Reworking Eric Johnson's Airacobra - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reworking Eric Johnson's Airacobra

Status Update

The recent diversion to work on the P-47D-23 was actually very related to working on the flight model for the Airacobra.
    Both have quite similar centers of gravity though quite different conditions.
    The CoG is pretty far aft in the Thunderbolt when it is fully loaded but stability improves as fuel is burned from the aft fuel tank and is pretty good by the time all fuel and ammunition are expended.
    The CoG is slightly further ahead on the Airacobra and moves rearward as stores are expended and the aircraft becomes increasingly unstable.

The last version of the AIR file I worked on several months ago (which I will call the "Version A") had a few intentional quirks and handled well but had rather conventional behaviour especially at the stall.
    The updated version which I will call "Version B" incorporates some changes gained from experiments with the Thunderbolt and is much less stable and has some strange stall characteristics which seem to logically match some of the characteristics of the Airacobra.
    There are some maneuvers I still cannot reproduce such as the infamous "Tumble".
    There are some handling characteristics such as the very sensitive elevators that I have chosen to ignore in order to make the models more easily flyable in the simulator and I suspect that might also be preventing the Tumble.

Along with edits to the AIR file, there have been some minor edits to the model.
    In this screenshot, the narrowed interior frame of the canopy can be seen.
    It was modified so that the Virtual Cockpit view would have smaller obstructions.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P39DEJ_AfterTestFlight.jpg  

Minor Change in Plans

My original plan was to change nothing as far as textures and mapping that was not directly related to model changes.
    The main reason was to be able to use existing texture sets on the new model with minimal modifications.
    The second reason was to limit the changes because as with any model that we did not design, there are an endless list of things that can be "improved".
    The third reason is that I simply hate texture mapping and working on new textures.

There are, however, certain things I just can't tolerate and I came across such a situation.
    Different parts should not map to the same areas of the same texture files.
    When this is done, it becomes impossible to paint one piece with a unique marking without affecting the other pieces which share the same texture; If I paint one wing tip red, I don't want to see a red pattern appear on the tail or some other piece of the aeroplane.

In this case, the Landing Gear covers mapped to the same areas.
    With the standard Army Air Corps paint schemes, the underside is mostly a single colour, so it is not an obvious problem.
    Stripes and certain camouflage pattern simply could not be done.
    The texture remapping was completed earlier today and I also finished applying a texture to the last piece that I believe needed one: the Control Panel.

The screenshot shows the new Control Panel. There is no point showing the Landing Gear because the appearance has not changed.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airacobra_Instruments.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 56