A new project, to keep things fun :) - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A new project, to keep things fun :)

Texturing the interior now, no "furniture" added yet and using generic Star Wars textures for the main area. You can see in the shots how the Falcon would have had "levels" were it built for real, in order to fit the external model. Will add seats, the famous holographic chess table and some other bits and bobs, then tidy up before doing all switches and controls in the main VC. Shots taken in Model Converter X for the sake of clarity.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VC1.jpg   VC2.jpg   VC3.jpg  
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Wow, this is full of awesomeness!
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

This is looking great, nice change of pace.
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Some more eye-candy from recent testing. It's proving strangely difficult to get the Falcon into a scenery BGL that will allow users to walk around a "parked" version, and as I'm now short of time I will instead be sticking with the basic Falcon with interior, and some Docking Bay 94 scenery to go with it. P3D v4 users will be able to use avatar mode to walk about, but entering the Falcon's interior will only it seems be possible with Eazy Dock, slew mode or using the VC controls to move about inside. Everything's there though, including R2-D2

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Falcon2.jpg   Falcon7.jpg   Falcon5.jpg   Falcon4.jpg  
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

The thing is, in P3Dv4 when switching to avatar mode, you get the exterior model.
    If you want to be able to go inside the plane, then the following requirements should be implemented:
    - either you lower the "bridge" (main exit) before switching to avatar, or you make a clickable area on the exterior model to trigger it (this might be a P4Dv4 SDK feature only).
    - the bridge has to be hard surface, like the elevators of the Nimitz by Javier for example
    - the interior "corridor" and main room has to be modelled like you did in the VC, and be hard surface too.
    - of course, when reaching the cockpit, we won't see any gauges, because that's the exterior model we're viewing at that point. But that's not a problem, at that point we can switch back from avatar to virtual cockpit mode to reach our seat. In that external model, you don't need to add so much details for the cockpit area, but you'll need the same details you added to the VC model for the rest of the interior, I guess.

I suppose it won't be possible to add to this external model as much details as you planned for your VC (holographic chess table etc...), but I don't know. That being said, your model is just looking awesome. You really exceeded my expectations with that level of details and texturing. Unbelievable !

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    The thing is, in P3Dv4 when switching to avatar mode, you get the exterior model.
    Hi Daube,

I'm using the same process as you described. The issue is with conversion, as some of my materials become oddly transparent when converted into a BGL - the undercarriage, ramp and interior are all invisible so you can't see anything. I'm not sure what would cause that as none of the materials or their Z-write settings uphold any kind of transparency but I'll have to check.

The interior and exterior models are actually going to be the same, barring glass textures which will of course be reversed on the interior model and Han and Chewie, who won't be in the VC. The whole thing is less than 60,000 polygons so performance is ace despite the details. Sometimes, the old-school modeling ways are the best ways...

Extension incoming :

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Extension incoming :
    The Empire's latest cloaking device is progressing well!

So what's going to be the max speed of the Falcon?
    as fun as it would be to peg the airspeed indicator at Mach 4.7, I think it would be rather cool to fly cross-country at airliner speeds in the Falcon, just with more maneuverability
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Quote Originally Posted by SH427 View Post
    So what's going to be the max speed of the Falcon?
    as fun as it would be to peg the airspeed indicator at Mach 4.7, I think it would be rather cool to fly cross-country at airliner speeds in the Falcon, just with more maneuverability
    Well, the FDE was going to be in Pam's capable hands, but as she's out of action for the time being I'm not certain. I know that Pam wanted to give the Falcon a Vmax of about 800 KIAS and a service ceiling of about 90,000ft or so. We'll have to wait and see.

I tinkered about with some suitably Star Wars-esque scenery today

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Falcon94.jpg   Falcon94b.jpg  

Hello,
    Nice project, back to my childhood when i have tried to built a "Lego" Falcon!
    I had the same idea with an older model from Bruce Fitzgerald! But now i saw this thread about a week ago and of course have stopped this project! On youtube there are some good FX sounds from the Falcon and also from Chewbacca! All the best for your project and "May the Schwartz be with you"!

Blog Entries
    Max speed on the falcon.... you guys are gonna hate me, but, having researched most of the various star wars ships and taken full advantage of other researchers work, i can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Millenium Falcon, flew at 848 Km/h when not in hyperspace.. That makes her to be faster than the emperial cruisers including the venator class. And if i every get home and out of these bloody care facilities, thats what she'll fly at..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Max speed on the falcon.... you guys are gonna hate me, but, having researched most of the various star wars ships and taken full advantage of other researchers work, i can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Millenium Falcon, flew at 848 Km/h when not in hyperspace.. That makes her to be faster than the emperial cruisers including the venator class. And if i every get home and out of these bloody care facilities, thats what she'll fly at..
    Can’t leave until 2-1B clears you ... rest up in meantime!

Blog Entries
    Can’t leave until 2-1B clears you ... rest up in the meantime!

Good to hear Pam, hope your recovery is going well.

The Falcon will be completed within a few days now, most modeling is done so it's just texture improvements. Will send it to you when ready and leave her in your capable hands until you're finished with the FDE. No rush, just do it in your own time for enjoyment

Sound developer request

Hi folks,

The Falcon is complete now, but I'm heavily involved in a scenery project and as such am wondering if anybody would like to do the sounds for this wonderful hunk of junk? I have a couple of WAVs with all the main Star Wars sounds on it, including the "comedy" engine-start failure sound, combustion, afterburner and cockpit beeps etc. Not much else required really, just someone with the knowledge to quickly put the sounds together for the finished package.

PM me or just reply here if you're interested

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FalconParked.jpg  

Just updating the thread to report that the Millennium Falcon has now been uploaded to the library here and, once cleared by the admins, should be available to download. Enjoy folks, and may The Force be with you, always...

Thank you very much for your hard work

The way the source book explained it was the Kessel Run was an interception of a retreating ship that had a head start the score being the distance needed to catch it. Example, a car with a half hour head start left my hometown and I caught with him by Milwaukee. I did the run in less than 90 miles. The Solo movie really strangled the logical source book description!

Looking forward to this. It'll slot nicely next to Piglet's Naboo Fighter, Cylon Raider and Colonial Viper. (But there will probably be no bin of Wookie Kibble. One of Tim's signature additions to a cockpit as a dog lover!)

This is such a beautiful work! Thank YOU!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    The way the source book explained it was the Kessel Run was an interception of a retreating ship that had a head start the score being the distance needed to catch it. Example, a car with a half hour head start left my hometown and I caught with him by Milwaukee. I did the run in less than 90 miles. The Solo movie really strangled the logical source book description!
    Yes, you did the run in less than 90 miles, but what color was the hat of train conductor pulling in to San Francisco as you caught the guy??
    THAT is what the teacher was looking for.
    Welcome to word problems

By the way, the correct answer is: Green, because aliens don't eat carrots when sitting on roofs!
    I have no idea, I hate word problems

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

This is wonderful! Thank you very much for this, Dean and friends.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by IFlySWA View Post
    This is wonderful! Thank you very much for this, Dean and friends.

Brian
    You're welcome!

Members who have read this thread: 0