USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA 31) Vietnam era - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA 31) Vietnam era

Quote Originally Posted by navy81 View Post
    Walter, very nice!

One item i am finding a problem with. At night, the F-8 changes to a "glowing" version, using VF-84 livery.
    This is for Hancock and Bonnie Dick (havent yet checked Lex).
    I noted that there is a "F8_CRUS_NIGHTS DDS" file in the texture file, that seems to make every Crusader a ghostly Jolly Roger at night.
    Is there a reasoning for that? Seems quite odd.

Otherwise, your efforts are quite awesome!
    Thanks.
    Deke
    Flight Deck lighting via the "sox lights" array on Carriers typically did light up airplanes quite distinctly if they were in the lights footprint. However, they did cast only a slight amount of return when planes were far up on the bow, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by navy81 View Post
    Day
    Night

Thanks for the comment i send you a pm

Essex air wing

Installed air wing for Essex carriers but are not visible on any carriers. I used the installer and pointed it to the root of P3D V3.3
    All the carriers show in carrier AI but no aircraft. I also cannot find this panel mentioned in the read me:

I didn't find any panel folders for any of the carriers so I am confused as to where this panel is located.
    The air wing aircraft do not show on any carriers, yes, I did use the installer - P3D V3.4

Thanks

Edit: how are the panels activated? What key/keys are used?

Are the elevators/hangers accessible in P3D V3?

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Installed air wing for Essex carriers but are not visible on any carriers. I used the installer and pointed it to the root of P3D V3.3
    All the carriers show in carrier AI but no aircraft. I also cannot find this panel mentioned in the read me:

I didn't find any panel folders for any of the carriers so I am confused as to where this panel is located.
    The air wing aircraft do not show on any carriers, yes, I did use the installer - P3D V3.4

Thanks

in this occasion I used two independent 3d models one for the aircraft carrier and another for the air wing to reduce the size of the aircraft carrier mdl, you must install the air wing with the installer for the chosen simulator, the gauge is already installed in the directory gauges, you just have to add it in the panel.cfg of the plane chosen,

Thanks

after run the 2 installers you will have this in the BOAT directory of the sim

the hangar deck is only accesible in P3D v3 to v4, you can see the difference in the panel

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FSX_PANEL.jpg   b.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by CIMOGT View Post
    in this occasion I used two independent 3d models one for the aircraft carrier and another for the air wing to reduce the size of the aircraft carrier mdl, you must install the air wing with the installer for the chosen simulator, the gauge is already installed in the directory gauges, you just have to add it in the panel.cfg of the plane chosen,
    As you can see there isn't a panel folder for the installed air wing.
    So, do I create a panel folder for both airwing and airwing hancock?
    If so what files do I put in them?
    I would like to know how the carrier panels are activated - Keys used?

after run the 2 installers you will have this in the BOAT directory of the sim

the hangar deck is only accesible in P3D v3 to v4, you can see the difference in the panel

I understand all of that and I have those directories in my P3D V3 - ^ How do I turn these panels on?

I understand all of that and I have those directories in my P3D V3 - ^ How do I turn these panels on?

the panel to modify is the panel of the aircraft or helicopter that you want to use in the aircraft carrier, it must be in the aircraft folder, not in the models of the air wing, you need to add the entry in the panel.cfg to use the gauge

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails panel.jpg  

the panel to modify is the panel of the aircraft or helicopter that you want to use in the aircraft carrier, it must be in the aircraft folder, not in the models of the air wing, you need to add the entry in the panel.cfg to use the gauge

Okay, I understand that part. Now, I cannot see any of the planes on any of the carriers. I used the installer for the air wing planes and installed to P3D V3.4
    The airwing files are in the Boats directory however, they don't show up on any of the carriers when selected.
    Last edited by gray eagle; December 30th, 2018 at 11:46.

Okay, I installed the panel file into one of my helos and landed on the CVA 31 - the panel comes to view and when chose one of the deck config, no aircraft are on the flight deck, yet
    I did install the airwing files and they are in the P3D V3 boats directory.

EDIT: what ever flight deck config I choose from the panel, launch/recovery there are no aircraft visible both Hancock and Bonnie Dick.

I tried both FSX and P3D versions and no joy.
    Last edited by gray eagle; December 30th, 2018 at 11:45.

Issue resolved. The helo I chose for the carrier panel had a carrier panel from the Kitty Hawk therefore it was confused.
    I chose another helo and the carrier panel config works just fine.

Blog Entries
    Hi - been so busy I still didn’t get this.

Does it / can it work with RFN Tacan and the other RFN gauges tied to the boat versus those tied to the aircraft?

Thanks.

DL

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Hi - been so busy I still didn’t get this.

Does it / can it work with RFN Tacan and the other RFN gauges tied to the boat versus those tied to the aircraft?

Thanks.

DL
    yes, there should not be problems with compatibility

Blog Entries
    yes, there should not be problems with compatibility
    OK, but doesn't the boat have to have a pre-programmed TACAN frequency "baked in" when created, such that later, when the RFN gauge is put in a given plane, it can be tuned to that particular boat's TACAN frequency?

I'm not sure how it could be added on retroactively. I admit, I'm no expert on the RFN gauges ...

DL,

The RFN gauge has text document RFN.cfg I think. In that you can enter any AI boat you like and assign a TACAN or radio frequency to it.

Cheers.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Navy Cruise Books

If you're looking for cruise books and photos, this is an excellent resource Unofficial Navy Site

Edit: I missed that @Expat had previously mentioned this site, but I'll leave it anyway...
    Last edited by FlyingsCool; April 22nd, 2019 at 13:24.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    If you're looking for cruise books and photos, this is an excellent resource Unofficial Navy Site
    Thanks - a very interesting link
    Henrik

In simMarket's product page, states :
    The static air wing for the 3 models can be downloaded free
    Anyone knows the link for the air wings that can be downloaded for free ?
    Thank's.
    My Military Flight Videos :

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    If you put a "Whale" in the Hangar Deck, don't forget to fold the tail or it won't fit! (Gotta check my model to se if the tail does fold - I forget --)
    If you have Virtavia's, yes it does!

Blog Entries
    Can someone who bought this confirm whether or not the static F-8 Crusader’s nosegear has what appears to A-7 twin wheels and a launch bar. I mean, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    If you have Virtavia's, yes it does!
    My bad. It does not fold. The A-5 Vigilante's fin does as does Dino's S-3. Although I don't think either served on the BHR. (The Viking never did as its first flight was after Bonnie's last decomissioning.)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    My bad. It does not fold. The A-5 Vigilante's fin does as does Dino's S-3. Although I don't think either served on the BHR. (The Viking never did as its first flight was after Bonnie's last decomissioning.)
    Viggies never deployed on 27C's. Records I have show they deployed on CV-59 and later class carriers (10 squadrons total).

The arresting gear and catapult capability on ESSEX class CVAs was likely the limiting factor. Although the nearly as heavy A-3 could operate on 27C's, the A-3 launch and recovery speeds were more benign, and its fuselage structure more robust. A hard landing in an RA-5C could cause serious damage to the underside fuselage in the area around the main landing gear. The 27C's had a 4 deg glideslope and 10 ft hook to ramp clearance - a lot to ask of an RA-5C pilot to handle.

Members who have read this thread: 1