RCS North American B-25J RAF MkII FSX native

Thread: RCS North American B-25J RAF MkII FSX native

Hybrid View

RCS North American B-25J RAF MkII FSX native

I'm glad to announce,
    That i get after a long time of hope, an answer from Roy Chaffin,
    who let me know that he has no objection to the publication
    of his B-25J MKII ,which I have converted to fsx native format. Check Costco Ad and Hobby Lobby Ad.

Sadly i have to report,
    that Roy had a bad fall and broke his neck Nov2017.
    After two major operations,
    he makes a painful and slow process through,
    to learn to re-use his hands and legs.

I wish him all the power he needs,
    to get back into better healthy conditions.
    I'm very grateful to him and wish him the best for a speedy recovery.

The B-25J MKII is now in a FSX native format and will work nicely in P3D4+.
    I have also get the permission from Philippe Wallaert,
    to use his XML gauges panel, which brings the 64bit compatibility with P3D4+.
    My thanks goes also to him.

The package is uploaded to SOH while i type and will be avaible soon.

Ulrich

Wow !!

First of all, best wishes to Roy for a quick recovery. A broken neck is a very scary injury with extremely scary consequences. I'm glad he was "lucky" (so to speak) enough to be able to use his legs and arms again.

Then, thanks a lot to you for your conversion.
    I'm looking at that virtual cockpit screenshot above, I don't remember the original plane was so crisp and clear ! It's very impressive. Did you make any improvements during the conversion, or was this the original quality and I just forgot about it ? I haven't used that bird in years, so I don't remember very well about it...

Question time.

How does this conversion differ from the FSX Version 2.75 available on Roy's website?
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

This is a very pleasant surprise. Thank you very much, Ulrich! And all the best to you Roy.

Brian

Thank you it's been a while since I was able to fly here and here is to Roy's quick recovery. Anyone know if the old paints work in this new version?

LouP

This is all in all the original model.
    I have improved the glass textures and some small minor things.
    The FSX native format ( native inner and seperate outer model )
    allows to use it with Prepar 3D v4.
    P3Dv4 don't support FS9 formats anymore, thats why the conversion.
    The original panel gauges comes in 32bit .gau format and are also
    not longer supported by P3Dv4 - 64bit.

The different to Roy's version is primarily the model format and the panel.

If you use FSX or P3D 1-3 and like to use Roy's panel and gauges,
    install the original RCS version, or replace the panel of my version
    with the original RCS panel.

I think all avaible repaints will work with the new version, if you copy
    and paste the texture.cfg from inside the texture folders to the new
    texture file.

A very pleasant surprise this morning . Thank you for all your work on one of my favorite AC , the B-25 .

Rich
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

I will try to download and test it tonight after work.
    Is it possible to perform a cold&dark startup from the VC ?

Anyone have a problem with RPM max being only around 1800 at FULL INCREASE? Even at max MAP of 44" - I can reduce RPM, but max is only 1350 RPM. Prop levers also show 100% (FSX Steam /Windows 10). The cfg file shows:

max_rated_rpm=2600.000
    gear_reduction_ratio=1.778

Any ideas? maybe the tach gauge is wrong?

Mike, I noticed that also. I installed RCS original panel and the rpm does exceed 1800 and go to 2400. But on the panel that ships with this d/l, I also noticed about 1800 max. I even tried moving the prop levers manually in this panel..no change. In the air, prop rpm increases slightly, but not in the 2400-2800 range we're used to seeing on these engines. I remember with Dean's Recorder, the prop rpm on the ground was below 2000. In the air, it seemed to eventually get to normal. Not sure if this was modeled purposely or not..Airplane flies good though. Roy's original panel really looks authentic in this one. Caution, if you install his original panel, don't open the flight in windowed mode or you'll only see a black screen and a spinning cursor. Load in full screen and you will see a click box at the middle bottom of the page that then opens fsx window. I thought at first that FSX had crashed, it hadn't. It was waiting for the CLICK that I hadn't seen in windowed mode.. Great panel..Hope we find out about the props though.
    Last edited by simtech; September 13th, 2018 at 19:17. Reason: additional data

Quote Originally Posted by simtech View Post
    Mike, I noticed that also. I installed RCS original panel and the rpm does exceed 1800 and go to 2400. But on the panel that ships with this d/l, I also noticed about 1800 max. I even tried moving the prop levers manually in this panel..no change. In the air, prop rpm increases slightly, but not in the 2400-2800 range we're used to seeing on these engines. I remember with Dean's Recorder, the prop rpm on the ground was below 2000. In the air, it seemed to eventually get to normal. Not sure if this was modeled purposely or not..Airplane flies good though. Roy's original panel really looks authentic in this one. Caution, if you install his original panel, don't open the flight in windowed mode or you'll only see a black screen and a spinning cursor. Load in full screen and you will see a click box at the middle bottom of the page that then opens fsx window. I thought at first that FSX had crashed, it hadn't. It was waiting for the CLICK that I hadn't seen in windowed mode.. Great panel..Hope we find out about the props though.
    Thanks for the feedback - I meant 1400 vice 1800 in my first statement.

I agree about the original panel in the older version. I had tried it to see if it had RPM issues too, and got the "oh-oh moment" you talked about. I think mine was the FSX "do you want to use " trusted gauge thing. I noticed to late that he had a bat file that would eliminate the black screen issue supposedly.

Very sorry to hear about Roy's fall and broken neck, I hope that he will heal and feel better.

Sure wish this B-25 had a more complete virtual cockpit.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I think i found the culprit for the RPM issue.
    In the B25.cab the PROP_RPM_12.xml has a value setting (A:PROP1 RPM, rpm)
    and (A:PROP2 RPM, rpm)
    and must have (A:General eng rpm:1, RPM) and (A:General eng rpm:2, RPM)
    as settings.
    I have attached a updated file.

RPM_Patch.zip

Simply replace the B25.cab with this file

My rpms won't go up either, but still enjoying this a lot. Thanks again.

LouP :-)

Members who have read this thread: 1