Major G2K malfunction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major G2K malfunction

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon5 Major G2K malfunction

Hi guys,

Ran into a problem with G2k.

Recently I have been quite busy building new scenery using my regular old, tried and true, install of G2K. Last night, for the first time in years, and the first time on this Windows 8.1 Pro computer, I decided to use G2K to generate some RAW files to use as a starting point in EZLandclass WC project.

Well, when I clicked on G2K's "BGL generate" button, I got some French message (I suppose saying that G2K was unable to generate a BGL).

I didn't think twice about it. I was expecting it as I knew that G2K would not generate an LC/WC bgl but would generate the RAW files, which is all I was after. So, I clicked OK (or whatever it said) and G2K generated the raw files.

Anyhow, using G2K I continued revising the WC project but this time when I went to generate the raw files, the same message popped up and I got no new raw files. When I loaded up a couple of other LWM, files that I had only a few hours before been editing and compiling with no issues, G2K wouldn't compile them either. Upon further investigation, it turns out that G2K will not compile any more bgls at all. It simply refuses!

I have tried everything I could think of. Re-started the computer. Re-installed G2k and the its associated DLLs. Even went so far as doing a system restore to a 2 day old restore point. Still no joy.

No matter what LWM I use to try to generate a BGL I get following same 4 messages:

There seems to be some issue with not being able to find BGLC,exe at the specified path. But that is rubbish. BGLC is right there at the specified path exactly where it always has been for years.

I am stumped. Any insights would be very welcome. I might start having withdrawals if I don't get back to making scenery with G2K- soon! ;^)

Thanks,
    Chris
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Icon22 The plot thickens!

Just tried to compile a bgl using EZLandclass which, along with G2K, I have recently been happily compiling bgls without batting an eyelash.

Got the following message:

As with the messages from G2K all of the files called out as missing are present and accounted for in the same places they have always been.

I am beginning to get a bad feeling about this. Perhaps a CPU problem?

Chris
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Check and see what update Micosuck installed and uninstall it would be my only guess....
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Check and see what update Micosuck installed and uninstall it would be my only guess....
    Hiya Allen,

Yes, I guess. Except I keep MS updates on a very short leash on my rig. I only let it check for updates- no auto-downloading or installing allowed. And important updates to Windows only. Haven't installed any Windows updates in well over a month. Have a reminder notice that shows whenever I boot up or shut down.

Maybe going ahead and installing the latest update might fix it? Fat chance, eh? ;^)

I am beginning to think that something more fundamental to the workings of the computer may be the issue.

Chris

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Uh oh, this doesn't look good

Just tried EZ Landclass & G2K on my system & no issues compiling (WIN 7 Home Premium O/S).

Early sign of a failing hard drive perhaps?

Hi Chris,

Have to agree with Allen, after all it is 8.1. Have you done/or the pc done a Windows update? If so you could remove the Windows updates, and see.

As your files are still on your PC, it's unlikely to be your anti-virus doing this. As most AV progs would quarantine or delete the .exe files.

As the .exe's are there, then possibly they have been 'lost' by the Windows registry, so their presence or location have been 'forgotten'. You can re-register your prog .dll's with Windows (again YouTube will show you how-to). You could install the progs to another location and then copy over the missing .exe's to your original installs.

And then there's backing up your current prog install, then re-install the whole prog to the original location, and then over-write with your backed up prog files, so that you get your settings and projects back etc.

The last thing you could try is a pc Windows restore, to a date you know the PC was working fine, if you don't know how to do this, look up on YouTube, and follow.

Frustrating I know, but it won't be your CPU, but could be your HDD, so run a full HDD disk check, and please don't do the restore as the first thing, as it's an 'all or nothing' way to fix a small problem, and can go wrong.....

Cheers,

Shessi

You probably already know this......

....but I did a quick search and found this on .dll's.

Run the sfc/scannow command to replace any missing or incorrect operating system related DLL files.
    1. System File Checker (the proper name of the sfc command) will replace any damaged or missing Microsoft supplied DLL files.

Just a tidbit for a memory refresher.

Icon22

Hiya Shessi & UT

Yes, UT I am definitely getting a bad feeling about this situation. However, I have been on the cusp of getting a new PC for some time now. Gonna have to get on it and do it.

I keep my rig religiously backed up especially when I am building scenery- sometimes two or three time a day.

My old war-horse XPPro rig went south on me a little over a year ago. Which forced me to turn this HP laptop into my full time all-purpose computer. It just isn't a work-horse.

I am running a jury rigged set up right now. Turns out this HP has a faulty (documented) left-hand side monitor hinge that started binding on me and eventually"broke". When it broke it took out the visual on the monitor along with all the sound for the computer. Luckily I am still able to see everything with my old Samsung SyncMaster monitor plugged into the LT's VGA port. But I have to keep the laptop open all the time now so as not to do any more damage to the guts of the goofy thing.

Shessi, the backup, reinstall, overwrite deal I did first. No joy.

All of the exes mentioned in the messages are present and correct. The paths havne't changed in years and Norton hasn't done anything with them.

As for the possibility of some random windows update having caused the problem- I just don't think so. Like I said, I keep my Windows update on a very short leash: auto-update-check okay. Auto-downloads/auto-installs verboten. Until about an hour ago I hadn't installed any Windows updates in over a month- and this problem started just last night.

Its odd that it started with that one time very unique compilation of the G2K LandClass LWN. That was the very first time I had ever seen such an error message and the very first time I had ever tried to compile a G2K LC LWM since switching over to this computer. But I guess all such system related issues have to start someplace.

As a last resort I did a system restore, the only one I have ever done on this rig, to the most recent, two-day old, restore point. It went smoothly but it didn't fix the problem.

After that I went ahead and did the pending Windows update. It also went smoothly but it too didn't fix the problem.

The device manager shows no open issues.

But yes, I guess I should run the diagnostics on the hard drive just to see if anything shakes loose.

I am now officially in the market for a new computer. I've put it off long enough.

Cheers guys, and thanks!
    Chris

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Fibber View Post
    ....but I did a quick search and found this on .dll's.

Run the sfc/scannow command to replace any missing or incorrect operating system related DLL files.
    1. System File Checker (the proper name of the sfc command) will replace any damaged or missing Microsoft supplied DLL files.

Just a tidbit for a memory refresher.
    Hiya Fibber,

No I didn't know this. Nary a clue. Thanks Fibber. I'll give it a shot. The instructions and information at the linked website seem straight forward enough.

Chris

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

MR...

...to paraphrase Jimmy Stewart, Yep!

Icon22

No joy.

Chris

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Just a thought here......

...if the G2K worked in WinXP, does ( and I don't have a clue on 8.1) 8.1 have a compatibility mode? Maybe running the G2K with that might help.

Icon22

...if the G2K worked in WinXP, does ( and I don't have a clue on 8.1) 8.1 have a compatibility mode? Maybe running the G2K with that might help.
    A good thought, Fibber.

Except that it was running just dandy in 8.1 for the last year withno hiccups at all until that one errant compilation on its first try compiling an LC LWM.

I will give it a try. But for now I am having some progress with Shessi's idea of fiddling around with re-installs.

I got EZLC back up and running!

Hopefully I can do the same with G2K. We'll see. It will take some fiddling around.

And I will give you idea a go.

Thanks
    Chris

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Hi Chris,

You can re-register your prog .dll's with Windows (again YouTube will show you how-to )... Shessi
    Shessi,

Found a website that has this routine all written down (Method 2 in the text). Think I will give it a go. It will be an interesting exercise if nothing else.

Have tried the two reinstall routines you outlined. Still no jot. But will keep playing with it.

I was able to get EZLC up and running again. But, still, EZLC is for putting the icing on the cake. I need G2K to bake the cakes!

Cheers,
    Chris

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

MR.

..hate to be a PIA but could any of these updates at Avsim pertain to your problem?

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.ph...ded&ScanMode=0

Icon22

..hate to be a PIA but could any of these updates at Avsim pertain to your problem?

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.ph...ded&ScanMode=0
    Hiya Fibber,

Well, I'm not sure how. My G2K setup hasn't been changed or "updated" in years. What did you have in mind exactly?

Chris

PS: BTW, I tried running G2K in XP compatibility mode (SP2 and SP3), but still, no joy. Gonna step back for a day or so and then approach the problem again in a more organized fashion. I have a feeling that I am missing/overlooking something

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

MR...

..I was looking at the last item on page one where it referenced a .dll and some other item correction. Just wondering if maybe that got corrupted on you. Maybe the HP is the one giving the problem. Incompatible driver, double entry of the path (ie; Programs\programs\g2k....... ?)

Icon22

..I was looking at the last item on page one where it referenced a .dll and some other item correction. Just wondering if maybe that got corrupted on you. Maybe the HP is the one giving the problem. Incompatible driver, double entry of the path (ie; Programs\programs\g2k....... ?)
    Oh. Okay. I'll give it another look.

I am planning on backing-up all things G2K and then cleaning this computer of all vestiges of G2K and then doing total reinstall.

First I will just copy to its regular location what I know is a working copy of my G2K install folder. see if that takes.

If not, I will do a nice clean install of G2K and the G2K dlls, keeping your last post in mind.

I'm not going to sweat it too much. This glitch hit me right in the middle of a full-tilt scenery-building jag. I've calmed down now. No longer grasping at straws- anything to continue no matter the cost!

Easy does it from now on! ;^)

Chris

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

I feel your pain, when you're into something 'in the flow', and something beyond your control messes up the whole thing...grrrr!

As we say, KEEP CALM...and carry on...

Do you use CCleaner? If not, a good idea, install (free) and run the registry cleaner (second tab), don't bother to save your registry when prompted and clean out all the dis-used file associations ie .dlls etc. If you don't want to do that , a must after uninstalling your progs, is to re-boot your pc for fresh Windows registry settings, before re-installing progs.

Cheers

Shessi

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    I feel your pain, when you're into something 'in the flow', and something beyond your control messes up the whole thing...grrrr!

As we say, KEEP CALM...and carry on...

Do you use CCleaner? If not, a good idea, install (free) and run the registry cleaner (second tab), don't bother to save your registry when prompted and clean out all the dis-used file associations ie .dlls etc. If you don't want to do that , a must after uninstalling your progs, is to re-boot your pc for fresh Windows registry settings, before re-installing progs.

Cheers

Shessi
    Hiya Shessi,

As a matter of fact I do use CCleaner. Love it.

Anyway, followed your advice. Got very, very by the book. Uninstall, run CCleaner, restart, reinstall.

First attempt was reinstalling in original location- C:\Simming Related\Ground2K. Still no joy. The compute would have nothing to do with it. Period. End of story.

Uninstall, clean, restart.

Second Attempt. Reinstalled to the default path chosen by the G2K installer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ground2K. Results: a bit better, however, whenever I would compile, the program seemed to go through all the proper procedures- no error messages- but no bgl was created. At least none that was in the folder where it was supposed to be. Plus, I couldn't save changes to LWM files- either editing by hand or using the G2K UI- without first going though the permission process and it was just simply too much of a PITA.

Uninstall, clean, restart.

Third attempt. Reinstalled in a new path: C:\CFS2 Scenery Building\Ground2K. Results: starting with a fresh newly created LWM file, was able to compile a bgl no problems. So that's one small step for a man.

Next up will try compiling an old LWM, after hand editing all of the file path parameters of course.

We shall see. So far, so good.

Thanks for the help Shessi, and everyone.

Optimistically yours,
    Chris

PS: successfully compiled hand-edited old LWM.
    Last edited by MaskRider; September 2nd, 2018 at 14:18.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Turn that user account control *poop emoji* off. That is probably the problem.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Icon22

Declaring myself re-opened for business!

Knock on wood!

Cheers,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hurrah!..we couldn't have our venerable 'earth-mover' out of action for toooo long...

Cheers

Shessi

Icon22

Aaahhh. Such a relief!

Been playing around. Rebuilding some old Micronesia airfields, just to get my hand back in: Christmas Island ((Kiritomati), Fanning Island, Maiana Atoll. The airfields on Maiana and Fanning are just "penciled-in". The old Christmas Island field (Cassidy) still works fine.

Cheers,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Simply gorgeous. Must take hours to draw...

Members who have read this thread: 0