Something coming from Robert Richardson...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something coming from Robert Richardson...

Something coming from Robert Richardson...

Rob's teasing us again...

http://www.robertjamesrichardson.co.uk

A.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScreenCap_01.jpg  
    Last edited by aardvark62; September 8th, 2018 at 10:58.

Early days but I really like the Griffon Seafire's so I'll probably finish this one.
    With this particular line of aircraft there are probably a few who know a little more about them than myself.
    Do I really want to suffer the "slings and arrows of outrageous" rivet counters?
    Oh well, it's never bothered me before.....

Keep the rivets, crazy glue works fine! Are my eyes bad or are those counter-rotating props? They oughta twist the fuselage into a pretzel!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

SOH-CM-2023
    Waiting for the CMC Leopard too...
    You can't take the sky from me...

Yes! Thanks for making this Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Keep the rivets, crazy glue works fine! Are my eyes bad or are those counter-rotating props? They oughta twist the fuselage into a pretzel!
    Yep, the Mk.47 had contraprops on the Griffon.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Great choice of project, Robert!

Jim Smith's Seafire 47 VP441, the last one flying (though Jim has since retired himself from flying warbirds, but the aircraft can now be seen on static display at his "Stonehenge Air Museum" in Montana):

Here is a photo (by Philip "The Ghost" Makanna) taken some years ago of Nelson Ezell flying Jim Smith's Seafire 47. Ezell Aviation was the company that restored it. The aircraft, VP441, was restored with a number of redesigned features. It has extra fuel tanks added in the gun and ammunition bays, increasing the fuel capacity to 230-gallons (six internal tanks in all), so that it would have much longer "legs" than originally. The original air brake system was taken out and individual hydraulic brakes were installed with toe brakes. The flaps were modified to be controlled hydraulically as well, rather than by air pressure, so that they can be set in various positions (rather than just up or down). The radiator doors were modified so that they are electrically controlled and can be set in various positions as well (via a toggle switch). The only air system that actually remains in the aircraft is for fuel transfer, which is just fed off of the vacuum pump. Ezell Aviation was also forced to design their own wing fold hinges and locking mechanisms, since they didn't have those parts and no original drawings were to be found. An original Griffon 88 (which would be correct for the Seafire 47) was not available so they used a Griffon 58 from an Avro Shackleton. The prop unit is also a cut down Shackleton prop unit, shortened to 10-ft diameter. One of the unique features of having this Shackleton bomber engine/prop setup is that the prop is fully feathering as well, so this particular aircraft also has a red feathering plunger/button on the instrument panel. From Nelson Ezell's pilot report on flying it, it is an absolute dream with no bad habits. Of course with the counter-rotating props there is no P-factor and the aircraft tracks straight. In-fact rudder trim is never needed and Ezell comments that you can literally rest your feet on the floor while "driving" it around the sky with just the stick, like a jet.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Great choice Rob ! I live in Montana and have seen the Seafire John mentioned up close and personal at The Stonehenge Air Museum , about a 40 minute drive from my house. Looking forward to your creation. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    Waiting for the CMC Leopard too...
    Drop me an email Brian, I'll send you a link.
    I didn't release it as there was no interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Great choice of project, Robert!

Jim Smith's Seafire 47 VP441, the last one flying (though Jim has since retired himself from flying warbirds, but the aircraft can now be seen on static display at his "Stonehenge Air Museum" in Montana):

Here is a photo (by Philip "The Ghost" Makanna) taken some years ago of Nelson Ezell flying Jim Smith's Seafire 47. Ezell Aviation was the company that restored it. The aircraft, VP441, was restored with a number of redesigned features. It has extra fuel tanks added in the gun and ammunition bays, increasing the fuel capacity to 230-gallons (six internal tanks in all), so that it would have much longer "legs" than originally. The original air brake system was taken out and individual hydraulic brakes were installed with toe brakes. The flaps were modified to be controlled hydraulically as well, rather than by air pressure, so that they can be set in various positions (rather than just up or down). The radiator doors were modified so that they are electrically controlled and can be set in various positions as well (via a toggle switch). The only air system that actually remains in the aircraft is for fuel transfer, which is just fed off of the vacuum pump. Ezell Aviation was also forced to design their own wing fold hinges and locking mechanisms, since they didn't have those parts and no original drawings were to be found. An original Griffon 88 (which would be correct for the Seafire 47) was not available so they used a Griffon 58 from an Avro Shackleton. The prop unit is also a cut down Shackleton prop unit, shortened to 10-ft diameter. One of the unique features of having this Shackleton bomber engine/prop setup is that the prop is fully feathering as well, so this particular aircraft also has a red feathering plunger/button on the instrument panel. From Nelson Ezell's pilot report on flying it, it is an absolute dream with no bad habits. Of course with the counter-rotating props there is no P-factor and the aircraft tracks straight. In-fact rudder trim is never needed and Ezell comments that you can literally rest your feet on the floor while "driving" it around the sky with just the stick, like a jet.

Thank you for posting this Bomber 12th, I really enjoyed watching it. The airstrip looks wonderful, like a country road with big ambitions. An excellent restoration of the Mk 47.

Great choice Robert. Definitely a beautiful and very interesting aircraft!

I'm sorry to hear that there wasn't much interest in the Leopard. For me the lack of a propeller makes in less interesting for me, but I can't imagine that this is valid for the rest of the simmers.

Thanks,
    Huub

Nice one Rob and thank you in anticipation.
    A great contrast between the Mk.1 and final version.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Great choice Robert. Definitely a beautiful and very interesting aircraft!

I'm sorry to hear that there wasn't much interest in the Leopard. For me the lack of a propeller makes in less interesting for me, but I can't imagine that this is valid for the rest of the simmers.

Thanks,
    Huub
    Ditto here as well, after the Shark (another beautiful airplane that was never officially released) I was hoping that Rob would make this available to the masses. Just because they don't fit the mold of all his previous offerings (mostly British Military Classics), people should show more interest in anything Rob puts his heart and soul into. We know the quality of his work. . .we should show a bit more support and interest and give him reason to release these beauties.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

well put Ed! I too would echo what you have said and be glad to have any and all Rob's offerings... they're for the most part unique and good fun!

Griffon 58

Interesting article about the engine in the Seafire.

http://stonehengeairmuseum.org/rolls-royce-griffon-58
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Griffon-58.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    Drop me an email Brian, I'll send you a link.
    Very cool looking plane! I was unaware of this plane until seeing this post and that is unfortunate as it has an interesting history as being a precursor to the current light jet craze going on at the moment. I think you should have released it in inspite of peoples opinions about as you make quality aircraft and that in itself is a reason for releasing it.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Ditto here as well, after the Shark (another beautiful airplane that was never officially released) I was hoping that Rob would make this available to the masses. Just because they don't fit the mold of all his previous offerings (mostly British Military Classics), people should show more interest in anything Rob puts his heart and soul into. We know the quality of his work. . .we should show a bit more support and interest and give him reason to release these beauties.
    Thank you very much Ed for the kind words.
    I do understand that just because I like any particular aircraft it doesn't mean others will.
    I get a bit lazy when it comes to finishing things off if there is no interest.
    I just move on to something else.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    well put Ed! I too would echo what you have said and be glad to have any and all Rob's offerings... they're for the most part unique and good fun!
    I also agree with Ed, Rob’s aircraft are beautiful and fun to fly. I was awaiting the Shark being available again and now this beauty appears.

I hope you release them, rivet counters be damned!

Bob

Looking forward to the Seafire. I might just have to park my old AH Mk III.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Ditto for me, also. I have all of Rob's aircraft, and they are all beautiful works of art. No complaints on any of them. I only wish I had more personal time to enjoy them. Looking forward to the Seafire.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Blog Entries
    Oh yes. Great new Rob!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfee1 View Post
    Interesting article about the engine in the Seafire.

http://stonehengeairmuseum.org/rolls-royce-griffon-58
    Just for clarification, the Griffon 58 is not accurate to the original Seafire 47's, it is only correct in the sense that it is the type that is used in Jim Smith's restored Seafire 47 (the 58 is actually a Griffon type originally used in Shackleton bombers). Originally, Seafire 47's were powered by Griffon 88 engines, but none of which could be sourced when Jim Smith's Seafire 47 was restored. There has been a standard practice setup to allow the use of the Avro Shackleton Griffon 58 engines in a number of the Griffon-powered Spitfires flying today (kind of like how a few Mustangs flying today use Transport Merlins, or sections of).

The Griffon 88, as originally used in Seafire 47's, were rated at 1,935 hp at sea level on take-off using the military take-off power setting of +18.0 lb. boost (66.4-in MP)/2,750 RPM (max RPM) - that would be throttle to the gate/stop. The Griffon 88's max military-rated performance with the 2-stage supercharger in low-gear was 2,350 hp at 1,250 ft ASL, using the max military-rated power setting of +25 lb. boost (80.8-in MP)/2,750 RPM, and in high-gear at 15,750 ft ASL producing 2,120 hp using the same max power settings of +25 lb. boost (80.8-in MP)/2,750 RPM. The high power setting of +25 lb. boost/80.8-in MP was only attained by pushing the throttle through the gate/stop and was only possible with 150-octane fuel, though which was standard at the time the aircraft was in service. Running only 100-octane fuel as warbirds do today, I think the typical max power that could be had today is around 55-in MP, which I think is probably around +14 lb. boost (?).
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    There's always interest in whatever you're tinkering with Rob
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Cool looking Supermarie Spitfire MK47! I definitely am interested in this.

Here's a short video of startup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n31Ku-y7jA

Here's another video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YioXYhbVPA

Rob I would certainly appreciate a link to the SMS Leopard project and hope you finish the The Shark aircraft too.
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses". - Elwood
    Learn more about the mission of the Collings Foundation here - www.collingsfoundation.org
    Collings Foundation Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/collings.foundation

Members who have read this thread: 0