PBR Texturing: Introduction to 3D Workflow in Photoshop
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: PBR Texturing: Introduction to 3D Workflow in Photoshop

Blog Entries

PBR Texturing: Introduction to 3D Workflow in Photoshop

Everything you wanted to know about Physically Based Rendering....(Almost).

PBR Texturing will change the way you approach FSX, FSX SE and Prepar3D modeling. The workflow allows the developer to create texture, bump, occlusion and specular lighting in real time, in Photoshop. This short video will show you how Quixel and Photoshop can dramatically enhance your workflow.

Video Link:
    https://www.real.video/5827963522001

Last edited by gman5250; August 28th, 2018 at 15:10.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Thanks "G"!!!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

wow !..hypnotised with that rotating object and that music - I never thought an a/c unit could give me a spiritual experience !! lol . magic stuff .

Great video, thanks for sharing, Gordon. I really hope we can start working with native PBR materials in the simulation soon.

Here's a WIP of the C-7A Caribou pilot's seat I design in the moment. Screenshot is from Quixel's 3Do :

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Man, that's a good looking seat!

I love the Caribou. I saw one when I was really young at an Army demonstration, and they usually have one at the Avalon Airshow.

Good luck with the project.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Great video, thanks for sharing, Gordon. I really hope we can start working with native PBR materials in the simulation soon.

Cheers,
    Mark

I knew you would catch this post Mark.

I like that seat....a lot! I second the motion for PBR.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Thanks "G"!!!
    Good to see ya Ted. And...thanks.
    Thomas Jefferson

I like, but this is above my pay grade... seriously, nice tutorial..

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    wow !..hypnotised with that rotating object and that music - I never thought an a/c unit could give me a spiritual experience !! lol . magic stuff .
    It was putting me to sleep. While interesting, as an aircraft modeler/coder/wonk most of this is of no real help. For scenery folks it certainly shows off some very interesting effects. Of course, I have no idea how much Quixel or CS6 would cost!

Very little was detailed enough though to actually learn other than he clicked here and then there...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

It's $79.00 US.

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    It was putting me to sleep. While interesting, as an aircraft modeler/coder/wonk most of this is of no real help. For scenery folks it certainly shows off some very interesting effects. Of course, I have no idea how much Quixel or CS6 would cost!

Very little was detailed enough though to actually learn other than he clicked here and then there...
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post

I've seen many Quixel tutorials and this is one of the best introductive ones, in my opinion. It nicely shows the workflow, from 3dsmax, working with multi-sub materials (the seat above has nine different materials) that define the different pbr materials later in Quixel, rendering the diffuse map, generating the AO map that you can plug into Quixel, exporting the OBJ, and so on. Then building the project in Quixel, assigning the materials to the color IDs of the diffuse map, and some basic manipulations. It does not cover the more advanced techniques (e.g. adding own layers or plugging in own maps like the details mentioned at the end), but that can't be the intention of an introduction to the complete workflow.

Another thing is translating the textures into non pbr directx materials (diffuse, diff-alpha, and spec) so they can be used in the sim. Quixel has an exporter for that. That would be a nice subject for another video, since it would cover what is most interesting for us devs.

By the way, part of the Quixel package is NDo, which is an absolutely awesome normal maps editor / generator, which in my opinion is worth the price for the package alone and can be used for making the bump maps of aircraft or other models. It works independently from the rest.

During a few times of the year the price for Quixel is reduced. I think I got it for 59 $ or so. The other products they offer are also interesting, like the Mixer / Bridge or Megascan. As for Photoshop, I use the basic Adobe Cloud version (PS and Lightroom) which costs a few bucks a month and is always up to date. That is money well worth invested because I use it all the time.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

I’m waiting for the tut that shows how all the pretty work - which is all the above video shows so far - gets turned into useable FS textures, but I expect that’s where Gordon is going next.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

An impressive video, clearly the shape of things to come, and worth all the cost & effort. Now all depends on the interface that P3D is going to offer.

Blog Entries
    Precisely where I'm going next Tom.

I am of the opinion that we will be embracing PBR eventually, and probably sooner than later. Like Mark said, there are already tools to migrate PBR based workflow into existing platforms...including FSX, once the technique is understood.

This video was indeed, intended to be a look inside the basic work environment for those who are interested, but not acquainted with the new work flow. This introduces the question...is there enough interest in a dedicated PBR thread to warrant further tutorials and discussion? I think so, and I'm sure Mark and a few others would second the motion.

The video I posted gives the PBR Workflow 101, nuts and bolts overview of getting a project into Quixel and getting a feel for what is available once inside. Future video could take a project, like a VC, and break out elements like panel, radios or controls into individual components ready for PBR detailing before being re-integrated into the composite project. Elements like bump mapping in NDO, or fine painting techniques for various assets would make fine subject matter for detailed, and digestible video tutorials.

I have two aircraft projects that are already in Quixel work flow. It would be easy enough to record work sessions and break them into training video if there is an interest.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Precisely where I'm going next Tom. I am of the opinion that we will be embracing PBR eventually, and probably sooner than later. Like Mark said, there are already tools to migrate PBR based workflow into existing platforms...including FSX, once the technique is understood.This video was indeed, intended to be a look inside the basic work environment for those who are interested, but not acquainted with the new work flow. This introduces the question...is there enough interest in a dedicated PBR thread to warrant further tutorials and discussion? I think so, and I'm sure Mark and a few others would second the motion.The video I posted gives the PBR Workflow 101, nuts and bolts overview of getting a project into Quixel and getting a feel for what is available once inside. Future video could take a project, like a VC, and break out elements like panel, radios or controls into individual components ready for PBR detailing before being re-integrated into the composite project. Elements like bump mapping in NDO, or fine painting techniques for various assets would make fine subject matter for detailed, and digestible video tutorials. I have two aircraft projects that are already in Quixel work flow. It would be easy enough to record work sessions and break them into training video if there is an interest.
    HUGELY interested Gordon!! P3Dv4 is getting PBR according to LM. That much is known. Also according to LM, v5 will introduce (good chance) a new gfx engine which will undoubtedly be PBR based. So, if you're a developer and your not familiar with PBR or the tools, you'll be left behind. It's the future, and it's coming to a simulator near you. If you've played any racing sims like Forza or any XBOX/PS4 games all new console games are all PBR. It's the current visual standard. Thanks Gordon.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

My latest from DCS

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post

It would be easy enough to record work sessions and break them into training video if there is an interest.
    Very interested in following your progress "G". Training videos are an excellent idea!

TeD

Bill, Quixel Suite 2 works with Photoshop CS4 (64-bit) and newer. Right now it's on discount and costs $79 – sadly I have a lot more calls on that $79 and won't be getting it just yet
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    My latest from DCS

Hey Rick...I knew you would be on the short list. lol

Great, great pics....love 'em.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for this GMan, I have so many projects going on, not related to FS, that I haven't had time to dig into Quixel. Bookmarked for future reference.

That's a lovely repaint of a much-loved model, and I'm full appreciative of it, but what does PBR actually do ? The DCS Mig-15 already has a selection of colour schemes, and very good they are too, so I'm a bit lost as to what benefits PBR brings to the user. If you are a developer, then no doubt the advantages are manifest, but to this untrained eye there isn't anything that is immediately obvious.

Avoiding initialisms, acronyms or esoteric techno-talk, could someone explain the basic benefits of PBR to this layman ?

Didn't quite escape.
    PBR is "Physically Based Rendering" which means that rather than being 'flat' textures which you need to apply manual shading to, what you do is apply materials with certain properties and the rendering engine creates the textures, meaning that you can have realtime reflections, shadows, if the engine works properly then you can add dirt, snow, whatever, buildup on the model over time as well.

It improves graphics phenomenally. I've been using parts of it (mainly Ambient Occlusion bakes) on my models for ages, but because my models aren't for the user, you very rarely see what the effects are capable of.

Here's quite a nice quick example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cSSIixRTUQ

Ian P.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    That's a lovely repaint of a much-loved model, and I'm full appreciative of it, but what does PBR actually do ? The DCS Mig-15 already has a selection of colour schemes, and very good they are too, so I'm a bit lost as to what benefits PBR brings to the user. If you are a developer, then no doubt the advantages are manifest, but to this untrained eye there isn't anything that is immediately obvious.

Avoiding initialisms, acronyms or esoteric techno-talk, could someone explain the basic benefits of PBR to this layman ?
    Just think of the elements of an object i.e. color, reflection, specular, gloss etc. as being the products of real world physics. Light bounces off of an object and behaves in a certain way. PBR renders those elements based upon the actual physics, rather than someone painting a canvas as something that resembles actual physics. The PBR engine creates a more real world representation of an object, and then bakes it in to a format that a simulator can utilize.
    Last edited by gman5250; September 1st, 2018 at 14:21.
    Thomas Jefferson

Get ready PBR is coming!!!

Posted today...

FSElite has obtained verified documents that suggest that Lockheed Martin are preparing to release Prepar3D V4.4 in Q4 of 2018. Even more exciting is the fact that these leaked documents point to version 4.4 being the first step to enabling Physically Based Rendering (PBR) textures in the simulator.

The internal email dated August 13th states that “Prepar3D V4.4’s beta is available now”.

https://fselite.net/news/prepar3d-v4...2018-with-pbr/

You can see from these images, particularly the first.... There's no comparison. P3D simply doesn't look like this. In fact at the moment, it can't look like this. The lighting engine will not allow it to.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Members who have read this thread: 0