C-2 Greyhound and E-2C Hawkeye
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: C-2 Greyhound and E-2C Hawkeye

C-2 Greyhound and E-2C Hawkeye

All,

sorry I have not been very active here on SOH for a while - I have been very busy enjoying my vacations and then coming back to work was intense...

I just wanted to let you know that the C-2 Greyhound and the E-2C Hawkeye are coming for both FSX and P3D. No release date has been set yet, but I hope they will be released before Chirstmas.
    The external models are pretty much done - the E-2 needs some minor detail, while the C-2 is done. Both will have the old 4-blade prop and the new 8-blade NP2000.
    They will both share the same VC model, which is a sort of "average" between the C-2 and the E-2 cockpit (they have very similar but not identical cockpits in reality). At the moment the cockpit has "steam" gauges, but I hope to squeeze in also the digital version.
    Roy Holmes is doing the flight models.
    This is a payware effort in line with my previous offerings...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 40919606_2219278488085600_7364948629997486080_o.jpg   41314370_2219278651418917_6218835563382833152_o.jpg   41237189_2219278768085572_2669005373381279744_o.jpg   40142140_2203087793038003_6682884712173666304_n.jpg  

Great news, excellent work as usual

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cattaneo View Post
    All,

sorry I have not been very active here on SOH for a while - I have been very busy enjoying my vacations and then coming back to work was intense...

I just wanted to let you know that the C-2 Greyhound and the E-2C Hawkeye are coming for both FSX and P3D. No release date has been set yet, but I hope they will be released before Chirstmas.
    The external models are pretty much done - the E-2 needs some minor detail, while the C-2 is done. Both will have the old 4-blade prop and the new 8-blade NP2000.
    They will both share the same VC model, which is a sort of "average" between the C-2 and the E-2 cockpit (they have very similar but not identical cockpits in reality). At the moment the cockpit has "steam" gauges, but I hope to squeeze in also the digital version.
    Roy Holmes is doing the flight models.
    This is a payware effort in line with my previous offerings...

That's great news Dino! Naval aircraft are always a very welcome addition!

Cees

Great News

It has been a long time in coming for these venerable staples of the USN as well as other navies. Progress so far is fantastic. Looking forward to them.

I'm really looking forward to these! It will be nice to able to replace the old Abacus models...

Mark

Thanks for the update Dino, two more great aircraft to look forward to. The images are stunning.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Fills a long standing gap - and by a top modeler!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Great news! Been waiting for a proper version of these for years!

Best regards,

Seawing

Hi Dino,
    as I saw it yesterday, the VC will be te same (gauges ect, its ok for me too), but the whole frame of VC the same too?
    Both planes has different size of windows and frames. 3D models examples:

E-2:

C-2:

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I'll be standing in a long line for these from a top modeler .
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

Looking forward to both of these Dino!

@YoYo

Currently I plan to use exactly the same cockpit model for both. Apart from the fact that I would not take the renderings you picked as a reference (one being from the 3D model of the cockpit of the E-2 on sale at Turbosquid - by the way I am using part of this geoometry - and the other being from the abandoned C-2 project from another developer) in the real world there are a number of differences:
    - As you pointed the shape of the outside windows is slightly different, as they are more angled in the E-2 and the nose is longer, but frankly the difference in reality is not that big (in my models they are closer to the E-2).
    - The glareshield shape and the main panels are also slightly different in size, but again, differences are minor.
    - All the E-2C have digital gauges for the engine instruments, while all the C-2 have mechanical dials (my model has mechanica dials...that is incorrect for amy E-2 later than the -B).
    - The "roof" of the cockpit is almost identical, and so is the central section.
    - The C-2 has an additional row of buttons on top the cockpit glareshield (absent from my model)
    - The side panels are considerably different, with a number of instruments in the E-2 which are absent from the C-2 (my model is closer to the E-2)
    - Of course the E-2 lacks the cargo door controls etc.

(Picturer below are almost 1 month old...the one in the initial post are more representative of the final product, but still WIP).

"My cockpit" is a sort of average between the two - surely a number of purists will disagree on this choice, but I felt it was the only way to deliver both airframes in a reasonable time... Frankly it does not look particularly bad or out of place on both.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image2.jpg   Image122.jpg   Image5542.jpg   Image4.jpg  

...and in reply to two FAQs I've received on my Facebook page, since (at least for the moment) the cockpit model is shared):

- The C-2 does not have a passenger view.

- The E-2 does not have a radar operator view.

Once the "main" cockpit model is debugged, I'll see if it makes sense to add at least the latter... but my priority is to offer a "digital EFIS" variant, as all the aicrafts that have the NP2000 props have it...and it should not take that long to do it.

With the current pace, a Beta 1 version will be ready by the end of September (with at least the C-2) - Ideally I'd like to release the final package before the end of November.

Hey Dino! Glad you came to the rescue as I was totally bummed out when Virtavia released their E-2 for steam only. Not only this but you're doing a Greyhound as well. (I've always thought that Greyhound was an odd name for a rather portly aircraft!) Are you marketing these separate or together as a single release? After the Typhoon (thanks for the Gina texture BTW!) I'm really looking forward to them however they come!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    (I've always thought that Greyhound was an odd name for a rather portly aircraft!)
    Might be completely wrong but I always thought it to be a reference to old Greyhound buses, makes sense given that the C-2 is a bus/truck for the fleet.
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

@Josh Patterson

The original intent was to market them together as a package...but the latest build started to be a little too big in terms of file size / features... I'll take the final decision after the Beta.

@fallenphoenix1986

...as far as I know your are correct!

Dino, I for one would love to see the Radar Operators position modeled. As a member of a multiplayer group having a carrier borne AWACS would be fantastic!

At the moment there are a couple of problems in modeling the radar station(s).
    First, and at the moment most important, it will disrupt the commonality of the virtual cockpit models - making the project much harder to manage.
    Second, the documentation publicly available on the E-2 is abundant, but radar station is not covered in the flight manual (apart from occasional mentions) - so there is not much to start with.
    We'll see later on - the important thing at the moment is to complete and debug the baseline design...and later we can see how to expand it.

These addons will be welcomed by many. The last available payware Hawkeye I remember was only available for FSX Steam. I wonder how that one is selling.

Awesome news Dino! I've wanted a C-2 for a long time. The cargo plane with the coolest paint schemes.

Again, more great news. Anything you make with a hook (as well as without) always great stuff.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

The artistic license is fine with me.

Also, it should keep away the rivet counters. So, win/win!

It will be nice to see how it works with arresting system of SWS Midwaygroup .
    I have it but never installed , not many time for this so I’ll wait for C-2/E-2.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Data and pictures are scarce because most of the electronics are classified, but i did find this cutaway view:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yourfile.jpg  

Indeed the avionics are classified - the flight manuals, however, do report the general layout of the station (in order to depict where the radio controls are) and there are pics here and there.
    None is clear enough to read the labels on the switches, however.
    Anyway, I think we could live with some guessing and a little bit of fiction... in any case the radar system would need to be adjusted to FSX/P3D.

Also, I have placed a poll on my facebook page to collect potential users' preference on going for a single package (E-2 and C-2 models in one product, shared cockpits with some inaccuracies) or two separate packages (C-2 and E-2 sold separately but with more accurate cockpits - and possibly the radar station for the E-2).
    Should I decide to go for separate products, the E-2 may slip after Christmas.
    Aside, the price of each package will be the same of my previous offerings (25€ plus taxes) - just because it makes accounting much easier...

Members who have read this thread: 2