A new project, to keep things fun :)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A new project, to keep things fun :)

A new project, to keep things fun :)

I wasn't going to post about this one, but then I thought, "what the hell?"

After 18 months on the Northrop birds, having learned a hell of a lot and made a lot of mistakes along the way, I wanted to do something a little bit more "fun" for a while. One of the recent joys of flight sim has been the introduction of Virtual Reality, which has transformed flight sim in so many ways. I have a trusty Oculus Rift on my desk here, and as a real-life PPL I can tell you that it's incredibly realistic in FSX and P3D ( especially P3D ). But VR isn't just about flight sim, it can allow us to see the impossible, to experience things that as children were beyond the scope of anything we thought we could ever see.

So, this one's for the 7 year old me, and all the 7 year olds who would have gone batty for the chance to experience this in VR... If you don't know what cockpit this is, you never lived

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VC2.jpg  
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

It looks like Falcon, but Falcon Millennium inside .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    It looks like Falcon, but Falcon Millennium inside .
    And the winner is...

Will be released as freeware for FSX / P3D sometime between now and fall / winter. Muchly enjoying this one!
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Blog Entries
    Cool!

Is the RF-8G still planned? That'll turn a lot of otherwise mature dudes/dudettes into 8 year olds ...

cheers,

dl

Im affraid only this 12 parsecs in FS world .

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Whhhhrrrrrriiirgrrgrgrgrgrgrrr!!! That's Wookie for , "Awesome!"

Fantastic Millenium Falcon cockpit shot!
    Beautiful, just beautiful!

Sadly, the VR stuff doesn't work for me. You need 2 eyes for it to give a 3D impression. I only have one left. Gave up the other to a horse, on my motorcycle, back in Yuma. What he was doing on my bike, I have no idea.
    Ok, dumb joke, I know.

Still, looking forward to the Falcon!
    To borrow a quote, "We're home..."

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

But will it do the Kessel run in 14 (splutter) 12​ parsecs?? Never understood that, it’s like saying only 5 weeks between here and New York...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

She will indeed do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs!

The project is another learning one for me in which I want to develop the skills to apply effects and sounds, as these are a bit unique to the Falcon. It's also to develop scenery, as it's gonna come with a small airport called Mos Eisley...

Planned effects include those big glowing engines, sound effects within the spaceship ( yes, you'll be able to walk about in it ) and special animations in the cockpit where we would normally have standard gauges etc. This, essentially, will include Han Solo's gold dice hanging from the upper cockpit.

The RF-8G is also in development - I have all my drawings and measurements, just having a break from serious modelling to play with this little fun project. I don't imagine it taking more than 3 months as I already have the exterior model well underway...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Falcon2.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    She will indeed do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs!

The project is another learning one for me in which I want to develop the skills to apply effects and sounds, as these are a bit unique to the Falcon. It's also to develop scenery, as it's gonna come with a small airport called Mos Eisley...

Planned effects include those big glowing engines, sound effects within the spaceship ( yes, you'll be able to walk about in it ) and special animations in the cockpit where we would normally have standard gauges etc. This, essentially, will include Han Solo's gold dice hanging from the upper cockpit.

The RF-8G is also in development - I have all my drawings and measurements, just having a break from serious modelling to play with this little fun project. I don't imagine it taking more than 3 months as I already have the exterior model well underway...

Awesome. Punch it, Chewie!

I think your "Falcon" would look pretty good attached to the ISS over Hong Kong. (Orbiter 2010)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MF.jpg  

... but it would freak out the NASA dudes!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

LOL! Yeah, that would spook the astro's on board the ISS, not as much as a wandering Star Destroyer though!

I'm thinking about a Bespin scenery ( Cloud City from The Empire Strikes Back ) as an addition, which would look fab hovering at 10,000 ft among the clouds, but for now it's just the Falcon and the Mos Eisley Docking Bay 94.

I'm working on a couple of "top secret" commercial projects that could transform flight sim in general, really thinking out of the box, and using these various freeware projects as learning curves for the various tasks of design within the sim ( modelling, texturing, effects, sound, scenery and so on ) to bring those skills into the commercial stuff. The more fun I can make that process, the better, as it's a lot to learn...

RF-8G = dream come true!

Kent

repaint possibilities are limited, but still very cool!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

The Falcon owes a lot to WW2 German technology. If you don't believe me, just take a look at those circular vents.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post

I'm thinking about a Bespin scenery ( Cloud City from The Empire Strikes Back ) as an addition, which would look fab hovering at 10,000 ft among the clouds, but for now it's just the Falcon and the Mos Eisley Docking Bay 94....
    Cloud City, that would be impressive. Would it be possible to get it in a stationary position...?

From BSG, Ragnar Anchorage in Earth orbit with the Falcon docked. (Orbiter 2016)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mcq_ia_131.jpg   rag.jpg   rag2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    Cloud City, that would be impressive. Would it be possible to get it in a stationary position...?
    It would be a scenery object so yes, it would hover among the clouds quite easily for reliving those The Empire Strikes Back moments

Not sure how far I'll take all of this as it's not strictly flight sim stuff, but it is a lot of fun and a nice break before tackling the Crusader.

Members +
    Very interesting to where this project is going.

We already have a Death Star project for FS2004, done by the late Garry Smith, that is fully detailed inside, above Australia, with runways.

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Very interesting to where this project is going.

We already have a Death Star project for FS2004, done by the late Garry Smith, that is fully detailed inside, above Australia, with runways.
    I know Gary's name but did not know about the Death Star.
    By any chance do you have any screen shots..?

Members +
    The Death Star project was in beta just before he passed away.

PM me with your email, & I''ll send you pictures.

Regards,
    Robin

Blog Entries
    welllll, I dont have a Death Star, and, if you want to see it a,d even walk around in it you'll have to go there, buuuuuuuttttttt:

Members +

I hope the images are viewable..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New-Death-Star-6.jpg   New-Death-Star-10.jpg   New-Death-Star-3.jpg   New-Death-Star-4.jpg   New-Death-Star-8.jpg  

Blog Entries
    I remember that thing.. I downloaded the x-wing..
    Obviously minecraft cant compare with FSX but its a fun opportunity to dig inside these ships and explore their construction, and well, make a maze here or there to confuse players doing pvp..

once I started a death star, it was getting a bit like this,

English is not my native language, I ask your indulgence.
    Correct me, if you will.

Members who have read this thread: 0