Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

The only Privateer model was a part of the "Wings of Power WWII Heavy Bombers and Jets" release on CD. I have it and am interested in reinstalling FS 2004 and then the "WOP WWII Heavy Bombers and Jets" so that I'll have the Privateer. I remember the model, and it had an excellent VC and there are a number of repaints available. I want to get it converted into native FSX (which is beyond my capability) and then use it in P3Dv4 (I am aware of the gauges issue).

The PB4Y-2 was used extensively by the USN during WWII and lasted in service with both the USN and USCG during the mid 1960s. A few were also converted into forest fire bombers.

Please give me your thoughts and interest in this project so that I can see what I may not have thought about.

Best to you all,

Bill

First Of All...

Shockwave Productions the creator of that CD is still in business so whoever would consider converting it to FSX/P3D would have to obtain permission to do so. Sometimes this is readily given and other times you get a response of something like "absolutely not!!!". I have gotten both. It is entirely in their rights since they are the creators spending hundreds of hours of programming. For yourself personally on your computer you are free to work with the software you purchased from whomever but not share it with anyone.

Just did a Google search and found this link for a PB4Y-2 FS9 Freeware:

https://www.rikoooo.com/downloads/viewdownload/33/105

After downloading it to the desktop (I suggest for all rikoooo or any other auto-installers except payware like Carenado) you will be pleased to know that it contains an original readme from the designer Krzysztof Malinowski that gives permission for any modifications and uploads as long as they are not for pay or to any site that charges download. Now you just need to find someone willing to assist you with your conversions. Like you, that's not me but I did the research for you. I would be very interested in a native FSX of this. One drawback will be the panel is 2D, I do not see any VC which is because this was originally FS2002.

I've tried porting it over for my own use and unfortunately the vc glass is pitch black when viewed from the inside. I've mucked around with darkening the alpha layer on the glass_t texture and while I got it all polished up looking in from the outside, looking out it's still as black as my ex-wife's heart. Which is a shame as the Privateer was why I got that pack in the first place years ago.

I'm going to muck about with it some more and see if I can do anything with it, but I strongly suspect the problem is the model's materials. Now if you knew what you're doing with Model Converter X (I don't), you could make the appropriate changes there. But it would still have to be for your own use.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Try The Other One

I know that I don't have a prayer getting this thing to work in P3DV4 and before I waste a lot of time, do you want to use Kristof's with a 2D panel because not all the gauges are FSX compatible according to FS Panel Studio which means i would have to replace any FS2002 or FS2000 gauges he used in FS2002. Post a reply here and I will give it a go to at least work in FSX and the earlier P3Ds with a 2D panel. I don't use 2D any more either but there is no way I could get a VC for this. I don't do GMAX or any other programs like that. I'm a repainter, not a modeler.

KM's bird was improved upon by AF Scrub http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/sy...=Privateer.zip, says it will work in FS2004, FS9 cpanel config includes a very basic vc view?

Doesn't Work For Me

The MODEL won't give a visible model of it. Tried to open it in MDCX and it won't open. I tried both. I thought that Rikoooo might have gotten corrupted but I also unzipped Simviation's and the MODEL is the same way. Nice thought anyway. If you can help him tgt go for it.

I don't have FSX, only work with CFS2 (you know, that ole sim where you've been able to land & take off from a moving carrier deck for ages, all without the power of a Cray super computer to do it )

MDL shows in MCX140, but as Willy pointed out above, the glass is black (in my case on the external view). I looked through the mdl with MDLmat & couldn't find any material to adjust the transparency that was obviously "glass".

Maybe the easiest thing is to ask Scrubby to redo the model for FSX & P3D, I see he is making his way through a lot of his back catalogue re-issuing them as FSX/P3D only models anyway. Just a thought...

Sounds Like A Plan

I've PM'd him before and he is really a nice guy and easy to talk with. I'll see if he has time. I have a thread here for "Carpetbaggers" and I noticed online that they used the PB4Y2 also. Would be nice to have a native. Would have been great if Virtavia had done that model of Consolidated's in their new release.

I have a "Shockwave - Aircraft Powerpack FSX, FS9, & CFS3" That has "PB4Y-2 Privateer" that works quite well in FSX.
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.

Krzysztof Malinowski's CFS2 Privateer has been made flyable in FSX by Erik Hertzberger. It can be downloaded from Simviation's Library. He has made FSX mods for the glass and prop blur. It also has a working VC with FSX compatible gauges.

I got the Wings of Power WWII Heavy Bombers and Jets many moons ago, think it might have been my first payware purchase. A couple years ago copied the files out of my FS9 folder and they worked well in both FSX and P3D v3 but they were DOA in v4. By reading the panel.cfg was able to figure out which files I needed to copy. At this point I have better replacements for all the AC I am interested except the Lancaster and the Privateer. AH/JF will fix the Lancaster problem soon (I hope) but don't see a decent Privateer on the horizon.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Mike Flahault/Flight Replicas announced that he will be doing a B-24 for FSX/P3D next, following the Bf-109G's and Buchon's. Obviously it is going to be the finest B-24 ever crafted for flight sim, whichever make(s)/model(s). Perhaps with enough persuasion and support for the B-24(s), Mike may end up producing a Privateer as well (despite the many differences)?
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Simviation Download FSX

I am downloading Erik Hertzberger's conversion PB4Y-1 Privateer that says it is FSX. The last one as we all know from above had a defunct or something model. This is 20MB and says VC. I am hopeful. I am going to be critical not because I can do any better but because I have better. The exterior model is very nice for a freeware port-over. Yes it DOES work in FSX which is the only sim I have so I don't know about any others. The VC is poor as is the 2D panels. I think I will stick to flying my Virtavia B-24. The Navy DID use a Lib' for long range search the PBJ - a B-24D. Oh well, I guess we will have to wait for a PB4Y-1 or -2 up to 2018 standards cause we're all spoiled including me.

My bubble is burst.

From Wiki: B-24s were also used by the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps for ASW, anti-ship patrol, and photographic reconnaissance in the Pacific Theater, and by the U.S. Coast Guard for patrol and SAR. Naval B-24s were redesignated PB4Y-1, meaning the fourth patrol bomber design built by Consolidated Aircraft. Navy PB4Y-1s assigned to Atlantic ASW and all Coast Guard PB4Y-1s had the ventral turret replaced by a retractable radome. Also, most naval aircraft had an Erco ball turret installed in the nose position, replacing the glass nose and other styles of turret.

Paint a B-24 blue and instant PB4Y-1!

The PBJ was a Navy/Marines B-25.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    From Wiki: B-24s were also used by the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps for ASW, anti-ship patrol, and photographic reconnaissance in the Pacific Theater, and by the U.S. Coast Guard for patrol and SAR. Naval B-24s were redesignated PB4Y-1, meaning the fourth patrol bomber design built by Consolidated Aircraft. Navy PB4Y-1s assigned to Atlantic ASW and all Coast Guard PB4Y-1s had the ventral turret replaced by a retractable radome. Also, most naval aircraft had an Erco ball turret installed in the nose position, replacing the glass nose and other styles of turret.

Paint a B-24 blue and instant PB4Y-1!

The PBJ was a Navy/Marines B-25.
    You are totally correct and my old age is showing again. LOL. Yes a B-25. And yes again to to -1 as a B-24 in Navy Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Shockwave Productions the creator of that CD is still in business so whoever would consider converting it to FSX/P3D would have to obtain permission to do so. Sometimes this is readily given and other times you get a response of something like "absolutely not!!!". I have gotten both. It is entirely in their rights since they are the creators spending hundreds of hours of programming. For yourself personally on your computer you are free to work with the software you purchased from whomever but not share it with anyone.

Just did a Google search and found this link for a PB4Y-2 FS9 Freeware:

https://www.rikoooo.com/downloads/viewdownload/33/105

After downloading it to the desktop (I suggest for all rikoooo or any other auto-installers except payware like Carenado) you will be pleased to know that it contains an original readme from the designer Krzysztof Malinowski that gives permission for any modifications and uploads as long as they are not for pay or to any site that charges download. Now you just need to find someone willing to assist you with your conversions. Like you, that's not me but I did the research for you. I would be very interested in a native FSX of this. One drawback will be the panel is 2D, I do not see any VC which is because this was originally FS2002.
    Bearing in mind that said Krzysztof Malinowski was the designer of the A2A/shockwave one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    Bearing in mind that said Krzysztof Malinowski was the designer of the A2A/shockwave one too.
    I don't remember ever checking but I'm wondering if the texture mapping is the same?

I don't remember ever checking but I'm wondering if the texture mapping is the same?
    I ported over the WOP PB4Y-2 into my FSX Acceleration and added the FN texture Marine Nationale, flotille 8-F, Indochine 1952 by Marc"cokin"Hardouin. It needed a change of props but otherwise is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    I ported over the WOP PB4Y-2 into my FSX Acceleration and added the FN texture Marine Nationale, flotille 8-F, Indochine 1952 by Marc"cokin"Hardouin. It needed a change of props but otherwise is OK.
    And the view from the vc? That was the killer when I did it. I also added some of Damian "Windrunner" Radice's USN textures for it.

And the view from the vc? That was the killer when I did it. I also added some of Damian "Windrunner" Radice's USN textures for it.
    Black VC but I don't bother with VCs, my personal choice.

Privateer VC

Somewhere or other I got a file called Interior_glass_t.zip (maybe from WOP\Shockwave?) that fixes the VC for me in Acceleration. It is a 32 bit bmp instead of 16 bit with a darker alpha channel. I don't know who owns the file so I'm reluctant to just upload it.

Hi again guys,

After a fight with my WOP installation disc, I finally have a perfect Privateer in FSX. Now to see how to convert it.

As an aside, I also installed my WOP Fw-190's and P-47's. Although the "Butcher Bird's" are also perfect in FSX, all the P-47s have black VC's. This is particularly disturbing as I really liked the WOW XP-72 (which was the counter-rotating 3 blade prop version). I'm going to post a separate thread to see if anyone has experienced this issue (if you know the answer - please tell me in that thread).

Bill

Scott of A2A did an FSX fix for the WoP2 P-47 ... check the A2A Forum. Do you know that A2A issued a version 1.2 upgrade for the WoP2 Fighters set? Again, check the A2A Forum.

I'm also partial to the WoP HB&J PB4Y-2 Privateer in both FSX and Fs9.

Love the PB4Y. I built the "airtanker" FS9 model with ALOT of Miltons help. I was in the process of creating a new one but with a baby due in less than two months.... free time is a dream haha. This one does have the upgraded R2600s. Hoping to get back to this one and the 123.

Members who have read this thread: 1