Possible new Caudron G.4 Bomber/observer - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible new Caudron G.4 Bomber/observer

Seems to be working...

Hello all,
    It was the crew members that had to be kept as they were, and that took a long time to discover.
    But, why SCASM wonīt tolerate any alterations there, beats me! I was trying to give them the
    standard, less complicated shape, but it wasnīt allowed. Itīs as if SCASM has taken a liking to
    those specific individuals, and canīt live without them!

Modifications seem to be progressing. Working my way from the nose to the rear, putting in
    the Lewis gun, all the glue, and optimizing different elements as they get their turn, is going fine.

Finally, I managed to fix the rotary engine animation bugs I mentioned a few posts ago, and now
    thereīs only a few glue templates left to be put on the wheels, and itīs done, but Iīll do it tomorrow.
    Itīs too late now...

Parts count is at 147.1%, and SCASM isnīt protesting, and Iīm glad I didnīt give up at the end.
    So, after all, we will fortunately be getting the Caudron G.4 bombers!
    After I finish this one, Iīll do the one with the radial engines.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello Folks,
    Now we are where we were before the spanner got in the works, and all thatīs missing
    is the 2 virtual cockpit gunner-views for TG2, to be implemented via SCASM.

SCASM seems be accepting the build so far, with 148.1% parts, which is a great relief.
    It even allowed correcting the little monkey-heads I had in the FS98 version into slightly
    larger human ones.

The only difference with the SCASM-rejected bulds is the fact that the heads arenīt
    animated, but Iīm not going to push my luck, and it will stay put.

I also managed to improve little details here and there, and little cracks and bleeds, so
    all in all, itīs turning out great.

Here are 2 shots, while I do the SCASM VCīs for the upload.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New1.jpg   New2.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; September 13th, 2018 at 09:20. Reason: wording
    "Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

Hello All,
    SCASMing for the two virtual chase mode views worked fine.
    It was also possible to include a correct display of all the struts as seen from the pilotīs and the gunnerīs position.

Here are a few screenshots of the new VC views, adding to the ones from post #18, although those didnīt yet have the
    strut display correction.

Iīm just finishing the texts and the DP files for the upload.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails View-Gunner-side.jpg   View-Gunner-aft.jpg   View-Gunner-fwd.jpg   View-Pilot.jpg  

This one looks really cool. Only bad point I can find is the propellers are too wide. It looks like the front-facing MG will be cut if the gunner turns it just a little bit!

Close propellers

Hello Roxane-21,
    Interesting observation, thanks!
    I thought so too at the beginning, and Iīm still wondering about that,
    but I think the gun swivelling point is so far forward that the barrel doesnīt interfere with the props.

Drawings show very close propellers - sources quote very good single engined control as a result.
    Anyway, here are a drawing, a screenshot and the AF99 blueprint.

The drawing would show the propeller disc going a bit more than half way into the fuselage half-crossection,
    and the blueprint shows just about the same.

I believe I know whatīs wrong: The simplified swivel supporting point on the model is placed too far back.
    In reality it was a complicated mechanism involving 3 arched metallic ratcheted tubes, but Iīll try to move the
    gun-mount forward, infront of the windscreen, and move that back a bit. There seem to have been several ways
    of handling that.

Anyway, Iīm glad you like the model!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front-2.jpg   Blueprint.jpg   Front-1.jpg  

You are much probably right about the propellers. I might be used to see replicas which often use smaller propellers.

About the gun-mount, there were many versions. If you want to save parts you could use this one, with only three straight tubes:

As you can see the gun swivelling point is right above the front end of the nose.

A good, photo!
    I was just altering the necessary parts to get the swivel point further forwards, but the glue sequence with the windscreen and windscreen-frame fails.

Nevertheless, on this photo, for this
    version they eliminated the front windscreen altogether! Maybe I should do that too - it would seem more logical, as it just got in the way. There were so many different ways of mounting that gun...
    I was just checking some more photos - lots of them show this way of mounting the gun, including Numbers 7 and 9 of Escadrille 47, so Iīll do it that way. Good that you mentioned it!

Hereīs another picture, showing
    a two-gun version. The front mount is similar to the one on your photo, although it seems to be able to come out of the nose to rotate upwards, and also, thereīs no windscreen.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2guns.jpg  

New Gunmount

Hello Folks!
    Thanks to Roxane21īs observant comments, the gunmount is now more correct. The
    front windshield has also been removed, as per photos of the model being worked on.
    Re-SCASMing the 2 Virtual Cockpit views also went well.

Hereīs two screenshots. The slightly-looking-to-the-right VC view is zoomed out a bit to
    make the screenshot look more interesting.

At the moment Parts count is (only!) at 147.8%, so perhaps some better looking propeller
    blurs can be put in. Iīll have to re-SCASM the model again, but Iīll have to do that anyway,
    as the inner fins bleed throught the cockpit when seen from the front. Theyīll have to be
    grouped differently, at the cost of some unavoidable but minor bleeds with the taiplane.

Anyway, weīre slowly getting there!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gunmount.jpg   Gunmount2.jpg  

Hello Folks,
    I have been a bit busy with some other things, and have been delayed a bit with the Caudron.

The tail bleeding through the central nacelle is fixed, but I couldnīt put back the wires between the fins without causing bleed problems, so theyīll have to stay out. At least there is MUCH less display interaction now, which is very satisfactory. Iīve also been able to more finely adjust some vertices, not only on the tail, so thatīs also coming out very nicely!

Then, unfortunately Iīll have to discard the propeller blurs. Despite having an identical radius to the propeller blades, they simply wonīt fit the animated AA propeller disc correctly. This disc only works with 1 decimal place in AA, and re-adjusts the size of the phantom-blades, so Iīll have to leave the blurs out, because making the propeller blades smaller is a bit too inaccurate for me.

Anyway, hopefully Iīll get round to re-SCASMing the model today, and proceed with the upload!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Caudron G.4 with rotary engines.

Hello Folks,
    Iīve just uploaded the Rotary-engined Caudron G.4 bomber/observer.
    As soon as it is authorized, it will be made available at:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=18&id=24551

Thank you very much to all who participated with comments, sympathy and encouraging suggestions!

I hope you enjoy the machine. It is designed to be flown with the program add-on TG2, to fire at the enemy by pointing and clicking the mouse in the Chase-mode target box and firing the guns. There are two virtual cockpit views available, one for the nose-gunner and one for the pilot. Apart from the forward-firing Lewis machine-gun, Pilot and Nose-gunner can fire rearwards using their automatic Parabellum or Luger pistols.

There are also 3 bombs to be dropped using the "oculaire" or eyeball technique...

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the model.

The next one to follow, if I have enough parts (about 120?), will be the same model with two un-cowled 10-cylinder radial engine components fitted onto the engine nacelles. They are more powerful Anzani-10īs with a max. power of 110 Hp.

The 2 x 18 extra horsepower, make the plane about 3.5 mph faster, but the main advantage was that it had progressive throttle, and did not have to be "blipped" for descent, approach and landing.

Letīs see how that goes now...
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot.jpg  

Hello folks,
    Wow, thanks for the demand - that of course translates into moral support!
    12 downloads in under 16 hours is great!

Let me know if anything improvable has to be improved.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Anzani 10-cyl. radial step 1.

Hello folks,
    The Anzani-10 radials have 2 rows of 5 cylinders, offset by 1/2 cylinder width, and are very part hungry.
    This required thrifty employment of parts, and the first test was discarded as the casing bled through the
    cylinders.

However, careful re-shaping of the casing parts between, in front of and behind the alternately
    positioned cylinders bore fruit, and even better, the radials support textures without the dreaded
    filling-in of empty gaps.

Now for a) some decent texturing work, b) the split exhaust rings, and c) proper re-shaping of the forward
    portion of the engine-gondolas!

Parts count is at 147%, and I know that after the vertex clean-up, this build compiles upto 149.5%
    parts, so I still have a few parts left to make the exhaust.

Incidentally, the British markings for this specific RNAS plane,which was license-built by the
    British Caudron Company with engines equally license-built by the British Anzani Company, are
    very similar to the French markings, and in some cases, there are inconsistencies: The outer circle
    in the roundels is red, and the inner circle, blue in some cases, although the colouring on the fins
    would still have the same order - but with a different blue, maybe?

I wonder if anyone knows anything more accurate to this respect?

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any info...
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anzani-step1.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; September 25th, 2018 at 02:22. Reason: wording

Anzani Engines and British roundels

Hello all,
    Some more headway has been made with the British RNAS Caudron G.4:

The 110 Hp uncowled Anzani engines now have their exhaust rings, albeit as 2D semi-circles,
    the engine texture is a bit better, though not defititive yet, and the engine-gondolas are
    shaped more correctly. They have metal-sheet heat-protection around the front behind the engines.

Then, my doubts on the RNAS roundel colours have dissipated, and hereīs a couple of screenshots.

Also, propellers on this aircraft were handed, rotating in opposited directions.
    I wonder if the 3.5 mph speed thanks to the 36 Hp increse increase will be noticeable...

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anzani-step3.jpg   Anzani-step2.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; September 25th, 2018 at 09:56. Reason: a typo

British Roundels contīd

Hello Folks,
    Looking for further information on WWI markings, I found that early RNAS aircraft used roundels with red circles
    filled with white on wings and fuselage sides.

As the Caudron G.4 had a lattice-fuselage, lateral roundels were placed on the engine nacelle sides.

This can be seen on pictures of a Caudron G.4 from No 5 Wing RNAS, Coudekerque, France in the spring of 1916.

Quite soon, it was discovered that the red-and-white roundels could easily lead to confusion with arcraft of the
    Danish Air Force, so the roundel colours were changed to blue-white-red. This can be seen on several pictures of
    single-engined RNAS Caudron G.III Scouts, with these roundels on wings and also on the sides of their central nacelle.

It seems the most logical deduction, that the RNAS Caudron G.4īs would have used the new colour scheme on their
    roundels, which would also have been present on the engine-nacelle sides, so I have opted for this solution.

Hereīs a screenshot! BTW, this build still has the old fwd gunmount and wind-screen, which I have yet to correct,
    as well as changing the nose-art,
    but Iīm slowly getting there!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails British Roundels.jpg  

Brithsh Caudron G.4

Hello Folks,
    Well, the British Anzani radial engines are done.
    Each engine has a component with 62 parts just for cylinders and outside casing,
    plus a structure for the forward casing cone, apart from the prop-axel...
    A bit parts hungry, but they look reasonably fine.

Hereīs a close-up of the British Caudron G.4. Parts count is at 149.6%, and still compiling...
    but I think Iīll stop before something breaks.
    Now for the SCASMing of the 2 Virtual cockpit views, and then weīre done!!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anzani Engines.jpg  

Caudron G.4 with Anzani engines uploaded.

Hello Folks,
    Iīve just uploaded the British Caudron G.4 with Anzani radial engines.
    It will be available as soon as it is approved by the SOH library.
    Hereīs the link:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=19&id=24606

I hope you enjoy the aircraft. It has slightly more power and nerve than the Le Rhône rotary powered version.
    The 10-cylinder engine components are not completely bleed-free from some lateral viewing angles, as cylinders are quite close together, but from more forward or rearward angles they seem to display quite well. Then, the semi-circular 2D exhaust half-rings are rather simple, as parts count is very high (at 149.6%), but look OK from most angles, Iīd say.

The SCASM code to call the different elements to make the two Virtual Cockpit views display correctly was quite complicated, involving orderly calling of wing-struts, engine struts, engine nacelles, cockpit struts, dashboard, a cockpit section, a cockpit-floor section, the pilotīs head, and the wind-screen, but came out working very well!

Here are a few more screenshots, including a shot of each of the two SCASMed virtual cockpit views.
    ...I know some of you like eye-candy! From the gunnerīs position, looking backwards you can see the pilot squinting out of his cockpit trough the lower wind-shield, perhaps ducking.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anzani-Caudron-1.jpg   Anzani-Caudron-2.jpg   Anzani-Caudron-3.jpg   Anzani-Caudron-4.jpg   Anzani-Caudron-5.jpg   Anzani-Caudron-6.jpg  

Smaller predecessor: 1914 Caudron G.3 Scout

Hello Folks,
    Now itīs the turn of the predecessor of the G.4 bomber, namely the single-engined, two-seater Caudron G.3 observer/trainer. It has certain historical importance, and at the time seemed to be fit for the adventurous!

When WWI broke out, the Caudron brothers supplied the French Air Ministry with the G.3, that was used at the beginning, during the battle of the Marne in 1914. It was built in large series, also by other companies, without the Caudron Brothers requiring any rights, thus showing their patriotism. In total, over 2800 units were built.

The aircraft was solid, reliable, manoueverable and easy to fly, capable of loopings and barrel rolls, and was exported to many other countries like Great Britain, Belgium, Russia, Venezuela and the U.S., as well as the Middle East.

Even after the war it was flown in Aero Clubs all over the world.

Impressive feats were achieved with this plane - In 1919, Jules Védrines landed on the Galleries Lafayette's roof, right in the heart of Paris. At that time it was also fashionable to fly under bridges in this plane.

Adrienne Bolland crossed the Andes from Argentina to Chile in 1921, reaching an altitude of 13,000ft. Francois Durafour landed on the west slope of Mont Blanc and took off again.

Anyway, Iīm just doing up the model with the CFS1 improvements I managed to put into the Caudron G.4.

The Caudron G.3 had 1 cowled 9-cylinder, Le Rhône rotary engine rated at 80 Hp with max. 92 Hp, (also Gnome or Clerguet on some models), with a top speed of 67 mph, or alternatively, 1 uncowled 10-cylinder Anzani radial, rated at 100 hp ,with max. 110 Hp, and a top speed of 69 mph.

Here are some screenshots. Itīs easy to see similarities in the design, from which the G.4 was developed a little later.

Iīll be uploading the two G.3 models as soon as Iīve ironed out a few pending minor issues.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caudron G3 Le Rhône.jpg   Caudron G3 Anzani.jpg  

New markings

Hello Folks,
    For the liveries of the two G.3 Scout types (with Le Rhône and with Anzani engines),
    I thought Iīd do the same as with the G.4 Bomber types, i.e. have the Anzani-engined
    one in British colours, and the Le Rhône one in Franch colours.

If someone were to have a different idea or wish, do let me know and Iīll proceed accordingly.
    For now, here are some screenshots of the liveries.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G3-Le Rhône.jpg   G3-Anzani.jpg  

Two Caudron G.3 biplanes uploaded

Hello folks,
    Iīve just uploaded the Caudron G.3 with the cowled Le Rhône rotary engines,
    and French markings. It will be available as soon as it is approved:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=19&id=25063

I also corrected the upload for the Caudron G.3 with Anzani engines and British
    markings, into the CFS1 Aircraft Add-ons section, and the link is:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=19&id=25064

I hope you enjoy the biplanes!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caud3-Anzani-2.jpg   Caud3-LeRhône-1.jpg   Caud3-Anzani-1.jpg   Caud3-LeRhône-2.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; January 8th, 2019 at 05:13.

Intriguing variant

Hello Folks,
    I found technical information, photos and diagrams of a very intriguing amphibian variant
    of the Caudron G.3 equipped with floats, of which 3 units were built for the French Marine.
    One was carried aboard the cruise ship Foudre. It looks really great!

Top speed was 59 mph, a little less than the land-version, given the added drag of the floats.
    It had an 80 Hp (max 92 Hp) rotary engine.

Here are some screenshots.
    The first one shows the model on the water with bottom part of the floats underwater.
    Lift-off is at about 45 mph, and then the submerged section of the floats and the wheels appear.
    It is necessary to have the Add-on "Setclass" installed, and with it, change the Setclass list so that
    all water textures are converted into concrete or something that wonīt crash the floatplane.

The program is actually very easy to use, and is readily found at The Freeflight Site - Thank you Dave

I still have to change the cockpit area between the crew members - the division was much less pronounced.

At first glance it seems a simple copy of a G.3 with a "T" tail and floats added, but deeper scrutiny reveals
    rather more extensive changes. The model is higher, so that the propeller is higher over the water, and it
    has a totally different layout of the lattice-fuselage, wing struts, and central nacelle shape.
    The bottom wing was also larger, and had the same width as the top one.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G3Floats3.jpg   G3Floats2.jpg   G3Floats1.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; January 12th, 2019 at 15:28.

Seaplane amphibious observer uploaded!

Hello All,
    After adjusting and modifying several aspects of the G.3, the Seaplane version is now ready.
    As you will see from the attached screenshots, there are numerous differences.

There were some complications with the upper lattice-fuselage spar and the top end of the fuselage
    struts and wires, that bled through the wings, so they had to be placed in Tail Upper Left/right,
    but with the main portion of the fuselage struts in Tail Left/right. The Blueprint screenshot will
    illustrate it, and it has gone very well.

I have uploaded the model here, where it will be available as soon as it is authorized:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=19&id=25093

I hope you like it!

I love this model! It looks like something you could build in your backyard and fly in the park,
    land it on the duck-pond, get out and buy an ice-cream at the kiosk!

This seaplane had a 5 ft greater wingspan and a wider lower wing to give more lift for the added
    191 lb weight of the floats. The corresponding increase in drag slowed it down by 9 mph, but
    apparently it didnīt hamper maneuverability. Then, although barrel rolls are rather difficult,
    loopings are still possible!

Note that below 40 Knots speed, lower floats and wheels disappear underwater, as can be seen
    in relevant screenshots. Thus, if you are going to land on land, I am uploading the corresponding
    land version of the model as well.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seaplane Blueprint-side.jpg   Seaplane4.jpg   Seaplane3.jpg   Seaplane2.jpg   Seaplane1.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; January 14th, 2019 at 06:40.

Land model also uploaded.

Hello Folks,

...and to complete the upload, the necessary land version of the amphibian is also ready.

I have uploaded it here, and it will be available as soon as it is authorized:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=19&id=25094

Switch to this model when you are flying the Caudron G.3 Seaplane and you are going to land
    on land. With this version of the model, wheels and lower floats do not disappear as if they
    were submerged in the water.

Enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seaplane-Land.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0