Vehicles Worth Downloading...?

Thread: Vehicles Worth Downloading...?

Vehicles Worth Downloading...?

Has anyone downloaded and tried any of the vehicles for CFS3 by airfighter55?

As they say "a pictire is worth a thousand words" bu none of his files in the library are screenshots.

Are they worth downloading?

Thank you for any input.

KevinB

SOH-CM-2020
    Hi Bookman, I have included a whole swag of his vehicles in my CFS3 Stock Upgrade package. His stuff is very nice, some of the texture mapping is a bit complex so I find it sometimes renders oddly at close range, but I have taken some of the 2048 texture sheets and even scaled down to 512, they look excellent, for the Tiger, for example.

I enjoy having some of these vehicles pop up in stock facilities, makes for more variety. In particular the flak 88s are a work of art and make the facilities come to life.

One trick - in my Upgrade Package you will find that I have put all his vehicle textures into one subfolder in the Vehicles folder. This is because Airfighter55 uses the same named texture repeatedly. By getting rid of all the duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates it is possible to save quite a bit of space. CFS3 picks up the correct texture called by the m3d from anywhere within the install. To my mind it is not good practice to have duplicates of textures so I always seek to have only one texture with a particular name in an install.

SOH-CM-2020
    OK I've been meaning to post some pictures.... These are Airfighter55's vehicles in the context of my CFS3 Stock Upgrade package

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/hazo...sc7t7qu/shared

Speaking of Arifighter55, he has been quiet for a while now, I would like to tell him how much I enjoy his vehicles

SOH-CM-2020
    Darn, I wanted to embed those images...

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    His stuff is amazing ! Love the Tiger the most but all are really good.

Please, dont get it wrong, still I wonder if the airfighters models are made from scratch by him, relating to the level of detail vs the weak texture work.

Also notice the level of detail of the gray crew truck vs the armored ones. A totally different 3d model approach. The truck is nicely made.

Next thing I always wondering if this models are optimalised. I think airfighter meant all them as drivable vehicles, because such stuff when scenery bigger formations used, must have a large performance effect.
    But even as user drivable stuff it looks not optimally made.

As I wrote at other thread, such things can look great when wisely made with 10x, 50x, 100x less polygons

SOH-CM-2020
    Well all I know is that the texture work is unconventionally done, my approach has been to gather all the textures from dozens of his vehicles so as to decrease the number of triplicate, quintuplicate textures all residing in individual vehicle folders. However, I am very loathe to criticise because at least he did the work so I have always said "thank you"

well, if this therad point is if such unoptimalised vehicles worth downloading, then I just say really No.

I still fully stay for what I wrote and comments like yours all perfectly awaitable

SOH-CM-2020
    I think there is agreement here. The models are unconventionally done, as I said. I also greatly reduce the size of the skins for my personal use. However, as I also said, I am loath to bite the hand that feeds me, so to speak!

As a modeller you are in a better position than me to make constructive criticism, but I am not a modeller, so I won't go there, I'm happy to just enjoy the new toys in the sandpit.

SOH-CM-2020
    here are Airfighter55s Tiger4, PanzerIVGH, and sdkfz7 with 88mm

Members who have read this thread: 0