Very slow FSX install in external drive

Thread: Very slow FSX install in external drive

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Very slow FSX install in external drive

I'm in the middle of installing - or attempting to install - FSX onto a drive external to my desktop. I've seen advice elsewhere stating this move as it turns out is not practical because there exists a funnel between the external drive and the processor in the desktop through which data from the external drive must pass before the processor can display it on the monitor. What I've seen indicates external drives are fine for storage but not for actually running FSX from. Am I interpreting this situation correctly?

I am asking this question because, as I've mentioned, the install so far has been extremely slow. It's taken about 10 minutes for the disk drive to read the disk enough to get the setup.exe to show on the monitor, which means I've not been able to direct the installation onto the targeted drive. I'm thinking part of this problem has to do with the drive reading the disk.

I would agree. The usb interface will be a bottleneck for running the sim from an external drive.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

The difference is (theoretically)

USB 2.0: 43MB
    SATA 3: 600MB

And even USB 3.0 won't save you.

Like you said in your post, external is good for storage (typically backups), but not for running programs on it.

Priller

External drives are great storage devices, but they are horribly slow for actually running programs.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

If you really desperately want to run from an external drive the only way it will work (and not very well) is to copy from an existing installation.
    That works well on FS2004 but it can get unhappy when you unplug the drive.
    Better to install an additional internal HD, preferably an SSD, and dedicate it to FSX.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0