some "Grossflugzeuge", the most famous of which were the Handley Page and Vickers Vimmy bombers.

However, there were some lesser known models which are well worth modelling.
    The DeHavilland DH10 Amiens Mk III and MkIIIa bombers, which I find have a very harmoniuos and attractive design,
    and also the Blackburn RT1 Kangaroo Torpedo bomber, with its charismatic fuselage shape and long nose.

I have also updated these models with hollowed-out cockpits and gunner-wells. Here are some screenshots.
    Ravenna is equipping the Blackburn RT1 Kangaroo for carrying bombs, depth-charges or a huge torpedo, and
    uploads will be prepared in due course.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DeHavilland DH10 MkIII.jpg   Kangaroo2.jpg   DeHavilland DH10A MkIIIa.jpg   Kangaroo1.jpg   Kangaroo3.jpg  

Great news, can't wait to get them flying!

Pause to take breath...The Gotha.IV is ready but as yet there is only one DP. I am a bit time poor this week. Apologies Stephan. I am in the process of doing an alternative DP which makes use of the Gotha's wing racks. For some reason it didn't occur to me before that I could get more hardpoints by deleting the 4 used for the hindmost bombs and their racks, then using those hardpoints for 4 wing bombs on the existing racks.
    I am working on a new set of wing textures the D.H. 10 so that might be a few days away. The loadouts for the Blackburn Kangaroo are reasonably accurate except for the torpedo. Blackburn did experiment with a centrline rack for the Kangaroo but it was never used operationally. The depth bombs used were so similar to the ones used at the beginning of the Second World War that I used the on we have in the library.

Hello Ravenna,

No hurry, indeed, for any of the planned uploads - take your time, you are doing a great job.
    I realize that there are many small details to be attended to, and we mustnīt hurry our curry!

Moreover, it seems that the upload will be accompanied or followed by some exciting new
    sceneries that kdriver is preparing for the Gothas, so it looks like itīs going to be great!

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Two more Gothas on the conveyor belt.

Hello All,

The workshop is very busy indeed these days!

Here a couple of screenshots of two more Gotha Grossflugzeuge that are on the conveyor belt,
    planned for CFS2 upgrade. Ravenna and Kdriver will be working on textures and weapons.

They are the Gotha G.V, with more aerodynamic engine nacelles and inboard tanks, in hexagonal
    conspicuous lozenge livery (anti-friendly fire), and then also the Gotha G.Vb in camo splinter lozenge
    livery, with biplane tail and "Stossfahrgestell" landing gear to prevent nose-overs.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GVb_Screenshot-1.jpg   GV_Screenshot-2.jpg   GV_screenshot-1.jpg   GVb_Screenshot-2.jpg  

Happy to say that they fly very well in formation. Thanks Stephan!
    More work on the textures later this week.

Hello Ravenna,
    Thanks! Iīm glad they fly well.
    The textures on the G.V werenīt too bad, as theyīd been quite well mapped on the Austro G.IV by Udo Entenmann.
    The difficult part was getting a more even texture spread on the G.Vb, plus a couple of structural issues because of
    the inceased parts count, but it seems to have to turned out quite well.
    Good luck with the improved colouring of the textures! Thanks indeed for your cooperation!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

The other Grossflugzeuge

Hello Ravenna, Hello Kdriver,

After the upload success of the three Gotha G.IV Grossflugzeuge - download
    numbers are already at 173 - not bad at all! - I was wondering whether the
    Gotha G.II, the Blackburn R.T.1 Kangaroo, and the two DeHavilland Amiens
    (MkIII and MkIIIa) would really be quite ready to upload, and perhaps even
    the Gotha G.Vb. (Not the G.V, whose textures still need lightening up a bit).

The Dp files which I couldnīt do, for these 4 models, have already been very
    nicely done by Ravenna, and the .air file and Aircraft.cfg work very nicely.

Furthermore, there are no further texture complications on any of these models
    needing any further work.

So, if you feel the models are ready, Iīll be glad to undertake corresponding uploads.
    What do you think?

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Gotha G.II upgrade uploaded.

Hello Folks,

Iīve just uploaded the Gotha G.II at the following link, and it will be available in the Warbirds Library as soon as it is authorized.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=124&id=25466.

Thanks to Ravenna and Kdriver for their help in this project.
    Let me know if there are any problems, and Iīll try and fix them.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gotha G.II at Gontrode.jpg  

CFS2 Gotha G.II.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - World War I

Description: The Hotha G.II was Gothaer Waggonfabrik A.G.īs first own design by Hans Burkhart after the rather unusual Gotha G.1 Ursinus "Grosskampffluhgzeug"(large Battleplane). It was powered by 2x220 Hp straight-eight Mercedes D.IVs engines, and equipped with 4-bladed propellers. Max. Speed was 92 mph, and bombload was 300 Kg (660 lb). Ten units were built, and saw service on the Balkan Front. This design was further developed into the improved Gotha G.IV and G.V models.

This release features a new livery in brown/beige colours, for registration number 204/16. CFS2 flight dynamics DP files included, with weapons by Allen Downey, custom panel by Kevin Driver, most custom gauges by Martin Klein, two by Bastian Hundt and Horst Weingärtner.

By Stephan Scholz.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS2 Gotha G.II.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Hi guys

You're obviously having fun with these projects Drive on.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Even more fun... Gotha G.I

Hello Folks,
    ...and the fun goes on.
    Kdriver has just prodded me for another Gotha upgrade for CFS2: The peculiar Gotha G.I.

The Grossflugzeug Series started with the G.II through G.Vb, and was designed by Hans Burkhart,
    but it wasnīt the first Gotha design. This was the G.I Ursinus, which Hans Burkhart didnīt like.

The G.I was a "Grosskampfflugzeug", a "Large Battle Plane", a twin-engined biplane, with two
    172 Hp Mercedes D.IIIs engine mounted on the lower wings. The fuselage was on top, between the
    top wings, and it had twin-fins on the tailplane. Top speed was just under 82 mph, and bombload, 330 lb.

The advantage of this rather outlandish layout was that bombs were easy to load, but nose-overs didnīt
    have a good result for the crew. It was armed with fore- and aft firing machineguns, and had a crew of three.

Hereīs a screenshot from the original FS98 version - I hadnīt put in a crew at the time, and I never made an
    upgraded model for CFS1, so it will require some extensive re-work, but itīs on the conveyor belt!

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gotha G.1.jpg  

Thank you! More and more targets to fight against!

Hello All,
    All that work just to have them as AI enemies?
    But well, I suppose it adds to the ambience.

I donīt know how good the defences are on AI versions of these models.
    Perhaps they should be made more difficult to shoot down...

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Members who have read this thread: 0