RCS North American B-25J RAF MkII FSX native
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RCS North American B-25J RAF MkII FSX native

RCS North American B-25J RAF MkII FSX native

I'm glad to announce,
    That i get after a long time of hope, an answer from Roy Chaffin,
    who let me know that he has no objection to the publication
    of his B-25J MKII ,which I have converted to fsx native format. Check Costco Ad and Hobby Lobby Ad.

Sadly i have to report,
    that Roy had a bad fall and broke his neck Nov2017.
    After two major operations,
    he makes a painful and slow process through,
    to learn to re-use his hands and legs.

I wish him all the power he needs,
    to get back into better healthy conditions.
    I'm very grateful to him and wish him the best for a speedy recovery.

The B-25J MKII is now in a FSX native format and will work nicely in P3D4+.
    I have also get the permission from Philippe Wallaert,
    to use his XML gauges panel, which brings the 64bit compatibility with P3D4+.
    My thanks goes also to him.

The package is uploaded to SOH while i type and will be avaible soon.

Ulrich

Wow !!

First of all, best wishes to Roy for a quick recovery. A broken neck is a very scary injury with extremely scary consequences. I'm glad he was "lucky" (so to speak) enough to be able to use his legs and arms again.

Then, thanks a lot to you for your conversion.
    I'm looking at that virtual cockpit screenshot above, I don't remember the original plane was so crisp and clear ! It's very impressive. Did you make any improvements during the conversion, or was this the original quality and I just forgot about it ? I haven't used that bird in years, so I don't remember very well about it...

Question time.

How does this conversion differ from the FSX Version 2.75 available on Roy's website?
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

This is a very pleasant surprise. Thank you very much, Ulrich! And all the best to you Roy.

Brian

Thank you it's been a while since I was able to fly here and here is to Roy's quick recovery. Anyone know if the old paints work in this new version?

LouP

This is all in all the original model.
    I have improved the glass textures and some small minor things.
    The FSX native format ( native inner and seperate outer model )
    allows to use it with Prepar 3D v4.
    P3Dv4 don't support FS9 formats anymore, thats why the conversion.
    The original panel gauges comes in 32bit .gau format and are also
    not longer supported by P3Dv4 - 64bit.

The different to Roy's version is primarily the model format and the panel.

If you use FSX or P3D 1-3 and like to use Roy's panel and gauges,
    install the original RCS version, or replace the panel of my version
    with the original RCS panel.

I think all avaible repaints will work with the new version, if you copy
    and paste the texture.cfg from inside the texture folders to the new
    texture file.

A very pleasant surprise this morning . Thank you for all your work on one of my favorite AC , the B-25 .

Rich
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

I will try to download and test it tonight after work.
    Is it possible to perform a cold&dark startup from the VC ?

The VC is sadly a little basic just like the default one, it has no working pedestal,
    yokes and pedals, but you can make a cold&dark startup with the 2D panel.

Repaints? Apart from mine that came with the model, I don't think he ever allowed any repaints? I know, I asked.
    Anyway, all the best for Roy, and I'll try when it becomes available. Is it now fully native, so no more props behind clouds?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

I think you are right,Jan.
    I've never seen any other repaints than yours.
    Sadly i don't find your great extra repaints in my archive
    and Ozx is still offline.

There is one additional paint for "Yellow Rose".

It was part of a package for the Commemorative Air Force. That package is no longer available, and Roy never released it to the public.

-- WH

Quote Originally Posted by Postbaer61 View Post
    The VC is sadly a little basic just like the default one, it has no working pedestal,
    yokes and pedals, but you can make a cold&dark startup with the 2D panel.
    Ah, this is bad news... Thanks anyways.

Now that the plane is FSX native, and given the fact that it's one of the most famous models in the FS world, I'm pretty sure some modelling expert will start someday a project to "modernize" that VC with more clickable controls. That plane is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Postbaer61 View Post
    I think you are right,Jan.
    I've never seen any other repaints than yours.
    Sadly i don't find your great extra repaints in my archive
    and Ozx is still offline.
    That's because I never published any, Roy wouldn't allow me.
    I sent him two, which he included in the 'FSX' version (the ones with 7B and 9A on the tail).
    I have two more, one of the RAAF and one more of the 340th BG, but never published them.

jk4711

jk4715

Looks good in P3Dv4 as well!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Sorry to hear about Roy's misfortune. I hope for a speedy recovery.

Great news though that we can finally fly this, maybe dated, but still very nice B25J in P3Dv4. I stil fly it in FSX. I also am fortunate to have that one extra livery, the "Yellow Rose".

Too bad Roy never allowed repainters to use their talents on this beauty.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    That's because I never published any, Roy wouldn't allow me.
    I sent him two, which he included in the 'FSX' version (the ones with 7B and 9A on the tail).
    I have two more, one of the RAAF and one more of the 340th BG, but never published them.

Looks good in P3Dv4 as well!
    Ah, this ones. They seem familiar to me, I could swear. . . ,
    anyway, they looking great.

Roy thinks, that his time of flightsimming and painting is overgone, what a pity.
    Unfortunately, I do not know how he currently thinks about third-party repaintings.
    I'm sure there would be a lot if he would allow.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Is that because Roy wouldn't let you publish them?? Perhaps we can ask again??
    -- WH

Many thanks Bluebear

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Great screen shot there Roger.

I can not wait to get home from work to download this beauty and see it in P3Dv4.

I remember Roy always declining requests for painters to release their textures.

Maybe this time he sees that his creation is so appreciated that it is continued it's life in the latest sim, and allows us to enjoy it with additional paint jobs.
    One cal always hope!!
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

I just wish to say that Roy is one very talented individual whose aircraft and fabulous panels are renown but unfortunately has had a real rough time the past few years. Our hearts should go out to him and his family. He's had more than his share of misfortunes health-wise. Here's hoping he may read these forums, but, don't really blame him if he doesn't. He has much "bigger fish to fry." God bless him and his family.

Second, thank you for bringing this model to light. I have the original and it works fine in FSX-A, but I can appreciate the need to move it "into the light" in view of the current trend to go to 64-bit and P3D. Updating the VC would be a godsend and a treat that many simmers would salivate over. Finally, thank you first and foremost Roy Chaffin for the original model and secondly to Bluebear and team for moving this model forward.
    Last edited by simtech; September 13th, 2018 at 15:26. Reason: Spelling error

Thank you Bluebear, I missed this a/c from the old FS9 days. Sad though to hear that Roy is so sick. He's such a good guy and has been for many years now, I wish him well and a most speedy recovery.

Still a joy to fly. I cleared up the vc a bit by changing the pixel size to 4096,4096.

LouP

LouP, that was my question. How did Postbaer61 get the VC so clear? You mentioned increasing pixel size to 4096. Are you referring to max texture size, or did you modify the cockpit textures offline first? I'm afraid my wimpy computer chokes when I put in anything over 2048. I'll live with the 2D. Excellent model though.

Pixel size. VC01 should be 4096,4096 (currently 1024,1024) and VC02 should be 2048,2048 as 4096,4096 in VC02 causes the hud to stop working. Sorry if I wasn't clear but it cleans up pretty well.

LouP

Ulrich , Thank you so much ! Mike

Members who have read this thread: 5