Aeroplane Heaven / Just Flight Lancaster released - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aeroplane Heaven / Just Flight Lancaster released

Purchased this yesterday. A great add-on, like their P-47 and Typhoon, hugely detailed and accurate. A couple of points I don't get though. First, I had to fill the port auxiliary wing tank to centre the CG. Anyone else? And second, there are visibility codes in the titles in the aircraft.cfg file. H2S I get but what are FG and LP?? When doing repaints it's quite important. Just thought someone here might know.

Cheers

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    I had to fill the port auxiliary wing tank to centre the CG. Anyone else?
    Was that after a full manual, cold & dark start??
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Was that after a full manual, cold & dark start??
    No, the default flight has engines running. On first flight the aircraft rolled to the right when airborne and required considerable aileron input to maintain level flight. The FSX fuel/payload manager indicated the CG was slightly to the right of the centre line. Checked the aircraft.cfg file for error and found none. Filled the port auxiliary tank, CG centred and all was well when airborne.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

It is indeed a nice model. Love the weathering. I have a couple minors:

Ground handling - is not bad, but the turning circle seems too wide. The Lanc should be able to turn round within a 150ft diameter dispersal pan using differential brake and throttle. So far I haven't been able to achieve this. Or even to turn onto the peri track from dispersal without going on the grass. Could be me of course !

Engine sounds - some engines (though strangely not all) seem to be over-loud on startup, pretty much as if the window is open, which it isn't.

Props - if I End a flight with the engines running (on any a/c), and then start a new flight with the AH Lanc, some of the engines have their props spinning (VC view only, not exterior view), even though the gauges show the engines are not running. Some props are even spinning and stationary at the same time.

Anyone else seeing these, or am I just lucky ? I am running W7 FSX SP2.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Purchased this yesterday. A great add-on, like their P-47 and Typhoon, hugely detailed and accurate. A couple of points I don't get though. First, I had to fill the port auxiliary wing tank to centre the CG. Anyone else? And second, there are visibility codes in the titles in the aircraft.cfg file. H2S I get but what are FG and LP?? When doing repaints it's quite important. Just thought someone here might know.

Cheers

DaveQ
    The Lancaster is produced with several differences between particular examples. So, we control what you see with codes at the end of the title lines. FG stands for Flame Guards and LP for Late Pitot (a more aerodynamic pitot tube fitted to the nose in some BMk1s. If these codes are removed for whatever reason, the models will not show correctly.The code recognoses the title and displays the required model.

Some people are having problems with the fuel system. It is actually quite simple to operate but you MUST select No2 on each side to start. The important thing, which a lot of folks are forgetting to do is to CENTRE CLICK the fuel wheels once you have selected No2. Be careful to CENTRE CLICK ONCE. If you accidentally over-click you will return the tank to a non-locked state and it may switch back to No1 creating a fuel imbalance. Remember to CENTRE CLICK when changing tanks. You should switch from No2s to No1s when about half full. Fuel balancing was a part of the flight engineer's role in a Lancaster.

dvj- The pilot in the middle of your August 30th shot sure looks like Captain Wild Bill Kelso.

Best screenshot I've seen all year... and she's merely sitting on terra firma. No doubt that it's an amazing simulation. Well done Aeroplane Heaven!

Last edited by boxcar; September 12th, 2018 at 15:48.

​.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    It is indeed a nice model. Love the weathering. I have a couple minors:

Ground handling - is not bad, but the turning circle seems too wide. The Lanc should be able to turn round within a 150ft diameter dispersal pan using differential brake and throttle. So far I haven't been able to achieve this. Or even to turn onto the peri track from dispersal without going on the grass. Could be me of course !

Engine sounds - some engines (though strangely not all) seem to be over-loud on startup, pretty much as if the window is open, which it isn't.

Props - if I End a flight with the engines running (on any a/c), and then start a new flight with the AH Lanc, some of the engines have their props spinning (VC view only, not exterior view), even though the gauges show the engines are not running. Some props are even spinning and stationary at the same time.

Anyone else seeing these, or am I just lucky ? I am running W7 FSX SP2.

The Lancaster will turn practically within its own length if you use differential braking and just run up the engines on the driving side. Your engine sounds must be something to do with your set up. The sounds are evenly balanced.

Just for fun, here's a quick and dirty video of the Lancaster turning

https://youtu.be/emW12hF5K1I

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    The Lancaster will turn practically within its own length if you use differential braking and just run up the engines on the driving side. Your engine sounds must be something to do with your set up. The sounds are evenly balanced.
    Quite possible the sounds are something to do with my setup. I'll look into that. Love the clatter at startup. Question though - should opening/closing the window make any difference to the sound level ? It doesn't seem to on my setup.

As for ground handling - to make e.g. a left turn I have been setting full left brake using an external control and then maximum throttle on Nos 3 and 4, again using external controls. This gives me a good turn, but not quite tight enough (for me). What I did find was that if I applied left rudder as well, it tightened the turn considerably. The rudder shouldn't have much authority at that speed with the tail down, but of course on the real a/c differential braking is achieved by pressing the (single) brake lever and then left or right rudder to send the air to whichever brake is required. So in that respect, this is all quite realistic. Are the brakes actually modelled that way ? Reason I ask is that use of the rudder doesn't appear to be reflected in the brake pressure indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Just to prove I wasn't imagining this. Turns out it's visible in the external view also. I'm seeing this on two different systems. If I end the previous flight with engines off, this doesn't happen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AH Lancaster Prop Problem.jpg  

May I suggest that you contact JF's support desk and continue there? I don't think this forum is the right place to discuss this level of detail.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    May I suggest that you contact JF's support desk and continue there? I don't think this forum is the right place to discuss this level of detail.
    Fair enough. No Problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0